3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Cummins is the only engine without major problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 12:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you Dodgetech77...if your gonna play then you better be ready to pay! If an alteration is not going to cause any extra wear and tear then DC should not and technically cannot deny warranty.(eg. installing guages and having a window regulator crap out is not resonable to deny warranty). But by lifting your truck and putting bigger tires on then what the factory installed is putting extra stress on all the drivetrain components including the engine as well. If your dealer is very nice they may overlook this ...but if they don't or won't you can't blame them at the same time as it is altered.

Age has nothing to do with it, however attitude does. If you go in acting like a know it all with attitude then it doesn't matter how old or young you are you will not get treated very well. If you go in sincere and pleasant, chances are you will get treated right.

And in response to the original topic...This is why I bought a Dodge over the others. All companies have warranty issues and all cars regardless of make will have breakdowns and common problems, some just more severe than others. So far Dodges are fairly minimal in comparison to others (in my opinion).
Old 10-02-2005, 02:27 AM

Ok, I bought the Dodge for MPG, Industrial motor, heavy axel but not for the creature comforts. ....... SO

My truck has 700 miles on it and it's getting a whopping 11.5 MPG. Granted it's a new truck but gezzzzzz. And yes, I take the miles driven and divide it by the gallons used, my overhead thingy shows lower than actual. Most of the miles or 75%+ of them are on the hwy. .......unhappy with MPG so far.

The motor seems pretty good but it sure does get warm? I don't know if that's good or bad? I do know the "little" turbo is almost a joke. How in the world are the EGT's to stay low with that turbo?

The Axel........... oh no, I swear I thought it would lock at some point. Getting stuck on a DRY Concrete driveway just isn't funny. Having to use 4x4 just to get out of the driveway is a joke.

..........FYI on the Fords. The Fords are a real P.O.S. IMHO. The egr, the head studs and coolant problems are a designed flaw and FORD should have cut their losses early!

..........FYI on the Duramax. The Duramax has no more overheating problems than the Cummins. Some LLY's have issues while most others do not. It's something in the build, donno yet. The Dodge has a duelmass clutch just like the GM, just like it. The LBZ will only arrive with an Allison behind it, as the LBZ is over rated for the clutch system, hence the weaker LLY for the hand shaker. Fuel economy.....that's a hard one. Most of the Dodge fella's know how to keep their foot out of it but many of the GM boys think it's a gasser and treat it that way. I know my old truck/trailer combo @ 27,000 lbs got just over 11 MPG and that's runn'n "with" traffic! Oh yeah, the Allison transmission if a gift. I know of no other trans that works better/longer than an Allison. ......Dodge would not be # 3 if they had an Allison transmission.

.....and I'll get off my soapbox. pardon me.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:27 AM

I can relate with fuel mileage...that's about where mine started but is now getting consistently closer to 16.5-18 mixed driving and 12.5-13.5 while towing. Mine seemed to take a significant jump in mileage when I hit 7000 miles. In other words hang in there cause it will get better. Check your tire pressures cause mine were set at 32psi when I took delivery, might help some. Some people are also claiming 1-2mpg better by installing the $70 ROKKTECH crank sensor or by modding the tone ring for it. Still gotta love the mighty Cummins though....
Old 10-02-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ryans05
i am losing fath in my dodge its an 05 with 10,000 miles already had a tranny go out and two fuel pressure realys i am going to strat shoppin for somthin new dodge is the worst to deal with warrnty stuff with.

What gears are you runnin with those 37" tires??? I sure hope 4.56 or higher. If not I can't blame the trans for goin south.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:47 AM
Banned

"My truck has 700 miles on it and it's getting a whopping 11.5 MPG."

My engine was very tight too. Get the differential broken in and hook it up to a big trailer and go on a trip. I've got 3,000 miles on mine, mostly pulling, and I can tell it is still breaking in.

I find it hard to believe one could get mileage that poor considering I get 13 MPG pulling a big 5er.

"The motor seems pretty good but it sure does get warm? I don't know if that's good or bad? I do know the "little" turbo is almost a joke. How in the world are the EGT's to stay low with that turbo?"

The 6x0 engines have a 3rd injection event that makes the exhaust hotter than previous engines and you can't compare exhaust temps of the 3rd gen to the prior engines. Max temp on a 3rd gen is 1450 or so.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RickCJ
What gears are you runnin with those 37" tires??? I sure hope 4.56 or higher. If not I can't blame the trans for goin south.

