2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Worrisome steering noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worrisome steering noise...

I've only had my truck about 6 months. It has about 110,000 miles and the prior owner (who is also the original owner) didn't drive it much in recent years. Well, we recently took it on our first long trip, about 1,000 miles, and a worrisome noise emerged, apparently from the steering column.

The wheel/column began to make a sharp clicking sound when turned to the left. It's a harsh sound, and it can be felt through the wheel, as if the mechanism is passing over a notch or a loose bolt while turned. At least, that's what it sounds, feels like. At first it seemed like it was only happening at about the 8 o'clock position on the wheel, but later it began to move closer to "noon." And it does not happen all the time.

Like I said, it began on this long trip, which included about two hours on a very curvy, long mountain road and very hot temperatures. It's been intermittent since then.

Any ideas what this is? Is my steering column about to fall apart?
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the more experienced members will hop on this thread soon I am sure. There have been a fair number of posts about steering wheel noise and they will be able to help you out. Until they get here, I would suggest you take a look under the hood. Between the firewall and steering box there is a joint called 'The Rag Joint'. I would grab the steering shafts on each side of this joint and see if you can wiggle them around much. If you have a lot of play around that joint, that is where I would start.

When my trackbar bushing were worn, I would get a real sharp clunk that could be heard and felt under my left foot. The clunk was loudest and strongest if I turned the wheel a half turn each way while parked, engine running but truck not running.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Agreed, only way to eliminate the "obvious" stuff it to really check out anything that moves when the steering wheel moves. From the steering shaft down to the box itself, the frame has cracked before where the steering box bolts up. Then have a helper move the steering wheel back and forth while you check all joints closely with a flashlight. All tie rod ends, ball joints, track bar, etc. Then do it again with the wheels up in the air (axle on jackstands) if you don't find anything.