3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"because my neighbor runs a fleet of 12 dodges on his( Kodiak coil tubing) CO.,and has just went threw his sixth motor last week, some had drooped valves and some were dusted, and his personal truck, done up Cummings just as well drooped a valve, also have another buddy that just had a drooped valve on his 600 Cummings"

WHAT ? 50% of this guy's trucks dropped valves ?

What do you mean by "dropped a valve" ? The valve stem broke ? The valve welded itself to the seat ?

How are these engines getting dusted ?

Something doesn't add up here. Is this guy running a box ?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:21 AM

I smell a troll! If motors were blowing up, especially CUMMINGS?!!? then don't you think we would be hearing more about it here? Oh by the way there is no such thing as CUMMINGS man! It's Cummins! I don't buy it as we have only heard of a handfull of motors that have been replaced and of those they were usually from a melted piston. It's not impossible but I think unlikely. Why are these motors dusted? Is it because of lack of maintenace on the air filters perhaps? I still smell a troll and call BS.

As far as dealers lifting trucks and putting big tires on...If you bought one of these and took it back to the selling dealer for warranty they should be responsible whether or not DC authorizes the warranty repair...they can still also deny the warranty as if you read the fine print of the warranty it is plain as day and your responsibility not theirs. Definitly don't expect a non-selling dealer to go to bat for you because if anyone is going to take the hit for the reapir it should be the selling dealer. Remember to that towing heavy with all parts working at their correct angles and specs is what the truck was designed for. Start changing driveline angles and unsprung weight ratings and god knows what else and suddenly you are out of the specs that engineers spent many hours deciding on for the trucks stress llimits. It may not seem like much but something like a driveline angle out of spec has exponential wear, not just slightly more. Research before you buy and get everything in writing. If a dealer that has lifted a truck and put big tires on it says that the warranty will be unaffected make sure to get it in writing because if you have issues later they can deny and theres not much you can do. In the famous words of a General manager at a dealership I worked at, "What can I say you got a truck and we got your money! Too Bad!" (not that I agree with this statement!)
Old 10-03-2005, 09:16 AM

no troll here, just passing on the facts, the dealer told him that it has been 3 droped values, and three dusted engines, they were all in stock fourm and were running oem air filters, dodge has changed out their filter since then for them, this has been over the course of a year, as for what droped in the head, will find out more

as for the other buddy running the cummins, he had his motor running at about 450hp when a so called valve droped and took out #5 piston while pulling his horse trailer over some grades

call your local dealer, ask about the head problem, they will fill you in

Originally Posted by CRXsi
I smell a troll! If motors were blowing up, especially CUMMINGS?!!? then don't you think we would be hearing more about it here? Oh by the way there is no such thing as CUMMINGS man! It's Cummins! I don't buy it as we have only heard of a handfull of motors that have been replaced and of those they were usually from a melted piston. It's not impossible but I think unlikely. Why are these motors dusted? Is it because of lack of maintenace on the air filters perhaps? I still smell a troll and call BS.

As far as dealers lifting trucks and putting big tires on...If you bought one of these and took it back to the selling dealer for warranty they should be responsible whether or not DC authorizes the warranty repair...they can still also deny the warranty as if you read the fine print of the warranty it is plain as day and your responsibility not theirs. Definitly don't expect a non-selling dealer to go to bat for you because if anyone is going to take the hit for the reapir it should be the selling dealer. Remember to that towing heavy with all parts working at their correct angles and specs is what the truck was designed for. Start changing driveline angles and unsprung weight ratings and god knows what else and suddenly you are out of the specs that engineers spent many hours deciding on for the trucks stress llimits. It may not seem like much but something like a driveline angle out of spec has exponential wear, not just slightly more. Research before you buy and get everything in writing. If a dealer that has lifted a truck and put big tires on it says that the warranty will be unaffected make sure to get it in writing because if you have issues later they can deny and theres not much you can do. In the famous words of a General manager at a dealership I worked at, "What can I say you got a truck and we got your money! Too Bad!" (not that I agree with this statement!)
Old 10-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Troll, Troll, Troll, go back to your home.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:40 AM

That's funny:

Just passing the facts. Very next sentence is "my buddy's dealer told him".

Does that constitute a fact?

A dealer filling you in on Cummins cylinder head problems?

I'll call BS too.

Originally Posted by fredw
no troll here, just passing on the facts, the dealer told him that it has been 3 droped values, and three dusted engines, they were all in stock fourm and were running oem air filters, dodge has changed out their filter since then for them, this has been over the course of a year, as for what droped in the head, will find out more

as for the other buddy running the cummins, he had his motor running at about 450hp when a so called valve droped and took out #5 piston while pulling his horse trailer over some grades

call your local dealer, ask about the head problem, they will fill you in
Old 10-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Banned

The REAL story on those Kodiak trucks...

