3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil in fuel tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should be just fine... TCW-3, ASHLESS, Petroluem 2 cycle oil should be fine...
Old 07-23-2007, 07:45 PM

Any particular brand that is better than the other??
Old 07-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by hapidonnie
Any particular brand that is better than the other??
As long as it's ashless and not synthetic it's good. I put a synthetic blend in mine and it doesn't seem to like as much. I think the good 'ole Wally World cheap stuff is good. If you can find Citgo brand I know that's pretty cheap also.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:26 PM

One of my new injectors was starting to leak down a little at night after only 7,500 miles on it and I was starting to get some tapping too. I decided to try the Wally World TCW3 two-stroke oil this past weekend since some folks said it quieted down their engines...

The tapping is gone, as is the slight leakdown I was getting. The engine is super smooth and quiet with this stuff. It's going in every time from now on. It made a BIG difference!

So is it the lack of lubricity that is killing the injectors on the 3rd gens?
Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 AM

Apologize for the questions regarding 2 stroke but I use PS white bottle. Would there be any prob with the 2 stroke and PS?
Old 07-24-2007, 02:02 PM

When I pumped unleaded gas into my truck (about 7 gals) I dumped a container of 2 cycle oil, the small bottles used on garden tools, and half a bottle of Power Service. Not only did the engine run smoother, but was quietier and MPG went up.

Haven't had any problems from the oil of the unleaded gas mix since then.

BTW AVOID BP GAS STATIONS, those idiots mark their unleaded pump handles green like diesel. I should have checked, but I make sure I do now!!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

also of note, avoid amsoil synthetic two stroke, its red, ask me how I know? had a tank of red fuel from it......... kept the empty with me just in case !
Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Apologize for the questions regarding 2 stroke but I use PS white bottle. Would there be any prob with the 2 stroke and PS?
I mixed some Howes Meaner Power Cleaner in with mine once. It didn't seem to run as smooth. I'm going to run the Howes seperately about every second or third tank to keep things clean.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM

I believe with adding PS or Howes with the 2 cycle oil, you are accomplishing nothing except for throwing your money out the window.

The 2 cycle oil is being added to lubricate the fuel system. By adding Howes or PS at the same time, they "remove" the 2 cycle oil's lubricating properties because they are basically "solvents" that clean contaminants (oil) out of the fuel.

Mopar1973man just uses straight 2 cycle oil because he believes the fuel is clean enough going through the fuel filter. He states that the fuel needs more lubrication, not cleaning.

Bookmaker has seemed to confirm Mopar1972man's beliefs.

t-boe is making the best out of both worlds. 2 cycle oil for 2 - 3 tanks and then runs a cleaner (Howes / PS) through the next tank and then starts the cycle over again. I think I am going to try the "t-boe" tank cycle thing myself.

Skinner.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:01 AM

OK Thanks for the replys.
Just filled the tank and added PS.
Ill change it next week.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:11 AM

I have been using 2 cycle oil since early May. I run 32 oz. per tank (33~34 gallons) which works out to be about 100:1 ratio or 4 tanks fuel per gallon of 2 cycle oil I then run at least 1 or 2 tanks of Power Service to make sure the injectors stay clean. I use Walmart brand Blue-Tech which is ashless and TCW3 I have notice between 1.5 ~ 2 MPG increase when using 2 cycle oil and the engine does run smoother - and as an added bonus if I wind out the engine in 4th, 5th, and 6th I can get it to smoke like a locomotive :-)

I am only going to run 2 cycle oil in the warm months - May through September
Old 08-01-2007, 03:07 PM

I got something for you to think about INJECTOR CLEANERS...

If the injectors are getting dirty from the fuel and your expecting a injector cleaner to clean out the dirt. Think about it if the cleaner could do that then your fuel filter wouldn't have to be changed because it would of cleaed out the fuel filter too. But the likely hood of your injectors been dirty from the fuel is highly rare. Being that Fleetguard filters are extremely good at filtering... In the first 50K miles of my truck I used PS and my fuel filter was always dirty at 12K miles so I know the injector cleaner isn't going to clean the injectors...

Now if you injectors are dirty from combustion deposits... Well injectors cleaner isn't going to do a thing there... The depostis are ASH... From using ATF, WEO, Engine oil, etc. The only way your going to clean them is too cook them good. Hook up a trailer and pull a good sized grade awhile so the pyro will get up to 1,100 to 1,200*F and cook the deposits off it... But I'm sorry to say Naptha, Xylene, and mineral spirits will NOT remove deposits of you injectors... Trust me it won't even clean a spark plugs let alone a injector... (Roll Eyes smiley)

So far I've not touch a single cetane booster and/or injector cleaner in 60K miles and my MPGs are still high and doing GREAT! So why waste your money...

As for Cetane Boosters... Cummins requires 40 Cetane ion the summer (>32*F) and 45 cetane in the winter (<32*F). Currently Chevron is high cetane now... Check out...
http://www.cpchem.com/enu/tds_unsecu...el_summary.pdf

There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer.The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the importance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number!!!
So adding cetane boosters are not going to improve the performance of the engine and/or fuel.
Cetane improvers modify combustion in the engine. They encourage early ignition of the fuel. They encourage premature combustion and excessive rate of pressure increase in the combustion cycle.
Look at the materials they use in most cetane boosters. Mineral Spirits, Xylene, and Naptha none of these chemicals are even close to the diesel fuel family. They also have very low flash points like gasoline! Every one of them are used for degreasing and cleaning solvents.
Cetane Number is a measure of the ignition quality of a diesel fuel. It is often mistaken as a measure of fuel quality. Cetane number is actually a measure of a fuel's ignition delay. This is the time period between the start of injection and start of combustion (ignition) of the fuel. In a particular diesel engine, higher cetane fuels will have shorter ignition delay periods than lower cetane fuels.
Cetane booster tend to advance the timing of ignition. Hence the ignition knock that you hear. The lower the cetane number the less ignition knock you'll hear. Also the flash point and the auto-ignition temps of the fuel is reduced greatly.
Cetane number should not be considered alone when evaluating diesel fuel quality. API gravity, BTU content, distillation range, sulfur content, stability and flash point are very important. In colder weather, cloud point and low temperature filter plugging point may be critical factors.
All of the cetane boosters on the market tend to reduce the BTU content of the fuel. Hence it reduces the MPG and the HP/TQ numbers. Sulfur content is been reduced national to 520 HFRR (<15 PPM Sulfur) which mean less lubricity of the fuel. Cetane boosters tend to de-stabilize the flash point. Go back to my Chemical definition page and look at the flash points of the different chemicals.

So adding Cetane boosters and/or injector cleaners isn't going to improve anything... So why waste your money...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by cad14man
I have been using 2 cycle oil since early May. I run 32 oz. per tank (33~34 gallons) which works out to be about 100:1 ratio or 4 tanks fuel per gallon of 2 cycle oil I then run at least 1 or 2 tanks of Power Service to make sure the injectors stay clean. I use Walmart brand Blue-Tech which is ashless and TCW3 I have notice between 1.5 ~ 2 MPG increase when using 2 cycle oil and the engine does run smoother - and as an added bonus if I wind out the engine in 4th, 5th, and 6th I can get it to smoke like a locomotive :-)

I am only going to run 2 cycle oil in the warm months - May through September
You cvan run it all winter too... 2 cycle oil has a pour point down to -40*F so you protected for the winter time too... I've tested down to -20.2*F and never had a problem...

Here was the temp in New Meadows, ID on Jan 19, 2007

Here is the pour point info on the product I was using. (Snowmobile 2 cycle oil)...

http://www.smallandsonsoil.com/index.php?x=PH_injex

Think about it if 2 cycle oil was to gell up snowmobiles wouldn't exist today... Just think about it hard...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At one time and it's been a while and the Centane numbers could of changed, Bosch wanted our fuel to have a minimum of 50 Centane. Being Bosch made our fuel system you would think they know what they are talking about and what requirements the fuel should have. The last I read that in the EU diesel fuel was 50 Centane or higher. IIRC they also have fewer injector problems in the EU then what we have with our low 40 Centane fuel. Yes Cummins can make our diesel engines run on 40 Centane fuel but diesel engines use to run a better on the higher Centane fuel we had back in the mid 1980’s.

So why should anyone trust Chevron {or place your favorite big oil company name here and the Government} they lied to us back in the 1970’s and who’s to say they aren’t doing so again? We all know that if big oil had to make better fuel it would cost them more profit. BTW, at least in my area, they don’t add any lube to the fuel until it’s loaded in to the truck at the tank farm for delivery to the station.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DBLR
BTW, at least in my area, they don’t add any lube to the fuel until it’s loaded in to the truck at the tank farm for delivery to the station.
Hmmm... That is another problem too... How do you know that the lube package was added and also at the right amount? I know they don't test every load going out to the stations...

Here is the fuel requirements by DC (Dodge) 2007 models
http://www.gsa.gov/gsa/cm_attachment...DZ-i34K-pR.pdf

Like I will qoute again...
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man
There is no benefit to using a higher cetane number fuel than is specified by the engine's manufacturer.The ASTM Standard Specification for Diesel Fuel Oils (D-975) states, "The cetane number requirements depend on engine design, size, nature of speed and load variations, and on starting and atmospheric conditions. Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance. Accordingly, the cetane number specified should be as low as possible to insure maximum fuel availability." This quote underscores the importance of matching engine cetane requirements with fuel cetane number!!!
This is from the ASTM testing results...

Quick Reply: 2 cycle oil in fuel tank.