3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

To Buy or Not To Buy....That is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Buy or Not To Buy....That is the question!

Hello everyone, this is my first post so bear with me if you could. I don't want to start a war or anything like that.
I am a GM guy and have been for a long time. I currently have a 2500HD with the 8.1 big block and Allison. I have never owned a diesel, but I am looking for one. I will never own a Ford!
I did drive my friends MegaCab around the other day for a few hours and I liked it. I've been looking for a D-Max, but now I'm looking on the other side of the fence. I absolutely dig the MegaCab! I am having a hard time adapting to the interior of the Dodge, as it is not as 'plush' as the GM's. I know it's a truck, but I don't haul 12,000 lbs and 5 ranchhands around every day either. I do like the Cummins, but not too sure about the longevity of the auto tranny. Reading on here, the mileage doesn't seem to be too good, but I know every situation is different.
My question to everybody here is "Why should I buy a Dodge?". Every maker has it's problems, I know that. But what are common problems with the Dodge/Cummins? I'm new to the Dodge thing, so any input would be beneficial. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-16-2007, 04:31 PM

Just say no to the "the man van"

Welcome to DTR
Old 04-16-2007, 05:01 PM

If your towing really heavy or planning a lot of modifying the auto tranny is the weak link. As far as the Cummins is concerned it's a well proven engine that's been around for a lot longer than Ford or Chevy's diesels. It's easy to modify and to work on yourself. Cummins definately used the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) method on these motors. In the realm of diesels the Cummins is king.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:20 PM

I do have a 11,500 (gross) 5th wheel and I plan some mods, but mainly mild.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:11 PM

The reason I bought my 2004 dodge is that I had a bad experience with a 2002 chevy 1500 4X4 silverado,to many trips to the dealer for chicken $hit stuff.I have had my dodge since 12/20/03 no regrets yet,this is the best darn truck I have ever owned over the last 35 plus years,hands down.Good luck on your choice.coobie.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:12 PM

I was always a GM guy too. It took me a bit to get used to the dodge stiffness but I actually prefer it now. I went with the Cummins for towing. Right or wrong, I got scared off the Dura Max when I heard they were having issues. Plus, The General burned me on a warranty issue. (which is not to say any of the big three would not do).
My 2 dents.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:25 PM

ABQFirefighter-another New Mexican! Tell you what, once you start doing mods, its hard to stop, it becomes addictive! But like you said, every truck has its weaknesses, including Toyota (I owned one before this truck.) The Chevy's weaknesses include an IFS on their HD trucks, definitely considered a weakness due to the weight of the diesel engines and abuse a heavy duty truck usually takes, as well as injector issues with previous models. I think even the Ford guys will admit what wrong with their 6.0 PSDs, and the new 6.4 flamethrower isn't fairing any better. And everyone will tell you the weakness of the Ram is the transmission-usually based on the 47re tranny, the newer 48re is fairing quite a bit better. I haven't driven the new Tundra yet, but my old one had a tow rating of 7200 lbs, and let me tell you from experience, it could not tow that much with a tailwind and downhill, let alone the other way around. Diesel is definitely the way to go if you are doing any kind of towing, and Cummins is the diesel to get. Good luck and have fun shopping!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:42 PM

I would get the dodge just because of the fact that it doesn't look like an "el camino" (come over to the dark side Jeff)
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 PM

I came from a 2002 GMC to my current truck and I love my dodge, but I sure do miss my GM's black interior. I work in the oilpatch, and while my GM was a great truck, it just couldn't handle what I needed it to do.

I got the 6speed in mine and have been happy with it, but the overdrive ratio sucks. Bigger tires helped that out a lot.

Couple of stupid things dodge does, no wheel well liners from new, you have to buy them. Also, the high idle is nice but I was told you couldn't do it on a standard. I have since learned otherwise - P.S. DTR rocks.

So far no problems with mine, but then I never had any problems with my GM either.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:46 PM

Holy cow!!! Four New Mexicans on one thread! I knew there were a few out there.

ABQFirefighter, Get a Dodge. Every firefighter in Albuquerque has a Powerstroke. hahaha
Old 04-16-2007, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by northernwheeler
I came from a 2002 GMC to my current truck and I love my dodge, but I sure do miss my GM's black interior. I work in the oilpatch, and while my GM was a great truck, it just couldn't handle what I needed it to do.

I got the 6speed in mine and have been happy with it, but the overdrive ratio sucks. Bigger tires helped that out a lot.

Couple of stupid things dodge does, no wheel well liners from new, you have to buy them. Also, the high idle is nice but I was told you couldn't do it on a standard. I have since learned otherwise - P.S. DTR rocks.

So far no problems with mine, but then I never had any problems with my GM either.
My 2002 chevy did not have the factory wheel well liners installed.From what i have seen on the new trucks from the big 3 they are a option on all 3.coobie
Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by mb889
I would get the dodge just because of the fact that it doesn't look like an "el camino" (come over to the dark side Jeff)
Thanks a lot Mike! I knew you'd be lurking around here somewhere.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:54 PM

Yup.
" DO WORK SON ! "
Old 04-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Here comes another New Mexican into the thread.

Previously I owned a GMC K-2500 4x4, and several Fords - F250's and F350's all 4x4's, all big block gassers. In 2005 I decided it was time for a new truck and it was going to be a diesel. I test drove GMC, Fords, and Dodges, all of them a couple of times. I spent a little time at dealerships talking to owners too. I read websites, and more websites, truck mags, etc. Finally I had the opportunity to drive them all towing some heavy stuff - HANDS DOWN the Dodge/Cummins combo was the best at towing. Sold me on the Dodge immediately.

I have had 14 months of trouble-free driving. In the beginning I did have a couple of erroneous/nuisance codes, but nothing else. Everything is easy to maintain with simple, basic tools. There is a great big aftermarket industry with every little thing your heart will desire and lots of people who support you with every answer possible to meet your questions. The truck is just an out-n-out pleasure to drive. I have the 6-speed and did go to taller tires to drop the rpm's at highway speeds. Virtually made no difference on the lower end towing with the taller tires. I did have to raise my 5th wheel to accommodate the taller bed rail and while I was at it I converted the 5th wheel to a GN with a PopUp adapter that is set back about 9". The short bed has made no difference in towing any of my trailers. I love the added space of the MegaLimos interior. All in all I have no complaints about the truck AND I would buy another one. I do have a few complaints about the Dodge dealership in my area, but a call and letter to DC took care of the problems. I also have had problems with the NAV unit, but somewhere down the line I do have expectations that they will be resolved. When it works it is an awesome, helpful piece of equipment.

CD
Old 04-17-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not from New Mexico but I too made the switch from Chebbys to Dodges with my CTD four years ago and have never regretted it. After being a GM owner my whole life I woke up one day and thought "Why? It's not like they are that great or anything."

About your issue with the auto tranny being the "weak link". As long as you are running stock or even have a few gentle mods the 48RE has proven its reliability. The new 68RFE has yet to make its mark, so I wouldn't call it a "weak link" either- could go either way, but my guess is it'll be very reliable when coupled to stock trucks and do what the 48RE couldn't- provide 2 more shift points.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not To Buy....That is the question!