I did some digging. Kodiak is up in Alberta, Canada. I've got a friend up there. According to my source, a couple of the Kodiak trucks did suffer engine failures from "dusting". The cause of said dusting was POOR MAINTENANCE. They replaced the stock filters with another brand and then drove the trucks until the filters were plugged. Once plugged, the turbo sucked them until they collapsed, allowing unfiltered air into the engines. This apparently happened on several Kodiak trucks.

Nobody heard anything about "dropping valves". One guy knew of ONE other truck (out of thousands in the area) that had dropped a valve. What happened was the guy was running a box and got the engine so hot the valve seat welded itself to the valve, which eventually dislodged and broke the piston, head, etc. Hmmm... 450 HP, towing up a long hill. I'll leave the rest to you.

My source said Dodge trucks are WAY outlasting Ford and GM trucks in that area.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:11 PM

so now that my story is not all bs you can pm me and i will give you the owners phone number to confirm the droped valves as well, also on the dusted motor situation, the dealer was the one that converted it to the other brand i was told, and they were not that dirty, you might want to get the whole story, also will give the other number of the other blown up cummins, i can tell you it was not from excessive egts,

as for droped valves call the dodge dealer in Brooks alberta, he has seen more than one in a thousand

Originally Posted by Superduty
I did some digging. Kodiak is up in Alberta, Canada. I've got a friend up there. According to my source, a couple of the Kodiak trucks did suffer engine failures from "dusting". The cause of said dusting was POOR MAINTENANCE. They replaced the stock filters with another brand and then drove the trucks until the filters were plugged. Once plugged, the turbo sucked them until they collapsed, allowing unfiltered air into the engines. This apparently happened on several Kodiak trucks.

Nobody heard anything about "dropping valves". One guy knew of ONE other truck (out of thousands in the area) that had dropped a valve. What happened was the guy was running a box and got the engine so hot the valve seat welded itself to the valve, which eventually dislodged and broke the piston, head, etc. Hmmm... 450 HP, towing up a long hill. I'll leave the rest to you.

My source said Dodge trucks are WAY outlasting Ford and GM trucks in that area.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

"as for droped valves call the dodge dealer in Brooks alberta, he has seen more than one in a thousand"

My source just spoke with them. (I'm leaving the names of the contacts out to protect their privacy.) Brooks has seen 2 trucks in total ever with "dropped valves". The terms fueling boxes and aftermarket injectors were mentioned. Over fueling, the valve seat welds to the valve and wala "dropped valve". Nothing more. No serious problem. No problem at all with stock engines.

He re asked about the air filter and word was that they have never, ever seen a problem with the stock filters.

If one runs crappy aftermarket stuff on ANY engine you can expect problems. Brooks speaks very poorly of some aftermarket boxes. Big box + no brains + heavy foot = toasted engine !

Like you said "he had his motor running at about 450hp when a so called valve droped and took out #5 piston while pulling his horse trailer over some grades".

How can you expect a stockish 5.9L engine to put out 450HP for an extended period of time and live ? If you call that a design flaw, then your standards are pretty high.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:01 PM

the thread states no problems with cummins, compared to the rest, i see different than that, as for your research seams to be different that the owner says,
the duramax i drive has run 500 plus from day one, and now with over 200k on the motor, i had my first engine problem, the cummins has less than 50 k

just to state, they all break, even tho i own a few cummins myself

"as for droped valves call the dodge dealer in Brooks alberta, he has seen more than one in a thousand"

My source just spoke with them. (I'm leaving the names of the contacts out to protect their privacy.) Brooks has seen 2 trucks in total ever with "dropped valves". The terms fueling boxes and aftermarket injectors were mentioned. Over fueling, the valve seat welds to the valve and wala "dropped valve". Nothing more. No serious problem. No problem at all with stock engines.

He re asked about the air filter and word was that they have never, ever seen a problem with the stock filters.

If one runs crappy aftermarket stuff on ANY engine you can expect problems. Brooks speaks very poorly of some aftermarket boxes. Big box + no brains + heavy foot = toasted engine !

Like you said "he had his motor running at about 450hp when a so called valve droped and took out #5 piston while pulling his horse trailer over some grades".

