3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

dealer says i need six injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealer says i need six injectors

about four weeks ago my check engine light came on and the truck began to surge as though I had floored it. took to auto zone and they ran the codes and said it was the trottle positioning sensor. a couple of days passed before I could get it to the dealer and the truck died and would not start. towed to shop and they told me that I needed two injectors and a new lift pump for fuel tank. they also replaced fuel filter. All under Warranty. 1.5 weeks later I got my truck back and it seemed to run just fine. about 500 miles later while enroute to a different dealer (1st one 80 miles away) to get the reverse recall done the truck engine light came back on and the surge began again for a few miles, then it stopped surging but light stayed on and it drove fine. when I got to the dealer with E-17 recall notice in hand and told them of the engine light . they would check it out and call me. yesterday the GM called me to come to the shop that he wanted to show me something. They had taken out all of the injectors, fuel tank, new lift pump. they said all were bad and needed replacing: 6 injectors, 6 connectir tubes, 1 manifold, 1 pump module, 1 filter,1 high pressure pump and 1 flush to the tune of $6,689.33, they told me I had gotten bad fuel, and that the first dealor should have steamed out the fuel tank, the first dealor did run pressure test on all injectors, the other four were within spec,. No water in fuel light ever came on. HERES the kicker. While I was in the parking lot about to leave a mechanic told me they were trying to rip me off, that all that needed to be done was replace the trottle sensor. I need help, What is the first thing a dealor should do when a check engine light is on? I would think run codes before dismantling fuel system.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Is it covered under warrenty?? If so let them at it. If not take your truck and run. They should have called you before they dismantled the truck.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well from what I have read if the cause is bad fuel then maybe not covered by warranty. They seem to have you over somewhat of a barrel. Tell them to put it back together. If they did not have you authorized signature to dismantle then they should have to do that. Take it/have it towed somewhere else for diagnostics. Not any easy way out probably.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

I would demand the fuel filter that was in the truck, to test for evidence of remains of bad fuel, if it did that much damage, something has to be in the filter element, or in the bowl of the filter housing. I would also demand a seizure of all parts in question, and also demad that a Cummins certified tech inspect them, in your presence, If the tech says they are good, give a call to the state police and file fraud charges, thats a lot of money, whyo knows how many times they have done the same to others, stopping them from doing it again starts right now. No need to name the dealer, just a town and road will be good enough.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:11 PM

if in fact they do need to be replaced I just read a post where somebody had cummins rebuild their sticks for good price. call your local cummins shop.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:12 PM

Also, hopefully you've kept your last few receipts from your fuel fill-ups. I always keep mine for a month or more, just in case.

Hopefully they haven't drained your fuel tank either. Demand fuel samples from the tank (get 'em yourself if you can) in addition to what's been stated above.

Wow - that's quite a first post !!! Sorry about your experience.

I'd sure like to know where this dealership is too, just to make sure I never venture near them.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:37 PM

injectors

I have kept fuel rect. but I don't really think anything is wrong with the fuel.
I think this is a real barrel job w/o the vasoline.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:56 PM

So what does DC do about crook dealers like this? Or are they too busy searching for someone using a 50 hp box on their truck? What a load of you know what. Get your truck out of there. Or get your own samples quickly, if they haven't "doctored" those up already and get the police involved.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Get a fuel sample, get it analyzed. If it's good, the dealer is stuck. If it's bad, your insurance should cover the cost of repairs as long as you have a receipt for the fuel purchase; insurance company will chase the fuel station for money.

As far as the dealer "ripping you off", yeah, all suggestions above are good to follow.
Old 03-18-2007, 11:55 AM

A few questions to ask your dealership is
Why didn't the filter work properly and filter out the contaminants?
Why didnt the water in fuel light come on if their was water in the fuel?

Next ask him what The policy is on OEM filter systems not working properly.

I hope you were using a OEM filter on the truck.

Next have you seen the injectors?
If so how do they look, can you take them away and have them tested at a test shop? It should only be $600 or less to have done at a properly equipped Bosch repair shop. Then if they are alright then the dealership can pay the bill.

Can you get the old filter, does the tank still have fuel in it. If they have disposed of these two items then really they have no leg to stand on.

Have your truck towed to another shop and then fixed.

I would be be very carefull dealing with this dealership. I would call Chryslers 1800 line and ask them for a independant evaulation of your truck.
Next I would sit down with the Service Manager and let him know that you feel that he may be trying to do work that may not have to be done.

For him to pull injectors out and say that they are bad is impossible, even when they do the injector kill tests, they still have to have the injectors tested in a test facility, to last of my knowledge no dealership has this ability.

