3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CRXsi
I agree with you Dodgetech77...if your gonna play then you better be ready to pay! If an alteration is not going to cause any extra wear and tear then DC should not and technically cannot deny warranty.(eg. installing guages and having a window regulator crap out is not resonable to deny warranty). But by lifting your truck and putting bigger tires on then what the factory installed is putting extra stress on all the drivetrain components including the engine as well. If your dealer is very nice they may overlook this ...but if they don't or won't you can't blame them at the same time as it is altered.

Age has nothing to do with it, however attitude does. If you go in acting like a know it all with attitude then it doesn't matter how old or young you are you will not get treated very well. If you go in sincere and pleasant, chances are you will get treated right.

And in response to the original topic...This is why I bought a Dodge over the others. All companies have warranty issues and all cars regardless of make will have breakdowns and common problems, some just more severe than others. So far Dodges are fairly minimal in comparison to others (in my opinion).
Sorry but I don't agree.
I always go to my dealer for my oil changes as I get the oil free and to do it myself really wouldn't save much. Anyway, I am amazed at how the service rep constantly tries to treat me like I am stupid.
The last incident was over my trying to get them to recalibrate my speedo for 315's. I had already read up on the procedure on this forum and being in the computer field I knew that pushing a few buttons wasn't very time consuming. When I first went in for the appointment he wanted to charge me an hour, I said WHAT? no way I am paying for an hour to do a job that only takes 10minutes max. He asked the rep next to him "Does a half an hour sound good?" Ok my first overcharge.
Next thing was I asked the service writer what number the technician put in and again from this site I knew the proper number. He had put in 621 and I told him that sounded wrong. Well, his standard answer for everthing is "I can only tell you what my technician says is correct" speach. I made another comment that it was wrong and I left. Went back with data from BFG and an online calculator to show the correct numbers and also told him that I had measured the rotation myself and it would only take being off by about 2 inchs for the numbers to be off from 621 to 605. He again started with the now HOUR AND A HALF this procedure would take to correct, I can only go by what the technician says and on and on. Finally the manager comes out after someone went to get him because we were arguing. The manager comes out, looks at the data, takes the truck in the back, corrects it and withing 5 miutes I am done.
This was the simpliest of procedures and it was like having my freaking arm amputated. I would really hate to be 1) a GIRL 2) Have a real problem 3) Trying to get warranty work done. This dealer just lost me as a customer and I will not be back even for oil.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:07 PM
Banned

If you guys want to experience incorrect information and criticism, try walking into a Dodge service department, telling them you are going to drop a Cummins into a Ford and then start asking questions.

The dealers don't know squat about these engines. Their techs only know how to replace parts and the service writers don't have a clue. Their answers are insulting because not only are they incorrect, they don't realize they are incorrect and they will argue until they are blue in the face to tell you they are correct.

Dodge dealerships would do well to have their techs spend an hour every day reading these forums. At least they would have some background understanding.

I took my truck to one dealership and popped the hood to show them it was running with a Cummins because they were so adamant it couldn't be done. Idiots !
Old 10-05-2005, 03:34 PM

Well said superduty. For the most part...I have never been impressed by any service department. Generally the techs (the good ones) are pretty sharp. What really bugs me is the service writters. Alot of info gets lost between the customer and the tech. And guess who is in the middle? The service writter!

Generally I try to talk to the tech myself. Of course alot of times they don't like this cause I don't think they want to deal with the customers directly. And I can understand why when you see and hear some of the customers that are getting their vehicle repaired!

Repairing a vehicle is like fixing anything else. It is all based on problem solving. And with websites like this..we the customers can "assist" the techs with their problem solving adventures!
Old 10-05-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealerships do read these posts, I had one accuse me of printing a TSB from the net and trying to get them to carry it out on my truck. Needless to say I promptly corrected them with the paper work from another dealership. That made them look pretty petty afetr wards.

Be carefull what you say,
Old 10-06-2005, 12:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky3008
Sorry but I don't agree.
This was the simpliest of procedures and it was like having my freaking arm amputated. I would really hate to be 1) a GIRL 2) Have a real problem 3) Trying to get warranty work done. This dealer just lost me as a customer and I will not be back even for oil.

.....For one Einstien you will NOT find ANY info at the dealer on how to MODIFY ANY settings away from a stock configuration. It's NOT in the books, tech line WILL NOT help as it's changing the emissions and the dealers are in fact NOT to do this.....that said, who do you think finally screwed around with a DRB and found that playing with Rev Per Miles, and tone ring settings that the speed sensor data could be manipulated to read a close to correct speed with off size tires.....most likely a tech/diesel enthusist. It was lurking on TDR and playing with a couple of customer vehicles where I finally learned this, and even with the tire manufacturers listed Rev Per Mile number i've seen speedo's still be 4-5 mph off. I've found road testing with a GPS is the only way to fly....and yes, I'd charge more than five minutes to do the job. Years ago they told us at training that the original intent was that any tire size could be entered to do this.....would be an easy solution to different tire sizes, that is until the EPA saw this and put a stop to it. That is why you only see factory size tires in the main menu. I know this will sound stupid to most, but changing tire size will effect the emissions on any given vehicle. These trucks are designed and tested with the watchful eye of big brother. Once they are approved, that is the way they are to be sold and operated. Gov't is tightening down on this stuff and it is increasingly coming down on the little guy. I'm actually surprised a guy can still even buy chips, injectors and such.

