3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Coolant Help!! Used Dexcool..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant Help!! Used Dexcool..

Ok, I know this has been beat up, and I have researched this forum and now I'm confused and worried....

1. Had leak.. looked like the tranny...( color ) but thanks to this forum and research found out it was the coolant leaking from the clamp near the turbo... problem solved..

2. Was low on coolant, overflow was down to ADD line. So thanks to Advance auto parts store, they said use DEXCOOl, I said are you sure, they said yes.... of course I read the fine print and it says... its ok with Diamler-Crysler, so I go what the hell its the same color...

3. Now getting back last night and reading about Coolant threads, because my gut says better check..... Some threads say I use it all the time, some say your screwed, some are mixed emotions.....

4. So what do I need to do?? I only used about half a gallon. Do I need to get the system flushed, just go with it or what.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:37 AM

If you only used a half gallon to get you home etc, then your fine. But Dexcool does not mix well, so the best thing to do now since the problem is fixed is do a complete flush of the system and replace with a G-05 rated coolant.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now for something completely different, I used to have a gm with dexcool, supposed to be superior product, better cooling, etc. I put it in my sled and quad (fuji motor) and both started to leak like a sieve. Head, base gasket, clamps, etc. Drain dexcool, put in good old Prestone, no more leaks.

Stupid thing was, those 5.7 liters were not exactly highly machined pieces of equipment and it NEVER leaked. Still baffles me...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roperteacher is correct get some HOAT coolant in there ASAP as the other stuff does not protect the cooling system as good as Zerex G-05 will. Also make sure you use Distilled water and not tap water. FYI the proper coolant to use in your 2006 is HOAT coolant
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM

If you just put the dexcool in your res. it can be drained. Take the line off of the radiator small one just next to cap and put down twards ground in a pail. That will drain the reservoir. Then refill with the appropriate stuff.

If you put that stuff in your radiator, drain, flush, and refill as per above suggestions. Dexcool is the anti-christ of coolant in my opinion. Pure evil.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by jballou
If you just put the dexcool in your res. it can be drained. Take the line off of the radiator small one just next to cap and put down twards ground in a pail. That will drain the reservoir. Then refill with the appropriate stuff.

If you put that stuff in your radiator, drain, flush, and refill as per above suggestions. Dexcool is the anti-christ of coolant in my opinion. Pure evil.
I will try this, may save me a few $$. instead of doing a complete flush. I don't think any has been used out of the overflow tank. Thanks for all the help. I should have known better.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM

All I use is Dexcool. No problems in the last 7 years with a diesel.

You guys worry too much.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
All I use is Dexcool. No problems in the last 7 years with a diesel.

You guys worry too much.
YA'LL see what I mean

But I still love everybody on here...

I think a half gallon want hurt Crap.... and at 100K I was gonna change all the fluids anyway.

If the SOB blows up before then, I will start another Thread.