3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW, 14 pages of responses and not 1 convert!! Everyday I get a new "response" in my e-mail with the heading "Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins" from the Dodge Diesel web site I'm subscribed to. Can we put an end to this thread?? Especially on a DODGE site?? Are we talking about the Dodge wrapper or the powerplant?? I've owned 4 Dodges, 1 2002 Ferd SD and drove a 2002 Dmax while the Ferd was in the shop for the nth time. The last 2 new vehicles I've owned are in my signature. You all know the reason why too - the Cummins!! I average 150k miles a year when I'm busy and none of the three manufacturers can hold up to that kind of abuse, despite meticulous maintenance, without repairs. Go with what ya like and what you want to spend your money on. End of story and hopefully the end of this BORING thread!!
Old 09-07-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by GMScott
WOW, 14 pages of responses and not 1 convert!! Everyday I get a new "response" in my e-mail with the heading "Do Not Buy a Dodge Cummins" from the Dodge Diesel web site I'm subscribed to. Can we put an end to this thread?? Especially on a DODGE site?? Are we talking about the Dodge wrapper or the powerplant?? I've owned 4 Dodges, 1 2002 Ferd SD and drove a 2002 Dmax while the Ferd was in the shop for the nth time. The last 2 new vehicles I've owned are in my signature. You all know the reason why too - the Cummins!! I average 150k miles a year when I'm busy and none of the three manufacturers can hold up to that kind of abuse, despite meticulous maintenance, without repairs. Go with what ya like and what you want to spend your money on. End of story and hopefully the end of this BORING thread!!
Here's another e-mail for you.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hivoltage
I know everyone has their idea of the perfect package but I just don't see how anyone can say the D-Max is better than the Cummins. I've driven and worked both and the D-max just won't hold a candle to the Cummins. The ONLY thing I've noticed about the Chevy is that it's faster off of the line but thats only when empty. I don't think they're horrible but they just won't hang with a Cummins....period!
Well I've driven and worked both for hundreds of thousands of miles and it is.. The Cummins was by far the best choice for many years, but the Dmax will compete with it on any level now. And then add the Allison and you have a heck of a package. I've hauled big 5ers with both and the performance of both is great, but again its the whole package that makes the Dmax win in my opinion. Now if you could get a longbed mega, cummins, allison, air seats and suspension....well you get the idea.

Originally Posted by xGOTPITBULLX
i didnt buy mine for the truck, cause then i would have kept my 2006 ford dually, there is only one reason to buy a dodge and it is for whats under the hood.
I agree, thats the reason to buy a Dodge. But unlike Ford, GM has come a long way and if you look at the whole package I think they have gotten ahead.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by GMScott
well said!
Old 09-07-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Doc
I have tried to stay out of the brand war, but I would have to see it to beleive it. I know of no stock alison/ 550hp duramax combo that will make it 1million miles. The dmax alone will probably not hold 550hp reliably without changing rods and other hard parts to get it to 1mil.
Exactly, Ive got a few friends with the d-max and two of them around the 500hp range admit their pistons/rods are living on borrowed time, while another friend had to replace his shortblock on his LLY. Bottom line in my opnion is the D-Max is a good truck. Any auto WILL NOT take the abuse of high hp or heavy towing for a long period of time. I could have bought a brand new d-max for the GM employee price being that I have a family member who works for GM but you see whats in my sig. Fords, Dodge, and GM all have their perks and not each truck meets a specific persons needs. Spend your money on what you want, to the starter of this thread you need to join thedieselplace.com. I hope this thread ends soon, Im sick of getting into this forum and seeing this as a new topic, this is no better than "which oil is the best" thread or the favorite "which tire is the best" these threads have no purpose and are not productive.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:03 AM

my .02 on the big 3. The chevy is fine for on road work or anywhere that 2wd will get you where you want to go without concern for ground clearance. No one can argue that the chevy has pathetic ground clearance on their 4wd trucks across the board. The ford is still a darn good truck as long as you do not have to depend on it's diesel engine in the middle of no mans land. They have good ground clearance and a solid 4wd system. The dodge is the tug of war king. if you are not worried about creature comforts and just need a truck to plain out work I have to go with the dodge. They have a real 4wd still and plenty of ground clearance to get most places with a careful driver. I have had my poor beat up 02 loaded to 8500lbs with the welder in the back working places where jeeps wouldn't want to go without some modifications. I did a project for the forestry service before that took 2hours to get in 1 mile. I had to cross a river several times and boulder the size of volkswagons. My helper is a die hard chevy fan and he said he would never even attempt to get where we were. It does help that I have lockers front and rear but I am still stock height.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
This one has lived beyond it's shelf life