3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes I do drive a Honda...not on the street! It is a fully caged Road race car. Check my picture gallery and you will see. I use the Dodge to tow the car to different tracks.

I'm not sure what your point is????
Old 10-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

"that 325/600 is like 270/500 to the ground, not to sure if it would pull the 10k trailer that great"

Check out the 5er in my gallery. Pulled it about 2000 miles this summer in the mountains, getting 13+MPG. I'd say that works pretty darn well.

"use to pullin it with 500/1000 to the ground, but then all to their own i guess"

You mean you are used to pulling with 500/1000 ? Yeah, right, buddy. While we have our rubber boots on slinging through all your BS, is there anything else you'd like to try to feed us ?

"all three diesels work great in stock form, its when you add the power that the faults come out of them, and they all have faults, not like the thread says"

What fault does the Cummins have in stock form ? Injectors foul a bit if they get idled too much. MPG could be a tad better. What else ? The turbos seems to hold up OK. It doesn't over heat. It starts most every day. They don't blow head gaskets. They don't leak oil. The EGR doesn't plug up. The stock clutch/flywheel even stands up OK. Please do tell me what problem these stock Cummins engines have. I'm dying to know.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:35 PM

how is your injector life, lift pumps, engine vibration, mpg, are the only concerns i heard of so far, keep in mind both the max and cummins are using the same high pressure pump from bosch, so we cannot pick on that

as for my hp, i am not here to prove anything, just to show not all of us drive at stock hp
Old 10-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Superduty
"as for changing injectors the whole job i have down under 4 hours" If you are speaking of a DMax, I call BS, big time.
I know of a couple guys that can change them out in well under 4 hours, another can R&R an Allison in under an hour.

Originally Posted by Superduty
And don't try to change the nature of the thread from which engine doesn't have a major issue to that of which engine is faster/cheaper/better to mod. That is another topic entirely.
Why not? You did it with the "Cummins is easier to work on" comment!
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 AM

FredW, I had 3 duraflexes before my Dodge cummins. Great engine, overprotective smart yet so dumb tranny( should I be in 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 4th) It could pull hard and then limp, I went through windshields like washer fluid. The frame flexed like a noodle and at 50k I had to turn the stereo up to cover all the creaks and rattles. But hey, I only had three of them, what do I know. My cummins dodge has 130k miles on it and not a rattle or squeak. (original windshield, needs replacement from pitting only) The tranny and TC had to be upgraded because I haul 35k # regularly (legal) and run about 350 / 700 at the rears (not dynoed till I'm done upgrading). Could all the Dmaxes that haul long and heavy please stand up, please stand up. Just my experience, yours may vary. Don't take too much offence and congratulations on your purchase. ks
Old 10-04-2005, 01:13 PM

sad to here the bad luck you have had, like i said, they all break and some more than others, never heard about the frame problems tho, i will contest to the winsheilds, went threw lots as well, but rattles i have not heard yet, maybe soon, as for the allison i also think a small 100hp tune sure smartens the tranny up with all the shifting

Originally Posted by abc4yew
FredW, I had 3 duraflexes before my Dodge cummins. Great engine, overprotective smart yet so dumb tranny( should I be in 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th, 4th) It could pull hard and then limp, I went through windshields like washer fluid. The frame flexed like a noodle and at 50k I had to turn the stereo up to cover all the creaks and rattles. But hey, I only had three of them, what do I know. My cummins dodge has 130k miles on it and not a rattle or squeak. (original windshield, needs replacement from pitting only) The tranny and TC had to be upgraded because I haul 35k # regularly (legal) and run about 350 / 700 at the rears (not dynoed till I'm done upgrading). Could all the Dmaxes that haul long and heavy please stand up, please stand up. Just my experience, yours may vary. Don't take too much offence and congratulations on your purchase. ks
Old 10-04-2005, 05:33 PM

