Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Rock Damage to Condenser (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/rock-damage-condenser-19322/)

Tom 10-23-2002 06:50 PM

Rock Damage to Condenser

Have any of you all come across any type of cover that can be used to protect the lower unprotected portion of the grill area, next to the fog lights, on 2002 Dodge diesels? I live in Houston where the roads and freeways have all kinds of debris on them. Won't be long and I will have a hole punched in the condenser or the cooler if I don't find a suitable cover. Thanks for your help.

rich 10-23-2002 08:54 PM

Re:Rock Damage to Condenser

you might try using expanded metal or some heavy duty wire mesh. Just you gotta let some are in there. Thats the only ideas i could come up with hope they help.

phox_mulder 10-23-2002 09:01 PM

Could use the same idea used to keep bugs out of the radiator.<br><br>Get some metal screen material from Home Depot (or other home improvement store) and fab some way to put it in there half inch or so in front of the cooler.<br><br><br>phox

rattle_rattle 10-23-2002 09:22 PM

You might want to take a look at this site. I think this is the way I'm goint to go. I agree that the exposed condenser behind the bumper is just waiting for a rock!

SirLAL 10-23-2002 09:31 PM

I used some heavy stainless steel mesh and made some brackets out of angle iron (think it was an old bed frame). I then mounted the screen to the brackets and mounted the brackets with stainless bolts and nuts to the heavy black plastic that wraps around the bumper from the inside so every thing is hidden and all you see is the mesh through the bumper opening. I also put this mesh on the inside of the hood's grill. Took me about a month to finally put this on and in that time took alot of dings in the condenser and air to air. Since I've put it on, I've had no problems and it looks quite nice. Wish I had a digital camera, I'd take a shot for you so you could see, but I hope this description helps you out.

RATTLINRAM 10-23-2002 09:40 PM

Welcome to the site Tom,<br> I was looking at THESE. <br> I haven't found too many places that carry stuff for the SPORT models 99-02, but they have some. Kinda pricey, but they look nice! ;D

Tom 10-24-2002 07:23 PM

Hey, thanks to all you guys who gave me some direction and ideas to go on with this thing. After looking on the net at some commercial applications, I called a couple of the manafacturers. But, after they told me that they were not sure if their bumper screens would fit up to my 02, I decided to take the advice that a couple of you gave and fabricate some screens myself. It is hard to believe that the bumper screens that fit an 01 RAM 2500 will not fit the 02. I thought the lower bumper openings were the same size on each one. Thanks again for your help.

10-25-2002 12:38 AM

Tom,<br><br>I checked with the parts guy at my local dealer and was told that the shiny (non sport type) front bumpers are the same on the '98 to '02 2500 &amp; 3500 series trucks.<br><br>I believe that Lund makes just what you are looking for, they even have openings for the fog lights if you have them as well as complete covers if you don't have fog lights.<br><br>Joe