3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question cruise control

im looking for some help with my cruise control. when i push the on/off button it lights up on the dash, but that is all it does. it will not engage.

03 2500 4x4 with 140,000 miles.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That button only turns it off or on. There is also a set, resume and other buttons on the side of the switch. You must press set while at set speed to "set the cruise", then when you touch the brake petal it releases it. If you hit resume it returns to it's original set speed. Decrease while set causes it to slow down, think 2 mph per push, and hitting set while cruising increases speed 2 mph each push. It is all explaned in your manual. Not sure I gave you the right buttons to push but just read labels on them or look in your manual. If that is what you are doing and it dosen't work that wasn't what I read in your post and I apologize in advance.
Old 08-11-2006, 05:51 PM

i know how to work the cruise control. it just isnt working though. it will light up on the dash but no matter what i push it will not engage.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 PM

I think you have to be going over 35 mph before it will engage. If you are already doing that then I would suggest taking the black plastic cover off of the APPS. It's on the driver's side of the engine and is held on by two plastic screws going into plastic pushtabs. You have to pull the pushtabs out before the cover will come off. Under that cover are three wires. The closest one to the engine controls the cruise control. Check this and make sure it is still connected....
Old 08-28-2006, 07:01 PM

I know what you mean trod77

Trod77 I feel your pain, I have almost the same problem. I can set the curise (running over 35) and it might hold for 5 seconds, the longest was 2 min. then it releases like I hit the brake or the "OFF" button (the lights on the dash stay on). I then try setting it again and nothing. Until I turn off the engine, I am unable to set the cruise and repeat what I mentioned before.

I had the truck in the shop last week and they said nothing was wrong, no codes were being thrown. "Until codes are thrown, we cant fix the problem" the Manager said. They thought it was a temp issue because of the ungodly run of 40+ days of over 100deg. That was disproven Yesterday when going 70mph trying to set cruise at a temp outside of 75 (raining).

I dont think the vacum pump is working (behind Passenger Batt). I dont hear the buzzing like before. I mentioned this to the tech and he had no comments other than no codes were being thrown. I priced the vacum and it runs around $100 - $125.

This all started while pulling a camper back from Colorado. I thought it was something to do with a load the cruse couldnt hold, but it does it empty also.
Any Suggestion would be great.

Karl

04.5 2500 Quad 4x4 with Edge EZ
Old 08-30-2006, 08:36 AM

Bump

Any other Ideas what might be the issue? Anybody else with the same/close to same problem?

Any comments appreciated!
Karl
Old 08-30-2006, 03:19 PM

I had a similar problem on a Camry I owned. Turn on the CC and then off it went. Sometimes it stayed on for awhile then off again. Turned out to be related to the e-brake. Friend adjusted the e-brake and the CC worked like a charm. Said the e-brake really needed adjusting.

Just a thought.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:22 PM

brake switch

I found the problem on a grand am I was working on to be the brake switch when hit a bump or something moved it would kick cruise off just a thought don't know if they are set up the same or not.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:50 PM

The switch that turns the lights on? I will look there. What is an e-switch? WHere might that be?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:02 AM

I found the Problem on Mine

SO after having the Dealer check and say nothing could be done because no codes we being thrown and after going through every fues in the block, I have found the problem. It was the vacume pump behind the battery on the passenger side (I have an 04.5). I knew something was wrong with it becaue it stopped buzzing when turned on the key the same time the cruise stopped.

I went to the dealer to go get the vp, they had to come out to get the #'s. When they did, I was told the breaks vacume was ran off the power stearing thus I did not have break problems like most when the pump goes out. So after convincing the parts manager the $98 was well worth it for me I got it ordered. They were also taken aback on how small it was, that this was the only one and I was going to try it myself.

I Put the pump in last night and went on a drive. Cruise worked like nothing was wrong.

One final question, what else might this vp work for? Not sure what else was not working that I was missing?

Thanks for all the help and directions to look, this is a great sight for referrence and learning.
Karl
Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 AM

Is this vp always suppose to stay on? I never heard mine on while my truck was running but know I hear it running clearlyand it never shuts off. Any ideas. Is it just louder because maybe its going out

04dodge 3500
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by RJH/SH
Is this vp always suppose to stay on? I never heard mine on while my truck was running but know I hear it running clearlyand it never shuts off. Any ideas. Is it just louder because maybe its going out

04dodge 3500
My vp started to run all the time recently. Found a hose/tubing leak near the cruise control where a cable had been rubbing against it. Cut out the bad spot and used appropriate size rubber vacuum hose (about 2" long) to reconnect the plastic tubing. VP only comes on a few seconds when turning the key on now. Sounds like you may have the same problem--just run your fingers slowly along the plastic tubing until you feel the leak.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:08 PM

Thumbs up Vacum Pump Solved

That was it. Found a small knick in the plastic line, cut and spliced back together, problem solved.

THANK YOU