2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Undercoating and rustproofing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoating and rustproofing

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at either rustproofing and/or undercoating a new vehicle ( wifey'sHonda CRV) which is closer to the ground than our trucks. I live in an area where a lot of road salt and sand/gravel is used during the winter months.

I would be interested to hear your opinions on both, and why.

My 1986 F250 4x4 was undercoated when purchased but never redone. I did get the panels (doors etc) rustproofed some 18 years ago. To date the only real rust - and it is just starting, is around the wheel arches. This is my winter driving truck

I have a 2002 3500 dually that was undercoated when purchased, but that undercoating has worn away in a lot of places - never properly applied I guess or much too thin a coating. The Dodge only gets used in the summer months (April - November) so I am not too worried about it yet.

Any preference on the tar based or rubber based uncoating ?
Any preference for rustproofing - type or brand.

I have called the locals who do one or the other - and of course, they sell their own products and knock the others and swear theirs is the best thing since sliced bread.

So, in your estimation what would be best and why.

Thanks in advance for any comments - both pro and con!

mariner
Old 11-06-2010, 03:15 PM

We had our new CRV and my truck done when they
were new, by Ziebart, You need to take them back
every year for inspection. No rust.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:58 AM

I personally do not like the Zbart type of undercoating. Unless things have changed. They apply a coating that is rigid and will allow the salt to creap under over time when it begins to delaminate, even if the exterior looks intact.
The cars that I have had with it over time develop rust under the coating. I keep my cars for a very long time...
What I have found works very well is the oil based undercoatings. In my area it is called RustStop. (they are a goopy mess if you have to work on something, but the bolts come off easily!) They are reapplied every year and for me have worked great! (I have them skip treating the underside of the hood, I think that that would be a mess with the way I work on cars)

Obviously this is just 1 persons experience....
Old 11-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Mariner,
I have had great success with two products readily available in Canada: Rust-Check and Krown rustproofing. I would also avoid going with Ziebart, and rather get one of those two other treatments (I prefer Krown myself) from a good shop with good reputation for application. They will drill holes in key areas and shoot the light sticky oil inside cavities and it will creep into every nook and cranny. Ideally, should be reapplied annually, but depending how much snow/salt you get where you live, you could probably get by with application every two years.
Costs between $100-120 per car usually. Well worth it.