3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil in fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok some more learning curve for you guys and additives...

We all know that diesel fuel has more BTU's than Gasoline right...

#2 Diesel .......................... 139,000 BTU's
Gasoline............................ 125,000 BTU's

So this is why diesel does more work (TQ) and has better MPG numbers compared to there gasoline brothers...

Here is some more to think about for BIO fuels... Small reduction but not bad...

Ethanol ............................. 76,000 BTU's
B20................................... 138,000 BTU's
B100.................................. 130,000 BTU's

Now for you common 3 diesel additives...

Naptha............................... 15,000 BTU's
Mineral Spirits...................... 19,000 BTU's
Xylene............................... 18,000 BTU's

So this proves the MORE fuel additives you use the LESS amount of HP/TQ and MPG your going to get from your truck... All its doing is washing out the fuel...

So how about 2 cycle oil...

2 cycle oil (avg).................... 138,000 BTU's

So 2 cycle oil isn't going to reduce the BTU value of diesel fuel. So its still a excellent choice as a fuel additive so far....
Old 08-14-2007, 09:07 AM

I think there's obviously more to it than just BTU's. Why not just run a 50/50 mix of 2 stroke and #2 and get 30 mpg?

All I'm saying is that there's not enough evidence on either side to prove anything for certain. I have not seen the first shred of evidence that NOT running 2 stroke oil will harm or shorten the life of your engine. I have not had the positive results that some others have had, but I'm not alone either in my negative results. My mileage has dropped using 2 stroke and I have paid extra money to see those loses. Whatever the BTU's are with PS or Lucas I really don't care. My truck gets better mileage with PS then with 2 stroke as an additive but I rarely run it. However, i am listening to Cummins when they say that additives are not needed.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by coolslice
I think there's obviously more to it than just BTU's. Why not just run a 50/50 mix of 2 stroke and #2 and get 30 mpg?

All I'm saying is that there's not enough evidence on either side to prove anything for certain. I have not seen the first shred of evidence that NOT running 2 stroke oil will harm or shorten the life of your engine. I have not had the positive results that some others have had, but I'm not alone either in my negative results. My mileage has dropped using 2 stroke and I have paid extra money to see those loses. Whatever the BTU's are with PS or Lucas I really don't care. My truck gets better mileage with PS then with 2 stroke as an additive but I rarely run it. However, i am listening to Cummins when they say that additives are not needed.
Hmmm... I heard of some saying this... But still it all not all trucks are the same... The driver don't drive the same... They add-on toys are not the same... There is a huge amount of varibles here... I don't expect to get good results with every one...

My objective is to open the eyes of people so they can see that most all diesel additives are made on the basic 3 chemical... Just because a big company is making a product doesn't mean its good for your truck.

Like the medical field they sell you a pill for heartburn but it going to cause 10-20 other medical problems (includung death)... So once again is it safe just because a BIG Company manufactures a product for your truck that is safe to use??? Just something to think about...
Old 08-14-2007, 09:28 AM

I think every motor is different. I also think a lot factors come into play when using 2 stroke. Quality of fuel and driving conditions might be some of them. It works for some guys and not for others. 2 stroke isn't some miracle additive that will instantly give you great mileage and a better running motor. I use it and get decent results. I'm not using it in every tank because I use an injector cleaner (which isn't "bad" for an engine either) every couple of tanks. If I can't find 2 stroke when I need fuel I don't use it. It's not going to be devistating to my motor. The only proof I need are the tests I conduct myself. People should try what they want and if it works use it, but don't push it on others, just recommend it.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by t-boe
I think every motor is different. I also think a lot factors come into play when using 2 stroke. Quality of fuel and driving conditions might be some of them. It works for some guys and not for others. 2 stroke isn't some miracle additive that will instantly give you great mileage and a better running motor. I use it and get decent results. I'm not using it in every tank because I use an injector cleaner (which isn't "bad" for an engine either) every couple of tanks. If I can't find 2 stroke when I need fuel I don't use it. It's not going to be devistating to my motor. The only proof I need are the tests I conduct myself. People should try what they want and if it works use it, but don't push it on others, just recommend it.