How can you expect a stockish 5.9L engine to put out 450HP for an extended period of time and live ? If you call that a design flaw, then your standards are pretty high.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:20 PM
Banned

"just to state, they all break, even tho i own a few cummins myself"

The Cummins doesn't have a MAJOR problem. If you run a faulty air filter or put a box on it and drive stupid, it will blow up. ANY engine will.

The Cummins doesn't overheat like 20-50% of the Duramaxes do. How would you like to have an engine that overheats pulling a rated load on a hot day ? And nobody knows why. And nobody helps you fix it ? Then you have a $40K truck and you can't really use it on a warm/hot day. Wouldn't that be nice ?

The Cummins doesn't spew coolant or blow head gaskets or run poorly because of a plugged EGR or suddenly not start because of a High Pressure oil pump, like the Ford 6L does.

And then we come to simplicity of working on them. Here the Cummins wins hands down. One can get to the injectors without spending a day removing valve covers, fender liners, air pipes, etc. The turbo is right there on the side of the engine. The Cummins is way easier to work on.

I rest my case.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:45 PM

i never stated the Cummins had a major problem, even tho some have more than normal problems with them

well the duramaxes i feel in a stock form take the punishment better when a power adder is added,(we all love to add) and that is seen at the track and dyno events

as for this duramax overheating problem, it is very far and few between, maybe like 5 percent of the newer lly motors are seeing this in 100 plus temps, lets just say not as common as your story Leeds us to believe

the dealer where i am from has never had a high operating temp yet, that common lets say, so how do you fix a truck that just a few have the problem

what about the Cummins lift pump issue, a buddy on holidays went threw one, says every 6 months, and how much$ are they

as for working on the cummins, i will give the cummins the benefit their, but then how much extra hp can be gotten in stock form from the cummins(lot less than the duramax) with just a simple 30 second tune installed,(no replacment for displacment) as for changing injectors the whole job i have down under 4 hours, good thing is our turbo is large enough that it does not need an upgrade as yours does

i rest my case

"just to state, they all break, even tho i own a few cummins myself"

The Cummins doesn't have a MAJOR problem. If you run a faulty air filter or put a box on it and drive stupid, it will blow up. ANY engine will.

The Cummins doesn't overheat like 20-50% of the Duramaxes do. How would you like to have an engine that overheats pulling a rated load on a hot day ? And nobody knows why. And nobody helps you fix it ? Then you have a $40K truck and you can't really use it on a warm/hot day. Wouldn't that be nice ?

The Cummins doesn't spew coolant or blow head gaskets or run poorly because of a plugged EGR or suddenly not start because of a High Pressure oil pump, like the Ford 6L does.

And then we come to simplicity of working on them. Here the Cummins wins hands down. One can get to the injectors without spending a day removing valve covers, fender liners, air pipes, etc. The turbo is right there on the side of the engine. The Cummins is way easier to work on.

I rest my case.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

"as for changing injectors the whole job i have down under 4 hours" If you are speaking of a DMax, I call BS, big time.

As far as lift pumps go on a Dodge, it ain't rocket science to diagnose or fix that issue. It is a inconvenience at worst, compared to other things.

Secondly, I don't care if only 5% of the Duramaxes have a heating problem. When a truck has a major unresolved problem, it has a major unresolved problem. What is the owner supposed to do with that truck ?

"lets just say not as common as your story Leeds us to believe". Go read the threads on dieselstop.com and you'll see how prevalent it is. 1500 posts in the one thread and they still don't have it figured out. Sounds serious to me.

And don't try to change the nature of the thread from which engine doesn't have a major issue to that of which engine is faster/cheaper/better to mod. That is another topic entirely.

And, no, not all of us want to mod. With 325/600, I am perfectly happy with my Cummins just the way it is. Maybe if your Duramax had 600ftlbs of torque from 1600 to 2900 RPM, you'd be happy with stock too.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:33 PM

I agree 100% with Superduty and that is the last I am commenting on this subject!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 PM

And, no, not all of us want to mod. With 325/600, I am perfectly happy with my Cummins just the way it is. Maybe if your Duramax had 600ftlbs of torque from 1600 to 2900 RPM, you'd be happy with stock too.

that 325/600 is like 270/500 to the ground, not to sure if it would pull the 10k trailer that great, use to pullin it with 500/1000 to the ground, but then all to their own i guess

all three diesels work great in stock form, its when you add the power that the faults come out of them, and they all have faults, not like the thread says
Old 10-03-2005, 06:40 PM

you drive a crx, , is that not a ricer

Originally Posted by CRXsi
I agree 100% with Superduty and that is the last I am commenting on this subject!

Quick Reply: Cummins is the only engine without major problems...