3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dually in deepsnow??!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dually in deepsnow??!!

Anybody running singles in the rear for deep snow??

It might look funny as heck, but would it give you better "traction"?, I'm not planning on any heavy tows this winter just 2 sleds on a deck.

If I remove the inside wheel and tire and just place the outside back on it should line up with the front tire, but what about payload?.... would it be the same as a 3500 with a SRW axle? (I see lots of these with sleds)

Thanks
R
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Two sleds is only a thousand pounds, unless ride yamahas then it will be more, but either way should work. Better then trying to push those wide duals through the snow. You guys riding up there yet sure wish it would snow down here in MT. Start get the itch real badd.

06 mega cab, edge att, 5" magnaflow, leveling kit, 295/70-17 toyo mt
05 M7, with a long wish list.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 4x2 dually in Co. and it had nearly new M&S tires and it was terrible on ice and snow. I swear the harder I hit the brakes, the faster it went! A neighbor gave me a set of half worn out M&S tires on 8 lug 3/4T rims and they did better than the new M&S duals. And that was a gasser with a lighter front end. The diesels are MUCH worse. Also, the best thing you can do is put a bunch of weight (sandbags or something) in the rear. I had a Grand Am GT (wide tires) that was also terrible for the rear end passing the front so I kept the trunk full of old newspapers in the winter. I'd throw some of them in the recycle dumpster when I couldn't close the lid anymore. Craig
Old 12-09-2008, 10:58 AM

Modjunkie, nope not riding yet! Didn't you guys get a 20" dump in October? I saw pictures on snowest.
I usually make a couple of "dead seals" every year. old truck inner tube full of DRY SAND (this kind of keeps them flexible) if they freeze they slide around.
I wasnt going to buy another dually but the price was unreal, (feel like I stole it!) I had a ton of issues with my previous Dually in the deep snow! especially being first to the parking lots and trail heads, even in 4x4 (stuck 4 times and 4 times deeper) it helped if someone else "broke" the trail in first, but then they had already got first tracks! pout!!!!
I might hav eto give the singles try this winter.
Rob
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the sleds either. Depends on what you ride, the Ski Doos are light, Yamahas are made of lead and therefore you would not want to be the first one on the snow anyway... As for traction, I would say you would want the tires to line up front to back.. And there is nothing like being the first one out on the snow...
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM

i had a srw in wy but the dually guys did it all the time in laramie if you dont like it just bolt em back up
Old 12-09-2008, 08:46 PM

We had a big dump but it melted it all off. Since then nothing, looks like maybe this weekend we might get some more. I agree with snoyes that you probably want the wheels to line up then it would be just like anyother pick up. If the wheels dont line up I wonder what it would cost to have some back spacers built to shim the wheels out?

06 mega cab, edge att, 5" magnaflow, leveling kit, 295/70-17 toyo mts
05 m7 long wish list
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 AM

So are the dually trucks that much worse in the snow even with 4x4? I know my current truck isn't as good as some of my other trucks in the past. I'm looking to get a long bed 6 speed and found a nice dually but I'm concerned because we get some snow up here and I have a long steep driveway. The idea of taking one of the rear wheels off isn't all that appealing to me so maybe the dually is out of the question?

Any thoughts?

Craig
Old 12-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Duallies are pretty bad in the snow/ice, even in 4x4... Because the outside two tires on the dually normally ride outside of where the other vehicles have driven, it forces those back tires to ride in the undriven/mounded up areas and the back tires tend to float. Also, because you have less downforce with the footprint of a dually you tend to not be able to dig down and get good traction. IN general if you need a dually for work or to move large loads frequently, then you make due by compensating with large amounts of weight to increase the downforce to prevent flotation with the rears. However, if a dually is not required, then it would be better for a SRW in the snow.