While dodge has every legal rite to denie warrenty on his driveline, you cant honestly blame the large tires for killing the tranie or other driveline components. If that was the case everyone who ever towed anything more than a lawn mower would have a dead tranie and bad drivtrain. If you want to claim it puts more stress on the drive train having large tires, what do you think towing a heavy load does? Now if he is still trying to tow over abought 10k with it then yes he is asking for trouble but if it is only a toy and never getts hooked to a trailer then he is far eiasier on his drivetrain with his big tires then someone who never unhooks from a heavytrailer. Like I said Dodge has every legal rite to denie driveline warenty on it but if he just drives it around empty and his tranie died then I dont see how that is any worse then someone towing a large trailer all the time. That reminds me of the guy I bought all my mods off of. He had a truck identical to mine and traded it for a new ford 6.0. He got a 4x4 duely and had the dealer install a goosneck ball for him along with a couple other work related upgrades. Then he started having problems with it overheating when towing and it was always blowing the coolent out and a host of other dumb problems. After abought 5 times back for the same problems in 5000 milesthe dealer told him he was towing to much with it. He asked them what they thought he was going to do with a 1 ton duely that they installed a goosneck ball in? Go to the store and get groceries?? The drivline of Ryans05 truck was designed to handle more stress then his big tires alone would creat but if he is towing heavy with them then yes he is asking for trouble.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:40 PM

I do agree with you for the most part bkrukow, however there are other things to consider as well. If the truck is lifted what does this do to the driveline angles and ujoint stress? This is also a drivetrain component. I agree towing heavy is a stress that the factory does allow for..but like you said thay can look for things and deny warranty based on this. Likewise big tires also changes the gearing effectively and may put RPM ranges very low which DC could say that the vehicle is regularily driven below it's peak torque RPM and causing injector fouling, etc, etc, etc, which is again drivetrain realted (engine at least) and as a result they could also say a melted piston or something else is a result of lugging if RPM's have stayed too low. I'm not saying I totally agree with this...it is just how DC may look at it in an attempt to deny coverage. This is why if the factory didn't recommend it then why chance having warranty denial over it? And if you do want to chance it then why be upset if they deny coverage if it isn't stock.

The first step would be to try another dealer to see if they will turn a blind eye, which they may.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:24 PM

That makes you wonder about all the dealers here in Vegas that sell brand new trucks with lifts and larger tires. There is one right now at Integrity Dodge that has a 6" lift and 37's. Do you think they will void the drivetrain warranty if something goes out? I personally don't understand the dealerships that void warranties. They still get paid for the work and how will DC know if it's lifted. Also how does anyone know if the lift is the main cause of the problem. These trucks are rated to pull extreme amounts of weight, larger tires won't come close to the extra stress these trucks are designed for.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:52 PM

See thats the problem they dont get paid for warranty sometimes. Thats why there has been so many issues with warranty and stuff getting covered. Dealerships are so afraid of charge backs and audits by DC that if theres any questions they have been denying claims. This all went to hell when that filthy german scumbag took over! You think getting your warranty denied sucks try working for them and having to fight for every tenth of labor just to make a paycheck! Dont be so quick to blame the local dealer sometimes becuase DC has them over the barrel with no vasoline!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CRXsi- I forgot to mention the Ujoints. I was going to say that they would definatly be efected buy a lift. I could also see how they may claim he was running the truck at to low of RPMs to keep the tranie presure up to snuff and cause it to slip but I think that would be a strech.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryans05
dodge is so shady on warrty stuff they looked at my truck and said i had no warrenty on drivetrain cause the lift an tires. the dealers around me have know idea what is going on. they talked to me like i ahve no clue what i am talking i may be young put i know whats goin on.
....I'm speechless.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tortured
That makes you wonder about all the dealers here in Vegas that sell brand new trucks with lifts and larger tires. There is one right now at Integrity Dodge that has a 6" lift and 37's. Do you think they will void the drivetrain warranty if something goes out? I personally don't understand the dealerships that void warranties. They still get paid for the work and how will DC know if it's lifted. Also how does anyone know if the lift is the main cause of the problem. These trucks are rated to pull extreme amounts of weight, larger tires won't come close to the extra stress these trucks are designed for.
......We've had to deal with a few of those down here.....and people get po'ed when we send them back to where they bought it. I've lost count on the amount of guys that come in with these "show pony" trucks that complain about lack of towing power, suspension noises etc...On a couple of locals we bolted on sets of stock wheel/tire assys and pulled the local "hill" (laughlin grade 6%). They were amazed at the power/towing difference.....duhhhh.....and on the "how can they sell them" question????? because it's Vegas baby!! they know they can make major coin by tricking these trucks out and setting them out under the shiny lights. Why let some aftermarket guy make the $$. Kind of like that white mega-cab sitting at Tobin right now.....totally worthless in the towing world, but when you go to Glamis you HAVE to have the big lift and huge tires!!
Old 10-03-2005, 12:05 AM

i build custom rockcrawlers for a part time living and a full time hobbie. anyone that thinks they can lift a vehicle 6 inches and go 20% percent larger on their tire size without causing wear and tear on a driveline part anywhere in the driveline is crazy.

