3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Want to get a camper/shell. Windows or lack of windows and rack on top possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Want to get a camper/shell. Windows or lack of windows and rack on top possible?

I'm tired of people dragging stuff down the side of my truck when they unload stuff at work plus I'd like to keep some stuff in there dry or materials overnight. I'd also like to use it for occasional camping trips.

What I want is no side windows, kayak rack on top (under 200-300lb capacity I'd guess), and some swinging lights inside (I could probably fab those up myself though). Fiberglass construction as well and color matching.

Think the lack of side windows would hamper visability?

Who are some good manufacturers to look at? I don't want to spend a whole lot more than $1000.

Thanks in adavance!
Old 11-14-2010, 06:28 AM

I have a cap on my truck and I cannot see anything out of the side windows on it. I've seen a couple caps with no windows and, to me, they really don't look good. If it were me, and you don't want anybody to see what you have back there, I would just cover up the glass from the inside. If you do this on the rear window then you will only have your side mirrors to go by. If you don't do this on the rear window then people will still be able to see inside so it would be a waste of time to worry about the side windows. Maybe just get some super dark limo tint on all the windows....

You can get a rack on top but you may have to buy it that way new. I thought about putting one on mine but I was told it has to come from the factory that way. Mine's a high topper so it would be only for looks anyways.

Old 11-14-2010, 07:40 AM

That's a nice rare color combo on your truck.

The reason I don't want side windows is like you say you can't see out of them anyway (ie: little car ridding next to you), it's just something extra to break, I think it looks sleeker without them, and if I back up against the wall in my parking garage I can leave whatever I want in there at night and it won't be stolen.

Looking last night and I found this 100rcc:
http://www.leer.com/Commercial-Caps#

Those side doors are optional and I don't want them because I'm tired of people slidding stuff down the side of my truck. I like the rack too, it doesn't look too cheesey.

I'm going to see if I can order it with a removable front window, frameless rear window, and delete the emblems and 3rd brake light.

Gotta price it out now.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 AM

I have the Leaky Leer 100xl with a Thule quick install tracker foot rack,which I think is good for 175-200 lbs.I would not recommend this canopy in a wet climate,all my windows leak somewhat and there are other posts about this as well.By putting a 4x8 sheet of wood down in the bed,it acts as a raft and keeps most things dry.For what was supposed to be a top of the line canopy it was very dissapointing.When you try to contact Leer you get told to contact your local dealer,which of course I did,they removed one window ,replaced the foam tape,re-installed it ,stripped all the screws with their huge 18volt Dewalt drill,and the window leaked worse,so I had them install a new window which still leaks,so then I just gave up and bought the raft.In hindsight I should have demanded my money back.I know there are other models of Leer that do not leak so it is just the windows themselves that are or perhaps were crap on the 100xl model.My windows are the slider ones.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:34 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Leer too. And fortunately I haven't had to put a "raft" in yet. My truck and camper shell are white and sometimes I feel like I'm driving around in a big loaf of white bread. Visibility out the side windows is limited, but every bit helps, especially when turning left into lanes of traffic.

I got the openable side windows and love them! I actually open them more than the rear glass to get stuff out and they have saved me many trips crawling in to get things from up in the front of the bed. Seriously, they are the way to go. And if you want privacy just add some curtains or foil tape on the windows.

I do feel that the Leer is very thin and not really up to carrying much weight on top. I got the factory rails and will carry some light stuff, but that's it. On my other truck I had a Century and it was bomb proof. I built a rack for it and carried all sorts of stuff and never had a problem.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had a leer and now an A.R.E. The A.R.E are nice units! My truck would be useless without the shell as we camp/sleep in the back all summer and leave the dogs in there during the day with the side windows open. I welded up a lumber rack that goes under/around the canopy so i can carry up to 14 whitewater kayaks and some mountain bikes at the same time...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:34 PM

I'm also looking at the ARE Z series now and when I did the build your own thing on their site it allows for the deletion of the side windows and optional top rack.

The rear window on this one is also frameless curved glass.

I don't want the side windows because I know for a fact they will get broken into and leak.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:36 PM

http://fleetwest.net/go.html?gclid=C...FRtqgwodlRYNGg
Here are some work truck type canopies.You can find lots on the net and I am sure they are pricey,but if you really want a bomb proof work one it will be pricey.You will need to find a place near you to check them out and get prices ,but as you can see they look better for work than recreational ones.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by KWKING
http://fleetwest.net/go.html?gclid=C...FRtqgwodlRYNGg
Here are some work truck type canopies.You can find lots on the net and I am sure they are pricey,but if you really want a bomb proof work one it will be pricey.You will need to find a place near you to check them out and get prices ,but as you can see they look better for work than recreational ones.
Wow that's the real deal. Realer than what I need but nice.

I'd just want some storage space incase I bring something home expensive from work, I can just back it up against a wall in my parking garage and they'd have a hard time getting whatever out.

I'd also like a rack so I can throw a couple ladders up there on occasion, nothing heavy. Maybe a rack up there for camping trips if I'm already loaded.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:05 PM

Check out ARE - http://www.4are.com/ and look at the cx or mx option for the full opening for the rear. My brother bought one, cab high, fiberglass, (he got the windows version) but has a full opening in the rear. The tailgate is removed for the full door option. You can open the swing door, or open the entire rear end for max loading room. He basically designed his on the webpage to show the dealer what he wanted and what options.

If I seen this before I bought mine, I'd travel that route. Clean design.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:29 PM

I have an ARE shell. I have black fabric from a fabric store, with velcro around the edges that I use as privacy screening for the shell windows. With my tinted cab windows letting in a minimal amount of light, and the privacy screens in place, it's difficult to get a look-see at what I'm hauling in the bed, even if you walked up to the hatch. Sure, if you look long enough you can make out whats back there. But for the casual, opportunistic criminal, it drastically reduces his ability to get a look-see.