Last time I checked there was a class action lawsuit for the overheating issues posted on the board . All that trouble for a measly 5% of Duramax owners ............ I think you need to go back to dreamland . Judging by all the typo's I would bet you are a 16 yr old kid DREAMING of owning a Chevy . I will keep my p.o.s Dodge long after the Duramax is being released with it's 12 revision . Funny how Gale Banks says the Cummins is the most solid of all the diesels and able to take more boost than the other two , but hey I am sure you know more than him also !!
Old 10-04-2005, 06:59 PM

if the best comback you can do is work over my spelling, then you might need to go back to school , how many stock cummins do you know with just a tune make over 500hp to the wheels, all day everyday

as for the classaction lawsuit, take a look when that started and where it is now, then look at how many people it effects, once again it is far and few, but from a cumins veiw it may look like every one

Originally Posted by Mixer Man
Last time I checked there was a class action lawsuit for the overheating issues posted on the board . All that trouble for a measly 5% of Duramax owners ............ I think you need to go back to dreamland . Judging by all the typo's I would bet you are a 16 yr old kid DREAMING of owning a Chevy . I will keep my p.o.s Dodge long after the Duramax is being released with it's 12 revision . Funny how Gale Banks says the Cummins is the most solid of all the diesels and able to take more boost than the other two , but hey I am sure you know more than him also !!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:03 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ryans05
dodge is so shady on warrty stuff they looked at my truck and said i had no warrenty on drivetrain cause the lift an tires. the dealers around me have know idea what is going on. they talked to me like i ahve no clue what i am talking i may be young put i know whats goin on.
They're all pretty much like that no matter what brand you own. It's just the way it is.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:16 PM

FredW, Don't get me wrong I like all diesel trucks more than any gasser. I own a half a 2004 f350 psd that has had the tranny completely rebuild once at 17k miles bone stock and is ready for # 2. It has only hauled its own weight other than 150 miles. I'm looking at trading some of my farm crap for a business associates 2004 Dmax 2500 for $20k. It was lightly front crashed and was written off. Everything ahead of the engine was replaced but only one of the frame ends had a bend in the upper corner. Price is too good for only 25k miles. Drives good, just need a driver's air bag and its good to go.
Will throw on a lite power box and have the tranny tightened and add some sturdier treads and it will do the job. I'll leave the driving of it up to one of my Chevy loving staff. I've had a lot of good rides that didn't cause me any grief and the dodge is second best just behind my last girlfriend. ks
Old 10-05-2005, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by fredw
if the best comback you can do is work over my spelling, then you might need to go back to school , how many stock cummins do you know with just a tune make over 500hp to the wheels, all day everyday

as for the classaction lawsuit, take a look when that started and where it is now, then look at how many people it effects, once again it is far and few, but from a cumins veiw it may look like every one

Fred - just curious where you can get a tuner only that will give you 500 RHWP on a DMAX? A 150HP EDGE juice will only give you about 360 at the rear wheels! Remember the power numbers quoted by all the tuners are for max power gained, not highest power (peak power) before & after tuning. Also an Allison tranmission will handle only about 90 extra RWHP before slipping. Don't get me wrong, I had an '01 for a while & liked it, just didn't like the payment. But I had a customer with just a Banks Ottomind tuner (what they had before the six-gun) and when he was ready to upgrade to the Six-gun tuner he had us pull the transmission and send it out for a shift kit and BD converter, and it already had glazed clutches in two clutch packs and the converter showed signs of slippage (bluing). A stock DMAX, at least like my '01, only makes about 240HP at the rear wheels, so you are saying you have found a tuner to more than double your RHWP? Also wouldn't that require an upgraded turbo? I think so, since I have seen pumped DMAX's blow the stock turbo, that is why there are aftermarket turbos for the DMAX just like for the Dodges and 7.3L Fords. Has your truck been dynoed? C'mon, give us some facts, I'm curious as all get out!
Old 10-05-2005, 08:18 AM

I have seen a truck with one box make 479/978, and another make 491/989, both Duramaxes with one box, pusher pumps, and BUILT ALLISONS. $5K trannies. This was on the same dyno that my truck made it's numbers, and "Joefarmers" old truck made 648/1312. They weren't bogus numbers.

