2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

tips for frozen windows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tips for frozen windows?

I remeber reading a few tricks type things somewhere,but now i dont remeber.
Now that winter finally showed up here, windows are already freezing up. Ive beat on them so hard its shocking they havent broken in the past.
Anyone have one of those techniques for keeping them freed up?
I once heard vegitable oil coat right on the lip of the glass but who knows.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM

I fixed mine by moving to Texas from PA

Sorry, can't be more help. Am interested though, because occasionally I have had them stuck down here due to crappy weather. That should be a sign that I shouldn't even go to work that day.

~Rob
Old 11-10-2008, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a long time bearer of lousy New England weather, there are two problems that need to be addressed. First the rubber wipers at the base of the window, “cat whiskers”, need to be greased with a product like tire shine. This prevents ice from sticking and allows easy brush-off. Next a product like Rain-X on the glass makes ice and snow removal simple because the ice just will not grip. A quick pass with an ice scraper and you are good to go.

My approach to this problem is to have my significant other start the truck with the heat on after she makes my breakfast. I have instructed her to keep the RPMs at 1200 to prevent the valve stems from sticking. That way by the time I finish my second cup of coffee the windows are clear. She keeps hinting something about women’s lib but I just turn a deaf ear. (I always wondered why she left.)
Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I spray aerosol silicone lube on the door and side window seals every year before the cold sets in. Keeps them from freezing shut.
Great advantage with the stuff is you can be somewhat sloppy as any excess wipes easily away.

Used Rain-X once and will never again, it ate up my wiper blades when I did have to use them leaving black streaks all over the windshield. Might be ok for the side windows though.
Also Rain-X made a terrible glare when ever I got under the orange street lights.
One more also, window repair guy told me they couldn't do chip repair on Rain-Xed windows, repair goop won't stick and the Rain-X is almost impossible to totally remove.
All of my experiences are years old, it's quite possible that the Rain-X formulation has changed now to eliminate these problems.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:54 AM

ill have to try the silicone lube soon. I have a new set of window seals on the way since my outside ones started to rust and crumble, so as soon as the new ones are on, ill give it a try, thanks
Old 11-10-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
walmart sells Prestone spray for de-icing and anti-icing. I stocked up on the stuff in the spring when it was on clearance for $0.50 per bottle. It is available now too, for $4 per bottle. It works well.
I love Rain-X. I tried it once and was not impressed but then later, I was on a NOAA research vessel and noticed a captain's note to apply Rain-X to windows. I was surprised and asked them and they swore by it, saying it was the way to keep windows clear from water and salt overspray in high seas. So I went home and tried it again. It does take a good rubbing with paper towels or rags to get rid of all the haze after it dries out (if you don't it will suck as any direct sun will reduce visibility), but once done, it lasts months and the water just beads off. I hardly ever use wipers anymore.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:31 PM

I cured frozen windows on the mommy van by ading stick on Vent visor.
They must be stick on
I've got the in channel style on the pickup and they make it worse. I take them out for the winter (don't drive around much with the window open).