3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

'05 48re overdrive lockout

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is probably because the clown at DC that designed this feature has never driven a truck, let alone a diesel or towed with a diesel.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Wow, I really feel for you '05 owners. I've never seen an automatic equipped car or truck that didn't offer an OD lockout feature!

The addition of OD lockout in '06 wasn't perfect either. They used the same button for T/H and OD lockout and you can't use the OD lockout while using T/H mode! To me this makes no sense. Why would you want to use T/H mode and NEVER lockout OD?? The two would usually be used together!
The 02 and previous allison in the GMs had NO overdrive lockout eather.
You can make the 06 work- lockout overdrive and the trans torque converter will lockup in third. If you need 2nd just pull shift lever into 2nd and the TC will lockup in 2nd, uphill and downhill brakeing too.
But your right , you shouldnt loose tow haul when you lockout overdrive .
Engineers have there heads up there _______. But what can one expect . They should have had the 05 right , after all they had OD lockout for year
Old 12-06-2006, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by jrussell
Wow, I really feel for you '05 owners. I've never seen an automatic equipped car or truck that didn't offer an OD lockout feature!

The addition of OD lockout in '06 wasn't perfect either. They used the same button for T/H and OD lockout and you can't use the OD lockout while using T/H mode! To me this makes no sense. Why would you want to use T/H mode and NEVER lockout OD?? The two would usually be used together!
You can make the 06 work- lockout overdrive and the trans torque converter will lockup in third. If you need 2nd just pull shift lever into 2nd and the TC will lockup in 2nd, uphill and downhill brakeing too.
Engineers have there heads up there _______. But what can one expect . They should have had the 05 right , after all they had OD lockout for years
Old 12-06-2006, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by bluepp
Engineers have there heads up there _______. But what can one expect . They should have had the 05 right , after all they had OD lockout for years
Good point. I'll be curious to find out if the OD lockout kit will allow T/H to be active with OD locked out.