Dodge dealerships would do well to have their techs spend an hour every day reading these forums. At least they would have some background understanding.
....alot do, but most won't post here as we're pretty much looked down upon. I learn quite a bit here, and I tend to share info and help those who help me. Kind of like your inquiry on the psi relief valve....you didn't know they had a short lifespan if introduced to pressures beyond their threshold... "Knowledge is good"....quote from Emil Faber.

....I need a vacation. peace
Old 10-06-2005, 03:38 AM

Dealers/Techs/Service writers

J Body - Because you have posted here - I'm sure you are one
of the "good guys"!
Unfortunately lots and lots of Dealerships, Service writers,
and Techs (or mechanics - or whatever you wish to call them)
get bad reps because of lousy service.

Of course this is NOT always the case. If the city or town is
small enough a "reputation" means something.
Quality and ability are known.

Unfortunately, the larger the "client base" - quality declines and
ability is questionable at best.

Example: In So. CA there are as many dealerships -of every variety-
as Heinz has pickles! - and more every day.
I'm sure it's the same in any major metro area.

Now none of these folks know the customers - they don't care to,
they don't need to - because no matter what the quality of the
work, the customers just keep coming back. [with fists full of $$]
Sure somebody becomes dissatisfied, goes somewhere else - so what?

Service writers are exactly that - "writers". Writer doesn't mean anthing
except you know how to fill out information on a form - make
a few phone calls, etc. Sell the product (parts & service), keep the
customer happy until you have his $$.
A "Writer" is just another salesperson!
At one dealership the majority of service writers are female.
[Won't go any further with that one!]
Are there good Service Writers - sure . . . . but it ain't over til the
fat lady sings . . . .and she might be working on your vehicle!

The techs (mechanics): There's two chances of ever seeing one of
this rare breed of folks - slim* and none! You will never know if they
are brilliant or stupid or anywhere in between. [*except the fat lady].

OK - now the GOOD guys (and gals). The City I worked for had several
GM/Chrysler/Ford dealerships for the 30 years I was there, as well as
lots of various "foreign" car dealers.
Each of those dealerships changed hands (owners) about 5 or 6 times.
[Some more often than that!] I know - I inspected them, I did their
Certificate of Occupancies.
Did the change of ownership - and management -
make everybody (the employees) happy? I doubt it.

So, -YOU- are the dedicated and talented guy or gal now UNhappy
at your position . . . . .
. . . well, adios! Lots more sand on this beach!

You jump ship for that new dealership (or?) just down the road -
get a raise, better benefits, better schedule, friendly people to work with . . . . and-
Primitive Pete is taking your place - but the coustomer will never know.

Like Forrest Gump said,
. . . . "dealerships are like a box of chocolates . . . ."
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 AM

The other reason us 'techs' don't always reply or come on to these sites is because most people view us and refer to us as dumb mechanics or crooks! I take offense to this as do others who consider themselves to be good techs. The other thing some don't realize is that just because the job of using a scan tool may only take 20min or so doesn't mean that it can be charged out that way. The dealership I work at has a very sophisticated scan tool that costs $11000, how do you think that scan tool gets paid for. If someone wants to have it done cheaper they can always go out and buy their own scan tool....suddenly 1hour or 0.5hrs seems more cost effieicent doesn't it? Yes some dealers do overcharge...but others are being fair, don't forget that not only are you paying for knowledge but also the equiptment used to do the work.
Old 10-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

The other reason us 'techs' don't always reply or come on to these sites is because most people view us and refer to us as dumb mechanics or crooks! I take offense to this as do others who consider themselves to be good techs. The other thing some don't realize is that just because the job of using a scan tool may only take 20min or so doesn't mean that it can be charged out that way. The dealership I work at has a very sophisticated scan tool that costs $11000, how do you think that scan tool gets paid for. If someone wants to have it done cheaper they can always go out and buy their own scan tool....suddenly 1hour or 0.5hrs seems more cost effieicent doesn't it? Yes some dealers do overcharge...but others are being fair, don't forget that not only are you paying for knowledge but also the equiptment used to do the work.
I'm not saying that dealerships are crooks, I'm saying the people that puts your info in the computers wrong are morons reason they really think women are stupid why don't know anyhow you can set there and see what they are putting in the computer and as your saying one thing they are putting another.So what part did the writers not understand. Then I turn around and I ask for management to listen to me.Does he ever.Then you have them asking if you need anything else done, you say if I do I will talk to your boss Here I go with an example: I took my husbands 98 12v in to the dealership because it had a bad oil sensor, they said that they would have to do it because they had all the right tools,I just asked them where the sensor was locatedand they told me so I ordered one from Cumberland Cummins and I had it waiting here for my husband when he got home from work,they was wanting to charge me $175 just to take one out and replace it.I only paid $35 for the part. now go figure
Old 10-06-2005, 12:09 PM

