2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rock Damage to Condenser

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 06:50 PM
Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Damage to Condenser

Have any of you all come across any type of cover that can be used to protect the lower unprotected portion of the grill area, next to the fog lights, on 2002 Dodge diesels? I live in Houston where the roads and freeways have all kinds of debris on them. Won't be long and I will have a hole punched in the condenser or the cooler if I don't find a suitable cover. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Rock Damage to Condenser

you might try using expanded metal or some heavy duty wire mesh. Just you gotta let some are in there. Thats the only ideas i could come up with hope they help.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could use the same idea used to keep bugs out of the radiator.<br><br>Get some metal screen material from Home Depot (or other home improvement store) and fab some way to put it in there half inch or so in front of the cooler.<br><br><br>phox
Old 10-23-2002, 09:22 PM

You might want to take a look at this site. I think this is the way I'm goint to go. I agree that the exposed condenser behind the bumper is just waiting for a rock!
Old 10-23-2002, 09:31 PM

I used some heavy stainless steel mesh and made some brackets out of angle iron (think it was an old bed frame). I then mounted the screen to the brackets and mounted the brackets with stainless bolts and nuts to the heavy black plastic that wraps around the bumper from the inside so every thing is hidden and all you see is the mesh through the bumper opening. I also put this mesh on the inside of the hood's grill. Took me about a month to finally put this on and in that time took alot of dings in the condenser and air to air. Since I've put it on, I've had no problems and it looks quite nice. Wish I had a digital camera, I'd take a shot for you so you could see, but I hope this description helps you out.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site Tom,<br> I was looking at THESE. <br> I haven't found too many places that carry stuff for the SPORT models 99-02, but they have some. Kinda pricey, but they look nice! ;D
Old 10-24-2002, 07:23 PM
Tom

Hey, thanks to all you guys who gave me some direction and ideas to go on with this thing. After looking on the net at some commercial applications, I called a couple of the manafacturers. But, after they told me that they were not sure if their bumper screens would fit up to my 02, I decided to take the advice that a couple of you gave and fabricate some screens myself. It is hard to believe that the bumper screens that fit an 01 RAM 2500 will not fit the 02. I thought the lower bumper openings were the same size on each one. Thanks again for your help.