3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug

I ve been working out of town for a few weeks now. Today i got finished up a little early had time to kill so i decided to go to local small town DODGE dealer to get an oil change. It was cheaper than my local dealet by 30$ so i said ill go ahead and do it i wount have time till next week im actually early by a thousand mile but wont have a chance antime soon . An hour later truck was done i paid nothing seemed out of order. I didnt see a puddle of oil underneith i looked. Got on the interstate comming in to town traffic slows way down Just then i heard a ding and check guages light came on then truck started to whine at that second also oil preasure droped im like holy$xxx. Lucky for me no one next to me and i pulled over. Truck is smoking pop the hood rite away i noticedip stick not all the way in. So i pushed it in and out bone dry .I didnt want to look but new i had to so i droped down what was left of oil was dripping all the way back. tail gate is covered. So rite a way i get on the phone call the dealer after about 10 minute hold get the service manager on the phone told him what happend. He tells me he will send a tow truck to get it.I have the tool box and back seat full of tools I need to get those unloaded. I ended up waiting 2 hours for a tow and 152$ dollars later i get truck home.Dealer called said he would send tow truck in the morning after i unload.Now what are my options. anyone have an ideas.Any help or input would be appreciated
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bright side is that I haven't done an oil change on a 4x4 white dually all week! Thought of that makes me sick . I haven't see a CTD survive a loss of oil too well. Sounds like $$long block$$ time.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Banned

First off, I'd want my $152 for the towing bill. It's their screw up, they should have to pay for it. Second, I'd be sure to ring the mechanic's neck that worked on my truck. Next I'd want a full hand wash and wax to get all of the oil off of the truck. Then I'd want a free oil change done correctly under my close, personal supervision.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:34 PM

....and before this post turns into the usual "dealer, quik e lube" bash fest the truck I experienced the "loss of oil" scenario with was one that a customer did his own oil change on. Somehow dented the filter and it started leaking while he was pulling his camper. By the time it "dinged" she was done. Anyone here is capable of screwing anything up in a major way at any given time.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 PM

Im thinking a new CTD or buy the truck back.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:44 PM

I know every one screws up . But I make my living with this truck. I cant afford to be with out it. I am already going to loose a days work tomorrow and possibly sat.Im not trying to get something for nothing. Im in the construction trades it either feast or famine so when there is i work i have to work.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Banned

Yeah I think I would push for a buy back. I bet it would be a few weeks to get a new engine.. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:07 AM

Wonder how it would run if you just filled it?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 AM

When check guages light came on it started whining pretty bad. plus we were doing about 65mph. after that we drove about a 1/4 mile before i was able to get over 3 lanes of traffic on I-10.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you shut it off right after the light came on it isn't hurt. But what a bummer! Not only is there oil everywhere and you've been inconvenienced, but you'll never forget it and always wonder if it got hurt.
My girlfriend got her oil changed and the filter fell off a few miles down the road. We had it towed, new filter and oil, no problem. A friend of mine had a diesel Passat. They forgot to add the oil and he drove it till it tightened up, began to seize. On a hill it just slowed down and he got out to check it out. So, after being towed back and oil added he drove it for probably ten more years that I know of. No problem. Another guy did it with his Triumph and rode it till it seized. Again, it went on for thousands of miles. But still, I'd be so p***ed! Makes me wonder if it would have been better to drive it till it was obviously hurt. I hope they go out of their way to make you happy.

Wetspirit
Old 03-31-2006, 12:24 AM

Im wodering if i should just have it towed to my dealer and have them look it over. Plus it a lot closer than the other dealer.Ill probly end up trading it in cause i will always wonder and worrie.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, a buy back or one for one exchange is the best approach here. Even if they want to replace the engine and give you a loaner truck for the duration, there are bound to be a bunch of complications from that much surgery. It could take months to get everything straightened out and you're not local to them. Even then it would affect resale value. How many miles on your truck? Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 AM

Truck only has 20600 on it mostly highway.If i ever get ot bed tonite i will be on the phone first thing in the morning rite now im way to discusted to even sleep.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:32 AM

If you wanna sell those wheel balancers...

Just kidding- Sorry to hear about it. My buddy had a 'Yota, and Jiffy Lube forgot to put oil in it. They paid for a new motor, no problems. The truck worked fine. The best case in my opinion would be to get a new truck, minus depreciation. If they end up putting a new motor in her, chances are, it will be as good as new (which I am begining to suspect is so-so-see the AC door/ extended warranty thread)
Old 03-31-2006, 03:33 AM

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a drop under 7 psi of oil pressure (basically no pressure) has caused MAJOR ENGINE DAMAGE (ie main bearings, turbo, rod bearings etc.)

The damage might not show it self immediately but it is there and will never "go away" I would demand a new engine or new truck.

I have seen oil filters that have blown gaskets toast an engines main's in seconds.

Sorry about your luck.
Start changing the oil yourself from now on.

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug