2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Optima Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima Batteries

I have looked for new batteries I believe the factory ones are getting a little low. They are 3 years old and probably need to be replaced. Anyway I have looked at the Red Top batteries, starting batteries, and I am impressed. I know of guys with yelllow tops for their stereo systems. I want to know if any of you guys have had good success with these batteries or not. In the winter time you know we need a good battery source and I am thinking the Red Top might do it. Thanks Aaron
Old 08-19-2004, 10:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought about them myself as I have heard good things about them, but when I looked at the reserve I found that they do not offer as much reserve as stock batteries. I ended up going with Champions from Sam's Club because they fit or exceeded the specs.
I don't know how much difference the reserve makes, but I erred on the side of caution since I don't know.

Chris
Old 08-20-2004, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Reserve is very important if you have a hard start situation, or forget to turn some electrical device off like interior lights, etc.
Old 08-20-2004, 04:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Redtop Optimas are the only battery I use anymore, at last count I'm running over twenty of them. My main reason for using them is that they are vibration proof, 100% maintenance and corrosion free. Never a problem starting in the Montana winter, if they'll do that they'll do it anywhere. I have a pair in a JD tractor that are going on their eleventh year. Friend of mine has a redtop in his portable welder that was dropped several years ago and is missing the bottom half of it's case, still works just fine.

They may cost more in the beginning but pay in the end.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I'm also using a single red top in my ram. Has been working flawlessly through the last two winters. The lower reserve capacity isn't of too much concern to me since I regularly check for having the lights etc off when leaving the truck.

AlpineRAM
Old 08-20-2004, 02:46 PM

we started using red tops in our cats when i was a logging mechanic. 2 of those relaced the big 4-d's or pony motor in them old d-8 46-a's for winter after winter. if youve ever stated on of those in the winter you wont worry about reserve power in your pick up!
Old 08-20-2004, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, this sealed it for me. Optimas are the way to go. Dual red tops.
Now...who's got the best deal??

Doug
Old 08-20-2004, 06:30 PM

Hard to beat the dealers on ebay, just watch what they want for shipping. I've seen brand new ones there go for under $50
http://search.ebay.com/optima-red-to...1QQsonewuserZ1
Old 08-20-2004, 08:18 PM

Guys thanks alot for the info. I believe I am gonna go with them as well as you all. There is a Interstate Battery Distributor in Houston and I am gonna check the prices with them. I believe they are going for $75 buy it now on ebay, and most Sams or Costco are like 100-115. So I will check in to it and report the best price I can find. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:12 PM

Sears are supposed to have them on sale next month, I am looking at them also. I have a yellow top that just will not die on the farm I used to own and now it runs my fifth wheel, my question is why red and not the yellow. I do not know much about them. The one I have was given to me years ago from my neighbor to use on the elect. fence we shared between us. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 08-21-2004, 01:17 AM

If I'm not mistaken a deep cycle battery like a yellow top does better if the charge is drawn way down frequently. Not something I'd really want to do with an automotive battery if I wanted to get rolling again.

There was a fellow on TDR a few years back who worked for Interstate that said they had at least five times more warranty returns on yellow tops as compared to the reds. Don't know if was due to the battery itself or the conditions it was used in.
Old 08-21-2004, 08:17 AM

Well that explains why this one has lasted so long, we used it on temporary elect fences and I am thinking it is 7 to 8 years old and still works and was severly abused and one time it set dead for months and still works today, that is what go me thinking about putting them in my truck. I will go with the reds. I found thier web site last night and did some reading. Thanks Bill,,,, Goodluck,,Rick
Old 08-21-2004, 09:54 AM

might want to check out the D31 size one..almost an exact factory size for size fit and more amps for just a few more $$
Old 08-24-2004, 10:34 PM

Costco has them at a pretty good price around here.

Doug
Old 10-12-2005, 01:42 PM

Question

hey guys. i'm confused. sounds like evryone loves these optimas, but this is what i got from the optima website:

"Please enter the following information about your car,
and find which OPTIMA is right for you.
There are no matches available for this vehicle.

DODGE Pickup Trucks, Vans, Minivans or Sport Utilities
Ram Pickup (1500-3500)
2001-1994 L6 5.9L; Diesel"

what's up with that?

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries