3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant Leak!!! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicheshok
Ill try the corn starch trick. Great idea!

I took it for a ride this morning and here is the only spot coolant showed itself. I'm pretty sure it's coolant. It's neon green. It seems to be showing up around those lugs? What are those lugs exactly?

Clearly from the pics you posted you have a head coolant plug leak. The real question is why? If you notice the black staining on the #6 exaust manifold, this would give me more pause for concern coupled with the head plug leak. I think your problems are deeper than you think.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
Clearly from the pics you posted you have a head coolant plug leak. The real question is why? If you notice the black staining on the #6 exaust manifold, this would give me more pause for concern coupled with the head plug leak. I think your problems are deeper than you think.
I tightened up those plugs. There is a small amount of black staining where the manifold bolts on @ #6. I did notice that the plug closest to the back of the exhaust manifold was a little loose. I cleaned it all up and I'm going to run it this morning and see what happens. Would the coolant leaking out of that plug cause that small part of the manifold to turn black? Could the fact that the Crankcase vent needing to be replaced play any part in the coolant showing up?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:51 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicheshok
I tightened up those plugs. There is a small amount of black staining where the manifold bolts on @ #6. I did notice that the plug closest to the back of the exhaust manifold was a little loose. I cleaned it all up and I'm going to run it this morning and see what happens. Would the coolant leaking out of that plug cause that small part of the manifold to turn black? Could the fact that the Crankcase vent needing to be replaced play any part in the coolant showing up?

My concern is that the #6 cyl has been overheated which in turn weakens the thread seal on the coolant plugs. I think the coolant leaking rearward onto the exhaust manifold may have exasperated the appearance of the soot or oil staining in the picture. I would pull an oil sample and send it out for analysis.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:46 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from the obvious leak, the green coolant is a red flag to me the truck's cooling system has had some attention. Coolant is suppose to be HOAT, not the typical EthGlycol. The suspicion that someone who didn't know what the truck spec'd was working on it makes me nervous.

I can't speak for the rest but look like Hvytrkmech has got you covered on that. He knows his stuff.

Wash down that block so you can get a clear view of what's going on. You know you have a problem, start pinpointing.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
My concern is that the #6 cyl has been overheated which in turn weakens the thread seal on the coolant plugs. I think the coolant leaking rearward onto the exhaust manifold may have exasperated the appearance of the soot or oil staining in the picture. I would pull an oil sample and send it out for analysis.
I will take an oil sample and have it tested.

To touch on what Shorts commented on, could the fact that the wrong coolant was in the truck caused the #6 cylinder to overheat?

@Shorts I did have someone change my fan clutch as well as pull the radiator so I could have it fixed. He was the guy who put the green coolant in. I already went and picked up some HOAT "red" coolant from the dealer and will be flushing the system as soon as I finish installing my Spyntec free spin hubs.