Agreed. No two trucks are the same. Even my truck goes through different stages where is does better or worse, probably due to fuel quality and other factors. IMO, running an additive whether it be 2 stroke or PS is a good thing in moderation. Doing it every tank or adding a half gallon at a time is probably not smart.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 PM

This only thing that 2 cycle oil will do is lube the fuel system for sure...

Both of you are right in regards to MPG and power... There is a lot of factors that will change the out come of 2 cycle oil usage. Like me... I have a string of high 19-20 MPG and then a string of 17-18 MPG (hauling firewood, city driving, etc).
Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 AM

A friend of mine tried the 2 cycle oil thing in his '98 just recently over the course of a couple tanks. He's currently on the west coast on holidays. He said the engine ran far smoother and better after the addition of the 2 cycle oil.

When I spoke with him last night on the phone, he mentioned that he did not put any oil in with fuel on his last fill and the truck is currently idling like crap.

He was asking me what to do. He lost phone service before I could answer. I personally think that the extra lubricity was helping him in his case. The older engines weren't designed for ULSD IMHO.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It seems that some people add various things to increase mileage to save money? Do you add the additive price into the fuel price when calculating $/mile? Isn't all of that stuff more expensive than fuel?

I think you guys just need some biodiesel.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by drolex
It seems that some people add various things to increase mileage to save money? Do you add the additive price into the fuel price when calculating $/mile? Isn't all of that stuff more expensive than fuel?

I think you guys just need some biodiesel.
Biodiesel is fine and dandy but many of us doesn't have easy access to it. It's a 50 mile round trip for me to buy some. I can get TCW3 one mile away at the local Walmart.

MikeyB
Old 08-16-2007, 07:50 AM

I don't think there's a biodiesel station within 250 miles of my house. Here in KY, they are getting ready to build a giant new facility that turns coal into diesel fuel. That would be nice if they don't ship it all out of the country. We'll end up making it in our backyard and not even be able to buy the stuff.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:02 AM

Lots of mis conceptions about tcw-3 and synthetic 2-stroke, IMO. But the key is HOW MUCH you use..... not the brand or the rating.
-TCW-3 = Two Cycle Water, 3rd generation.... and is ashless by definition.
-TC = Air cooled Two Cycle Oil
-Synthetics 2-cycle will work just as well (still designed to burn at same temp)... but it's more expensive, with no real benefit to a CTD.

Air cooled 2-Cycle oil is designed to burn at higher cylinder head temps. But either air cooled (TC) or water cooled (TCW-3) formulas will work for us, because of high cyl. head temps in a diesel.

Mopar1973 is getting good results, IMO, because of using the right amount... 1:128.... or 1 oz 2-cycle oil to 1 gal ULSD.
Mileage increase is no placebo effect, to me. Oil has more BTU's than diesel fuel, so adding it can produce better mileage. I get .8 - 1.0 better with 1 oz 2-stroke oil to 1 gal ULSD. I suspect the 139,000 BTU figure above (for #2 Diesel... is not for ULSD and may be an older figure).

And I'm beginning to believe adding 2-cycle oil, to ULSD, is preferred to adding Diesel Fuel Treatments.... because most of them contain some form of alcohol. The one exception, I think, is Stanadyne, but not positive.

For those asking, there is no bad side effects using 2-cycle oil in an 06 or older... if you don't use too much! Remember, diesels were invented to run on peanut oil originally... and modern CTD's still will ... ie, Biodiesel

RJ
Old 08-16-2007, 08:23 AM

Once again...

I've got to go underground again... Someone on another forum had started to report me to large companies and gov't agencies on my 2 cycle theory. I don't need the threaten emails/phone calls from companies and gov't agencies....

So as it stand of right now my web site is DELETED and this with be my last and final post in regards to 2 cycle oil usage in diesel engines in the public forums.

As for my friends out the please PM me and I will continue to keep you posted in private email of my finding and updates to my 2 cycle oil theory. But I not going to publicly post again...
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Don't you just love them trolls!!

Have some following me around from website to website also. Sure would like to meet them out in the corn field on a dark night. Corn sure could use a little more natural fertilizer!!
Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM

Please don't plant Trolls in the corn field as their stench may ruin next years crop of Soy Beans. I think the proper place for them is in the sewage pond where you won't notice their stench.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Some people are experts at everything and go off the wall when someone has a different opinion and stands up for it.
The internet brings out the worst and the best in people.

Quick Reply: 2 cycle oil in fuel tank.