3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

auto trans - flushing vs NOT flushing!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you only put 7 qts of new fuid in and the total capacity is 16 qts, you'll need 4 'drop the pan' fluid changes to get 90% new fluid. I get at least that by doing the fluid change at home thru the trany cooler line, and it only cost me about 40 cents for a length of hose, and less than $25 for 16 qts of fluid (but that was Chevron Mercon for the cars from Costco). Dropping the pan to change the filter and doing a total fluid change would need 2 cases of fluid, which would be less than $40, and whatever a filter costs. Dodge ATF4 is a lot more expensive, so $180 for a 'full flush that is merely a full fluid exchange' seems like a good deal.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Be careful not to run the pump dry opening a cooler line. It has happened to me. (This is the old way of flushing the system). Someone came over and was asking a bunch of questions while I was adding fluid while running. Needless to say the conversation got intense and I was slow on picking up my next quart. I didn't hurt the vehicle. I had someone in the driver's seat just in case that happened and they shut down the car. That is why the machines are so great. They eliminate this type of situation from ever happening.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
47re and 48re hold like 18 qts.Only a 1/4 at most comes out dropping the pan.To flush my 98 1500 takes 16 qts and the Mercury Gran Marquis takes 14 qts etc.Really the word FLUSH is wrong.Its a FLIUD EXCHANGE.Machine has a bladder you fill,auto runs in gear wheels lifted.Machine has a SIGHT glass.Even whats looks GOOD on the dipstick is VERY fifferant looking in the sigh glass.When NEW fliud appears in sight glass turn vehicle and machine off.Unhook,test drive and top off unit as needed.New fliud through cooler,lines,valves,torque convertor etc.I do use the BG cleaner added to the old fliud.I don't use their condintioner but did on hundereds and hundereds.Its just a additive pack.Only flushing has ever taken care of torque convertor lock up shudder on one after another.Dropping the pan service never did squat in shift quality or lock up shudder.To me dropping the pan is better then doing nothing but thats about it.Its a NEW CENTURY GUYS
Old 05-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan_K
...Let them do their job, make them feel like they are doing you a favor for suggesting the proper maintenance, and see where the chips fall. I walk into my dealership, and they treat me like a king. Nobody tells me my warranty's void because I've got big tires, or a module, they make sure I'm happy with my vehicle which to me seems to be worth alot more than saving a couple of $bux on a half *** fluid change.
\

shoot, it'd be nice if all the dealerships treated everyone like kings...
It must be nice!