3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Valve noise/rocker noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valve noise/rocker noise

Hey all, got a question

I have a bone stock '06 2500 with 20k on the clock and have had the Jacobs exhaust brake dealer installed in April of this year. Truck has been doing great until recently. Always have been using Howes Diesel treat from the start, and Meaner cleaner at least once a month. I have already replaced the fuel filter twice, going to the same dealer all the time for oil and filters, just so they know I'm not using other parts, other than Mopar. Always use the 7 micron filters.

Anyway, just recently, I have noticed that when I start my truck when its dead cold, engine idles fine, no abnormal noise. Only after it warms up to full operating temperature do I notice a somewhat loud tick, and the engine doens't idle quite so smooth. Kinda like a real slight chugging noise. Oil level has been staying the same, although, my coolant level has been dropping ever so slightly recently. Otherwise, no white smoke, even at startup, and no engine problems at driving speeds.

I took it to the dealer last week and they did the injector kill test, said number 4 was getting weak. Also said they replaced it, but I wonder.

Unfortunately, the dealer was closed by the time I picked it up, so now, its still doing the same thing.

It sounds almost like valve noise, what's the possibly at this mileage of a loose rocker arm, burnt valve, spring or something, since I do have the exhaust brake?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 11-17-2007, 08:07 PM
DWK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine as well as many others are making the exact same noise. there has been may ideas passed around how tto fix it. Some say its the clamps holding the injector lines are loose (no fix for me) Some say its in the CP3 timing causing a harmonic issue. (I havent tried to retime the pump yet)
And then some have reported finding their valves way out of adjustment. (next on my list to check)
Most everyone has reported this noise starting around the 20 mile mark. Mine did not start until the 30K mark.
I hoe this helps some. Do a search for ticking
Old 11-17-2007, 08:19 PM

I too have researched these threads, and looked into CP3 lash, injector hold down isolators, and what not. I have had a light ticking since early on, but this is a much deeper sound, akin to slight chugging. I got under my truck when I got home and listened underneath the engine, but on top, that is where the noise seems to be coming from.

I'm taking to the dealer Tuesday.

Have them check valves, rocker arms, injector kill with me there, compression on all cylinders, check for burnt valves, head bolts, flexplate, and torque converter bolts. Hopefully that should cover it.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:15 PM

ShowMe -
Any updates? Dealer have anything to say worth passing?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:29 PM

Well, not as of yet. I had dropped it off around noon last Tuesday. Told them to keep it until they fixed it. Luckily, I have another vehicle to drive in the meantime.

I told them to do a valve adjustment, and to look around while they were doing it. Told them to keep it in the shop overnight so the engine would be cold.

I'm hoping since they didn't call me just yet, that they may have found something. They are always quick to call when it is ready otherwise.

Like I told the service manager, when the engine is cold and you first start it, it sounds normal. But once it warms up, the noise it makes I can only liken to piston slap like I had on a '00 F-150 5.4 that I once owned.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 PM

Believe me, you aren't alone - there are quite a few chasing these symptoms, and the rigs range from stock to mild to wild. Let us know what you find!
Old 11-26-2007, 12:19 PM

Hey guys i have been chasing the problem too. I talked to John @ Floor It and he had me bring my pickup up and then he took it to the dealer he works with in Olathe KS they told him that it was the cam that had went to crap on it. They said the cause was Mobile ONE 5-W30 oil that i was running because it dosen't have detergents in it to deal with the soot in the oil. Warranty will cover it, but im doubtful that it is the oil. Hope the prob is truely fixed as this is the 6th trip to a dealer (1st trip to this one though).
Old 11-26-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by junkyarddog_88
Hey guys i have been chasing the problem too. I talked to John @ Floor It and he had me bring my pickup up and then he took it to the dealer he works with in Olathe KS they told him that it was the cam that had went to crap on it. They said the cause was Mobile ONE 5-W30 oil that i was running because it dosen't have detergents in it to deal with the soot in the oil. Warranty will cover it, but im doubtful that it is the oil. Hope the prob is truely fixed as this is the 6th trip to a dealer (1st trip to this one though).
Are you using Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w30 or Mobil 1 Truck and SUV 5w30 oil? If so neither one is rated to be use in your diesel engine and this could cause internal engine problems. As far as I know the only Mobil 1 oil that is rated for use in your Cummins is their 5w40 Turbo Diesel oil.

The only company that I know about who makes 5w30 oil for use in a heavy duty diesel engine is Amsoil. I have over 10K now on Amsoil 5w30 HDD, its held up very well according to the UOA I did on the oil.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:49 PM

well fellas i'm getting the same noise you guys are hearing and i have swapped out out injectors, so i know its not injectors or fuel line hold downs. i have adjusted my valves and still have the noise. last thing that i have left is the CP3 so dodge is getting it tomorrow to fix it. i have heard that even in changing out CP3's that the noise does not go away so i'm kinda thinking cam could be a cause.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:03 PM

well mine is an 05 and i can tell you that when they changed my cp3 out two week ago (leaking) that the motor seems to run alot quieter there was a certain knock well lets say sound before and now it has dissapeared
Old 11-27-2007, 11:06 AM

Yeah, it wasn't the right oil, and yes i feel like a dumb A$$. But it was covered under warrenty and im going to start using cenex oil like we using in our trucks and other farm equipment. It has seemed to be a really good oil, at least we've had good luck with it. I just thought that i would let people know that the cam could be the problem as mine has been in 2 shops that they couldn't figure the problem out.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Well, I got it back, but still makes the noise.

I wonder what it sounds like if your lift pump is getting weak.

Maybe I have a bad cam. Can't seem to get any dealer to hear it, or diagnose it. Oh well, I'll just run it till it craps out.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 PM

I would start with the #4 injector either do it yourself or find someone else to verify the #4 injector was changed out, you say you have doubt...
also, perhaps an oil analysis is in your very near future due to the loss of coolant and maybe back off on the fuel additive for awhile.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:06 PM

when adjusting our 5.9 cummins (gen 3s) what do u go by for timing marks? is there marks on the flywheel or dampener or do we just go by valve overlap? and what 2 feeler gauges do we need? What manual will tell us all this specs and such?
Old 11-29-2007, 07:43 PM

I had the noise in the 03, but it's gone now....?? I think the ULSD fuel is slowly killing the pump and injectors. Maybe some Bio-diesel run through for a couple of tanks would help??

Quick Reply: Valve noise/rocker noise