2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

K&N Air Filters No Good???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't run a K&N on my truck, but I have on just about every other vehicle I've owned with no problems whatsoever. I do run an S&B intake on my truck though, same basic oiled filter, and it has been working great, I don't put near the amount of miles on my rig as you guys do, probably only a couple thousand since I put the S&B intake on.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:27 PM

can someone enlighten me on something ,i use my trucks for very dusty work,, haulin hay bales and 18 miles of travel everyday on dusty gravel road,,,,have a KN filter on this and need to know maintainence on it,,,yu know like when to clean and also where to get oil or whatever is needed,,,,thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by soupdog06
can someone enlighten me on something ,i use my trucks for very dusty work,, haulin hay bales and 18 miles of travel everyday on dusty gravel road,,,,have a KN filter on this and need to know maintainence on it,,,yu know like when to clean and also where to get oil or whatever is needed,,,,thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------
soupdog06:

Let me see if I can help you here.

I probably don't clean my "K&N Filters" exactly as they say, but IMO, it has always worked good for me to avoid the "excess oil" some Members/Owners say they see in the air inlets to the turbo and on the compressor wheels.
You can buy the "K&N Filter Cleaning Kits" at any "Advanced Auto", "Auto Zone" or major auto parts stores. They are sometimes marked "K&N Recharge
Kits." The kits contain one (1) can of "K&N Filter Cleaner" and one (1) can of "K&N Filter Oil." To keep DTR Member Mr. Suplanski happy, the "prices on the kits vary from store to store" but are not free.

Here is how I do mine:

1.) Remove the "K&N Filter" from the truck.

2.) Knock off or remove any large excessive dirt particles (leaves, pine straw etc.) or bugs that you see on the filter or between the pleats. Do not blow them out with air though!

3.) Take the "K&N Filter Cleaner" and spray it completely onto all the pleats.

4.) Let the filter and "K&N Filter Cleaner" sit for approximately fifteen (15) minutes.

5.) Next, use your garden hose and thoroughly spray ALL the filter pleats from top to bottom BUT BY SPRAYING FROM THE INSIDE OF THE FILTER TO THE OUTSIDE.

6.) After this, I lay my filter on a towel and let it DRY THOROUGHLY in the sun. I ALWAYS let the filter COMPLETELY DRY and I can tell you that it usually takes about a day for it to dry completely. DO NOT re-oil the filter when it is wet or damp.

7.) Once the filter is COMPLETELY DRY, use the "K&N Filter Oil" and LIGHTLY spray the oil from top to bottom down each pleat until ALL PLEATS have the distinctive "K&N RED COLOR" to them. (IMHO, this is where ALOT of mistakes are made on these filters!)

8.) I then lay the filter on a towel in the sun and let the oil dry some.

9.) Lastly, after you feel the oil has dried some, I take a towel and "pat down" any excess oil that may be laying on the top of the pleats.

10.) Re-install the filter into your truck.

As I said, this is not exactly as is recommended by K&N as per their directions, but it has always worked well for me.

Good luck Sir!

---------
John_P
Old 02-09-2009, 10:04 PM

That would be a costly mistake, and theirs a charge kit for those!
Old 02-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by J.Suplanski
That would be a costly mistake, and theirs a charge kit for those!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Sir:

I am assuming you are referring to my post above right? If your statement of "that would be a costly mistake" refers to "my method" of cleaning the filters, then any Member here can follow the instructions "to the letter as per K&N recommendations." One last thing for the record,......nowhere in my post did I say or imply that the "K&N Cleaning Kits" were free or did I miss something there?? But to keep you happy, I went back and added that for you!

And as far as whether "my method being a costly mistake",......sorry, but I don't agree with you there Sir! I have done it that way for over 300,000 miles and have NEVER had any engine problems, and that is "backed-up" by regular oil anaysis's of my oil at the peak mileage/change interval. You can go back and read my other posts on that issue.

--------
John_P
Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Or you could follow K&N's instructions http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

One thing that can't be overemphasized is to run a bead of grease around the clean side of the filter's outer seal.
Even the stock paper filter can leak around the edge if you don't.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by infidel
Or you could follow K&N's instructions http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

One thing that can't be overemphasized is to run a bead of grease around the clean side of the filter's outer seal.
Even the stock paper filter can leak around the edge if you don't.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill, your right, and I forgot to add that to my list. Thanks buddy!
Old 02-10-2009, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the opinions.

Wow! I had no idea this would get so heated. Sorry to stir things up. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I have noticed a small amount of dirty residue on the turbo housing from time to time. I thought that might be "normal" with the amount of air a diesel consumes and the fact that I only look under the filter every 10,000 miles or so. Sounds like I need a different filter as this one is letting debris get by. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

It's the "air filter argument". The only other subjects that generate as much huffing 'n' puffing and "Sir! I call you out, sir!" are motor oil and oil filters. Usually because nearly everybody has a little experience with such things - and therefore has an opinion - while comparatively few people have experience with, say, head work or clutches.

Sounds like you're going with a solution based on what you've seen on your own truck. You can't beat that decision.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Gear Poet
It's the "air filter argument". The only other subjects that generate as much huffing 'n' puffing and "Sir! I call you out, sir!" are motor oil and oil filters. Usually because nearly everybody has a little experience with such things - and therefore has an opinion - while comparatively few people have experience with, say, head work or clutches.

Sounds like you're going with a solution based on what you've seen on your own truck. You can't beat that decision.
Excellent observation.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gear Poet:

Just curious, who are you specifically "calling out" here??
Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by John_P
Gear Poet:Just curious, who are you specifically "calling out" here??
Who am I calling out? No one; read the second sentence again. From time to time I see threads (especially filter and oil threads) where people react with a "pistols at twenty paces" attitude. As the OP pointed out, this seems to be one of them.

Wogdon & Barton flintlocks at twenty paces, anyone?
Old 02-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Who am I calling out? No one; read the second sentence again. From time to time I see threads (especially filter and oil threads) where people react with a "pistols at twenty paces" attitude. As the OP pointed out, this seems to be one of them.

Wogdon & Barton flintlocks at twenty paces, anyone?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
O.K.,....fair enough.

You are right, many of these subjects DO cause the "pistols at twenty paces"
attitude here. BTW,......Good analogy! I would add automatic transmission threads to your list too. My only problem on some of these threads Gear Poet, is if you (as a Member) come in to help/or post to another Member about a subject all Members should respect others opinions and input.
If I take time to try and help another Member, personally I don't appreciate (as I am sure you don't) another Member giving a "single statement zinger refuting or arguing" on something I have posted, especially when I have clearly "done the research or have the experience" with that product. If I don't have that experience or dealings with a product I don't post on it.
And if I see a statement that IS directed at me, or I think it is directed at me, then yes, I will probably post back to that Member. I realize that not all products work well for everyone, and the K&N Filters fit that category.

Thanks for your reply.

---------
John_P