3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug
now thats something I never heard of before
Old 03-31-2006, 06:49 AM

I love the way you guys crucify the dealer when it hasn't even been looked at yet. Could be a defective oil filter, installed incorrectly, loose drain plug (as mentioned) or a host of other things that might have COINCIDENTALLY gone wrong. Lets hear the diagnosis before you all start screaming buyback.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:57 AM
Chapter President

If the oil / oil pressure issue was fer-sure something that the dealer did (bad filter, loose plug, - whatever), you have to make it a buyback! PourinDiesel is spot on, there is a GOOD chance that irrevocable engine damage has already been done - especially with the sound effects you got while driving....

...not sure if the engine replacement is a good option, as you would PROBABLY be down for a few weeks while they got the new one in.

Keep us informed as to what transpires!

Rauschbo
Old 03-31-2006, 08:01 AM

I know I' am going to hear a lot of carrying on over what I would do but that engine will be a headache as long as you own it . What I would do is start it back up and let it run at a high idle until it runs no more . Do not let the dealer take the cheap way out by turning crank and putting in new bearings . This calls for a new engine nothing less , when the light comes on there is damage done bad damage . Turbo has taken a bad beating also and its life will be severally shorten and will need to be replaced . I really feel for you and have seen it happen before to others . Everybody can make a mistake it is what they do after that mistake that separates the men from the boys . In all the cases I have seen the dealer's never fixed one right , they just did good enough to get it out the door and that is why I repeat start it up and make it scrap so you do not have to live with a headache .
Old 03-31-2006, 08:15 AM

The number one cause of oil loss and engine failure during and oil change is the oil filter gasket sticking to the block from the old filter and the mechanic putting a new filter on . I have seen many engines that have died this way , most seal for a few miles and then blow out the extra gasket . But he said he looked under neath the truck and seen the last few drops coming out of the pan which would add up to a lose drain plug at the dealer to me . This would make me sick and the work would not I repeat not be done at that dealer no matter what . Always take it to another dealer preferably a competitive dealer who will have your views more in line then there's .
Old 03-31-2006, 08:34 AM

The drain plug is mia went out first thing this morning with cam.No one in at the dealer yet. so i will keep tryin rite now i have to get it unloaded.
Old 03-31-2006, 08:50 AM

I have only two words. NEW MOTOR!

I would settle for noting else. At 20K you've just gotten past break-in and should have another 280K plus in the bank. Without oil you have no idea how long your motor might run.

Best of luck with the dealer.

DT<*)))><
Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I have seen several things that lasted a while after running out of oil, but I wouldn't be comfortable with that truck. It might start back up and run fine, but you'll allways be worried about something happening, I'd try to get a buy back or new engine.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:17 AM

I'd say that from my experience, you'll be dealing with the Dodge dealers insurance company on this one, not D/C. That means ZERO chance of a buyback on the truck. The best you can hope for is a new engine. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2006, 10:18 AM

Whatever you do. Do not accept anything less than a longblock. Your engine is toast, period.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by rammtuff
I love the way you guys crucify the dealer when it hasn't even been looked at yet. Could be a defective oil filter, installed incorrectly, loose drain plug (as mentioned) or a host of other things that might have COINCIDENTALLY gone wrong. Lets hear the diagnosis before you all start screaming buyback.
If he got his oil changed and they installed ANYTING incorrectly it is still the mechanics fault. I don't think a drain plug COICIDENTALLY fell out right after he got his oil changed.

I have gotten a long block installed in one of my old trucks and it never ran the same again. Why would you let a dealership install a long block in your truck if they can't even change your oil correctly?

The saying "if you want something done right do it yourself" applies here. sorry about your truck.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:51 AM

Service manager called they are sending a tow truck and a used 1500 till they figure this out. Meantime we have started making calls to get General manager or owner of the dealer in on this.I finally got a call from a general manger but he was one of the general manager from one of the other dealersships that is owned by the same guy. He assured me he would pass along my concerns to his boss, hoping that is the owner and would get back with me. I am hoping we can get this taken care of without having to start calling attourneys. I dont have the time or the patients to deal with a fight over this truck.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:01 PM

Wish you luck, crappy thing to happen
Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This happened to my cousin's 2003 when a local service station in New Braunfels did an oil change. Their final bill was over $16K as I recall for new engine, turbo, truck rental, etc.

Rusty
Old 03-31-2006, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would only accept a new engine/turbo or a new truck. Have you ever seen bearing that have only run dry for a few seconds?? VERY UGLY!!

Quick Reply: Dealer forgot to tighten oil drain plug