If your towing with that much power, you don't have "just a tune!!" If you do, send that Allison back to GM and tell themthey sent you a Auto out of a class 8 truck!

I drive a Cummins with 307K miles...my Uncle has an 03 Duramax with ~200K on it---STOCK. It pulls a 32' GN trailer ALL THE TIME. Still running fine, but it is on it's 4th set of injectors, 3rd water pump, 3rd turbo, 2nd computer, and the interior sqeaks and rattles and most of the lights are burned out in the radio. The only noises my Cummins make come from the engine and the speakers. To my knowledge, in 307K miles I've changed an alternator, A/C clutch, starter, and rebuilt the front end at 265K miles. I also had the old NV4500 rebuilt @285K and the synchros were still in spec. The only reason I rebuilt it was because it was out of the truck for a clutch.

Just my .005!
Chris
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM

jeez O'pete, for a moment here I thought I was reading a thread at one of the other diesel sites.

I must be bored right now because I cannot believe I waded through these 4 pages of finger pointing and bs flag waving.

My only comment is that there are some folks here in this thread who really, really, really need to learn spell correctly, or at least learn to use a spell checker prior to posting - you would be taken more seriously.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:47 AM

as for what tuners that will get you close to 500hp
Westers, bully-dog, vanAken, tts, ppe, precision diesel all offer single tuners that will make it close to that number if not better, now for a stack, most and Manny will get you in the low 500hp, as for the highest hp with any stack

i have seen bully-dog/vanAken produce 533/1059 with just #2 on a stock motor, with a built tranny

as for towing, i have towed at the 500hp since i got the truck back in late 02, as for problems, till lately, it had never been in the shop, for anything, except tires now has 225k on it

Originally Posted by WildBill
Fred - just curious where you can get a tuner only that will give you 500 RHWP on a DMAX? A 150HP EDGE juice will only give you about 360 at the rear wheels! Remember the power numbers quoted by all the tuners are for max power gained, not highest power (peak power) before & after tuning. Also an Allison tranmission will handle only about 90 extra RWHP before slipping. Don't get me wrong, I had an '01 for a while & liked it, just didn't like the payment. But I had a customer with just a Banks Ottomind tuner (what they had before the six-gun) and when he was ready to upgrade to the Six-gun tuner he had us pull the transmission and send it out for a shift kit and BD converter, and it already had glazed clutches in two clutch packs and the converter showed signs of slippage (bluing). A stock DMAX, at least like my '01, only makes about 240HP at the rear wheels, so you are saying you have found a tuner to more than double your RHWP? Also wouldn't that require an upgraded turbo? I think so, since I have seen pumped DMAX's blow the stock turbo, that is why there are aftermarket turbos for the DMAX just like for the Dodges and 7.3L Fords. Has your truck been dynoed? C'mon, give us some facts, I'm curious as all get out!
Old 10-05-2005, 01:47 PM

Banks is the only company that gives max power gained, all (And I mean all!) others give numbers over max peak! And many are very conservitive with there numbers.
To get 500 rwhp from a box you will need the tranny beefed up a lot, and a lift pump! But yes you can buy A box that will lay down 480-520 rwhp with the Duramax.
I have the Quad running on 135 hp setting, and dyno`ed the truck at 403 rwhp. Others have dyno`ed with the hot Juice at over 450 rwhp with a lift pump and tranny build. The Extreme by itself has layed down over 500 rwhp.

I run the 135 hp setting all the time I am not towing heavy! and this is with a stock tranny. If I know I will not be towing in big hills, then I leave the 135 hp setting alone, but I normally tow at 90 or 110 hp setting which is closer to 360-380 rwhp.

As for turbos, there have been many making 700-800 rwhp on the stock turbo, head gaskets, head studs, injectors, pistons, and all other internal parts stock. The aftermarket turbo allows the EGT`s to stay much cooler, and get more power without drugs. I have read about 2 Duramax`s making 700 rwhp on number 2 diesel, all others have needed drugs.

Originally Posted by WildBill

Quick Reply: Cummins is the only engine without major problems...