our crawlers are so overbuilt in comparison to the weight and engine output of the ctd and the trucks they come in and we still wear out parts and break things. the dealer has the right to void your warranty imo

my cj8 has full one ton runing gear and a mildly built 350 under the hood at about 3500 pounds and about 350 ft lbs of torque with 38 inch tires can easily snap the driveline if i wanted to

i regularly see jeeps that break dana 60 rear axles. put 37 inch tires behind a ctd and watch the carnage commence

four wheeler magazine had an article several months ago the showed the exponential growth in stress on a driveline caused by larger tires. those 37s are probably multiplying the torque seen by the driveline 8 to 10 fold

yes its a cool truck but you broke your own sh.....t. not dodge. i would ove to lift my rig and put bigger tires on it and i will as soon as the warranty runs out. and then just like my jeeps i will fix it myself when it breaks.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:17 AM

i guess it must be where your located, because my neighbor runs a fleet of 12 dodges on his( Kodiak coil tubing) CO.,and has just went threw his sixth motor last week, some had drooped valves and some were dusted, and his personal truck, done up Cummings just as well drooped a valve, also have another buddy that just had a drooped valve on his 600 Cummings, these are 20 grand screw ups, as stated they all break, and when you play be prepared to pay

Originally Posted by Superduty
I find it funny that the Dodge trucks are 3rd in sales volume when they have the only diesel engine that doesn't have a major problem.

Duramaxes have an overheating problem (http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38208) and if you read the user posts on fuel economy, it is nothing to write home about either. I find it especially interesting that the 6 speed Allison doesn't seem to increasing their economy either.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40115

The 6L Fords have the coolant overflow (puking) problem, which seems to be related to the head gaskets and head bolts. Aside from that problem, they are continuously having problems with EGR stuff, wiring harnesses and miscellaneous little things like losing oil pressure to the injectors. How can anyone buy a truck with these known problems ?

Now people will argue that not all trucks have these problems and that some "must have been built on a Monday". I don't buy that when I'm looking to buy a truck. How can you spend $40K and be uncertain as to exactly what you are going to get ? I don't get it. I think people are really going to figure this out when these trucks get a little older and they cost big $$$$ to keep them running.

I'm also sure that some of you will say that Dodges aren't trouble free either. And you'd have a point, except at least they don't have major driveline issues, save the automatics failing, but ALL automatics fail behind diesels.

Sure, Dodge/Cummins might have killer dowel pins and lift pump problems, but people can fix those problems inexpensively and easily. They don't have to write a 154 page documentary on all the work they've done to try to fix the problem.

Another interesting thing is that the new 360HP Duramax isn't going to be offered with the 6 speed manual. I'm thinking that GM isn't going to offer sticks anymore in the near future. While I am sure the Allison is a decent transmission, I just have no appetite for an automatic transmission behind a high torque diesel engine. I'm driving a stick now and I'll drive one for the rest of my life. Did I mention that the Duramaxes have clutch problems and dual mass flywheel problems with their stick setups ?

If I were buying a new truck today, I'd be getting a Dodge Megacab Cummins 6 speed manual. There would be no indecision on that. The Ford is out because of the 6L. The Duramax is out because of no stick on the new engine, overheating problems and clutch problems.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by rockhound
i build custom rockcrawlers for a part time living and a full time hobbie. anyone that thinks they can lift a vehicle 6 inches and go 20% percent larger on their tire size without causing wear and tear on a driveline part anywhere in the driveline is crazy.

our crawlers are so overbuilt in comparison to the weight and engine output of the ctd and the trucks they come in and we still wear out parts and break things. the dealer has the right to void your warranty imo

my cj8 has full one ton runing gear and a mildly built 350 under the hood at about 3500 pounds and about 350 ft lbs of torque with 38 inch tires can easily snap the driveline if i wanted to

i regularly see jeeps that break dana 60 rear axles. put 37 inch tires behind a ctd and watch the carnage commence

four wheeler magazine had an article several months ago the showed the exponential growth in stress on a driveline caused by larger tires. those 37s are probably multiplying the torque seen by the driveline 8 to 10 fold

yes its a cool truck but you broke your own sh.....t. not dodge. i would ove to lift my rig and put bigger tires on it and i will as soon as the warranty runs out. and then just like my jeeps i will fix it myself when it breaks.
Yes but the dealers are selling them to you brand new in this configuration. They should honor the drivetrain warranty. Also, these trucks are built for heavy duty towing (16,000 lbs and up). If larger tires put more stress on the drivetrain than a 16,000lb trailer, which I doubt, the dealers shouldn't be adding the lift and tires.

I also have a 86' Jeep cj-7, it is not completely finished but close. It has Currie 9" HP's w/Detroit lockers front and rear, spring over suspension and 35" swampers. Alot of other after market equip, too much too list. I know what you mean about stress but most of these trucks don't rock crawl, so they don't see the stress our jeeps do. Most of them are grocery getters and hardly even see heavy towing. they should not break that easily.

Quick Reply: Cummins is the only engine without major problems...