$175 is excessive, my flat rate guide shows 0.5hrs + parts and possibly diagnosis time that some shops may charge of an extra 0.5hrs. There may also be a significant price difference between cummins and dodge for retail?

I agree that service writers can be big bone heads at times as I have to deal with them every day and sometimes it is hard to get the info the customer told them out of them!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 12:27 PM

Guys, I had my modified tranny installed at a distant dealer as my hot shop was 1000 miles away from my truck.(Wish I had towed the truck to him). The dealership put me in direct contact with the techs....1 that removed and installed the tranny, 1 that assembled and tested the tranny, and 1 that wired in the ATS diode and wiring. They lost my dipstick (cleaner threw it away overnite) and the mechanic went dumpster diving to get it back. The hourly rate was $70 us. They spilled Tranny fluid on my aircleaner box and replaced the air filter foc They cleaned the interior and exterior to remove any sign of tech prints. All in all good service although a little $$$. My own dealer I took in for the driveline vibration. They "found" a bad from u-joint. I had checked the u-joints and was sure they were ok. The tech took the u-joint out easily (it had been replaced 6 mos ago) and then I watched him beat the u-joint in a vice till it cracked. The u-joint replacement cost $300 a the dealer versus $65 at my normal mechanic. I'm sure they sent the beaten u-joint back to dodge and got a warranty service credit. I don't go back there any more. The service on my Duraflex's was awesome as I had a great relationship built up with them from the dozen or so visits in 18 mos...two on the back of a tow truck after the fuel froze at -20 and one of the three black boxes fried. All trucks were bone stock. All were covered under warranty and an oil change was $45 oil included. My Ford service has been excellent as when the dealership gets to bill out $4000 in warranty work they like you. ks
Old 10-06-2005, 02:23 PM

$175 is excessive, my flat rate guide shows 0.5hrs + parts and possibly diagnosis time that some shops may charge of an extra 0.5hrs. There may also be a significant price difference between cummins and dodge for retail?

I agree that service writers can be big bone heads at times as I have to deal with them every day and sometimes it is hard to get the info the customer told them out of them!!!

There is but still it was pitiful. I think it was only like $10. Your dealership (around here) usually doesn't carry anything in stock. So I have to call on the boys over atCumberland Cummins to have it ready for me.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:22 PM

Just so we are straight...I don't work for Dodge and unfortunately cannot help you out with stock on parts. I do know however it is extremely hard to expect a dealer to stock every single part for every single vehicle they make so it usually is wise to get the part ordered before you head to the dealer for an expected repair. Usually it only takes a day or two to get the parts in...usually. If a dealer were to stock every single part they would have so much money tied up in parts they would be bankrupt. It would be nice however. Not only is Cummins probably cheaper but as you pointed out they also carry more stock for Cummins motors than Dodge does because that is all they do. In other words, congrats on saving yourself a money and some time by doing it yourself...nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Just so we are straight...I don't work for Dodge and unfortunately cannot help you out with stock on parts. I do know however it is extremely hard to expect a dealer to stock every single part for every single vehicle they make so it usually is wise to get the part ordered before you head to the dealer for an expected repair. Usually it only takes a day or two to get the parts in...usually. If a dealer were to stock every single part they would have so much money tied up in parts they would be bankrupt. It would be nice however. Not only is Cummins probably cheaper but as you pointed out they also carry more stock for Cummins motors than Dodge does because that is all they do. In other words, congrats on saving yourself a money and some time by doing it yourself...nothing wrong with that.
I am not saying that they need to stock every part. Around here your lucky to get the part your looking for in a week. that's why I go other places.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:58 PM

I saw 20-21 mpg Hwy with my Dmax.(72mph)

and 15-16 city.

no problems with the motor, All new injectors and EVERYTHING else wrong with the truck.

I bought a dodge and have my fingers crossed.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra Maggot
I saw 20-21 mpg Hwy with my Dmax.(72mph)

and 15-16 city.

no problems with the motor, All new injectors and EVERYTHING else wrong with the truck.

I bought a dodge and have my fingers crossed.

hey there Tundra. now your doing good,you shouldn't have any problems now.

Quick Reply: Cummins is the only engine without major problems...