Be carefull dealing with this guy.
Demand to have all your parts everything down to the fuel lines given to you. That way you can have them tested for contamination.

even if they drained the tank and threw away the filter, they probelly didnt flush the injection pump or the fuel lines.

Good luck dealing with this. I hope it turns out well for you.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 PM

injectors

Thanks for all the replys, all sounds like good advice, I will tell them in the am to put it back together. I did not authorize them to take my truck apart like this. it was running fine when I drove it in, just engine light on. James
Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM

I would have them put the truck back together at no cost. If he has a problem with it then take some fuel samples and the fuel filter and send it into Catapiller Fluid anylisis and have them do a test for contamination.

Sounds like the mechanic who took the system apart needs to be put in his place. Also sounds like the Service Manager needs to be discplined for his actions.

After it is put back together get a independant shop to check everything over.

If the dealership refuses to do this, then hopefully you have enough money to take the injectors to a shop to have them tested. After all you own them he doesnt.

This will at least tell you if indeed the injectors are no good.

Man this sounds like a real headache. At the end of the day you can find some one to reassemble your fuel system such as Cummins or a Freightliner shop if you do not feel comfortable with the dealership dealing with it.
This of course will be at your cost. But you could file a claim with Chrysler agaisnt the dealership.

Just be carefull dealing with this dealership. Hopefully they make right in the end.

Remember if you take them to court that Mechanic that told you that you were getting screwed could be your best friend.

Just be firm fair and friendly with them.

Go in explain that your truck ran fine before bringing it in. The check engine light was on.
Next day the whole fuel system is apart. and the truck is not running now.

You didnt authrize them to dissaemble the fuel system for diagnosing the check engine light.

If they took it upon them selves to do this then they need to reassemble the system and put the truck back the way it was.

If they refuse to then ask for all your parts alogn with a parts inventory from them and have it towed to the next dealership.

I hope this works out in the end for you.

If you were close to me I would go take a look for you to see what could be done.

Good luck let us know what happend tomorrow.

I recommend taking a camera with you and getting a picture of the parts they took off.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM

I would have them put the truck back together at no cost. If he has a problem with it then take some fuel samples and the fuel filter and send it into Catapiller Fluid anylisis and have them do a test for contamination.

Sounds like the mechanic who took the system apart needs to be put in his place. Also sounds like the Service Manager needs to be discplined for his actions.

After it is put back together get a independant shop to check everything over.

If the dealership refuses to do this, then hopefully you have enough money to take the injectors to a shop to have them tested. After all you own them he doesnt.

This will at least tell you if indeed the injectors are no good.

Man this sounds like a real headache. At the end of the day you can find some one to reassemble your fuel system such as Cummins or a Freightliner shop if you do not feel comfortable with the dealership dealing with it.
This of course will be at your cost. But you could file a claim with Chrysler agaisnt the dealership.

Just be carefull dealing with this dealership. Hopefully they make right in the end.

Remember if you take them to court that Mechanic that told you that you were getting screwed could be your best friend.

Just be firm fair and friendly with them.

Go in explain that your truck ran fine before bringing it in. The check engine light was on.
Next day the whole fuel system is apart. and the truck is not running now.

You didnt authrize them to dissaemble the fuel system for diagnosing the check engine light.

If they took it upon them selves to do this then they need to reassemble the system and put the truck back the way it was.

If they refuse to then ask for all your parts alogn with a parts inventory from them and have it towed to the next dealership.

I hope this works out in the end for you.

Good luck let us know what happend tomorrow.

I recommend taking a camera with you and getting a picture of the parts they took off.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:17 AM

Bump - what's going on with your truck jerkyman?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:52 PM

I am having a similar problem here. My dealer did the rollover valve/vent hose recall and said they replaced my filter...at 14148 miles. It now wont start or run and the tank is contaminated with what looks like sand and dirt...even a bug leg or two. Now what the dealership is saying is that they did not change the fuel filter like I was told...and I have not changed it since. It has 33,000 miles...which means I thought I was 3,000 miles over recommended interval when this happened...but really it had never been changed. The dealer and Chrysler customer service said it would not be covered under warranty. I got my insurance involved and an adjuster went out and got pictures and a sample...but they told him the fuel filter had never been changed...so he says they will clean the tank and fuel system flush but the mechanical failure was due to the filter not being changed.

So the estimate is almost exactly as Jerkyman's above 6700.00. I am supposed to be responsible for it (even though there was a recall that would allow stuff to enter my tank) because the fuel filter didnt get changed like they said it did. The truck wont start and I dont think they even tried to start it once they saw the tank and filter element.

They are replacing the fuel system based on "bringing it back to warranty status" not because of bad parts.

Quick Reply: dealer says i need six injectors