2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Inverted y to T steering linkage

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone that converted to the T steering have the new Tie Rods rubbing against the wheel/rim?

I have talked to someone who tried to convert to T setup on a 2001 and the Moog bars were so big they rubbed on the wheels and would not fit without grinding the rod to fit.

I have stock dually 16 in rims with 225/85R16 wheels on my 97 dually and I don't want to buy the Moog parts and have then hit the wheels.

Any comments guys?

Edit: I ordered the 3rd gen track bar bushings from www.sourceautomotive.biz today to fix my loose track bar.

Thanks,
dave
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what I have heard and been told stockers will rub. just not sure on the exact years of rubbing mine does not due to aftermarket wheels. need to find out the offset on pre 98 and 2000-2002 stock wheels. its not just moog parts that will rub any brand that is replacing those parts will rub. anyone know if the offset on these stock wheels are diff. pre 97 and 00-02
Old 09-11-2009, 08:18 PM

I have stock wheels,265-75-R16, 2001.5,and yes they just touched the rim, just barely made a groove around the rim,very,very fine groove,course after a couple turns of the wheels, they dont rub no more,just a noticable groove,doesnt hurt nuthin, in fact after the fronts got thier groove I swapped wheels with the back ones and put the groove in them also,now they all match.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Dave Miller
Anyone that converted to the T steering have the new Tie Rods rubbing against the wheel/rim?

I have talked to someone who tried to convert to T setup on a 2001 and the Moog bars were so big they rubbed on the wheels and would not fit without grinding the rod to fit.

I have stock dually 16 in rims with 225/85R16 wheels on my 97 dually and I don't want to buy the Moog parts and have then hit the wheels.

Any comments guys?

Edit: I ordered the 3rd gen track bar bushings from www.sourceautomotive.biz today to fix my loose track bar.

Thanks,
dave

My tires are just a hair smaller then yours-215-85 16. There is atleast an inch or better to the lip of the rim, you should be ok
Attached Thumbnails Inverted y to T steering linkage-dsc00297.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks to all for posting about this wheel rub question. Thanks biodidge1 for the measurement and pic. That looks promising for comparing my 97 3500 with your 98.5 3500. I don't mind a little rub as was described earlier but I'd don't want to grind the tie rods too much to fit my stock wheels.

I had talked to Rip at Source automotive about the Moog T conversion when I ordered my new bushings for the 3rd gen track bar. He had a customer who wanted him to convert his truck (a 2001 or 2002) to the T setup using Moog parts.

Those wheels rubbed on the Moog bars even with the wheels straight ahead. Rip said the Moog parts were way bigger than the stock parts (By the way..which everyone here has been saying all along) and would have required grinding alot to fit so he didn't do it. I believe I'd run into the same rub issue with any cross-over setup.

Rip said I could order the stock 98-99 dealer parts (and probably pay waaay more) and they would probably fit. That means the stock 98-99 dealer parts are probably smaller than the Moog parts. That is what I found when I looked at my buddies stock 99. The stock 99 3500 (T setup) looked like the bars were no bigger than my stock 97 3500 (Y setup).

I'd go with after market rims to avoid the rub but I want the dually rims. I don't want different rims on front and rear and I don't want to pay alot for rims. I'm still undecided on the T conversion for my 97 dually.

Thanks all for the replies.
Dave

I'd like to convert to T setup but not sure due to wheel rub issues.....still thinking about it.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 PM

If possible, maybe he can give you the diamater of the bar/ and the tierod end-then we would know how much clearence you would have. At this piont, we know there is an inch to play with. I assume mine is the factory size, but with luck it may have been changed to moog parts(previous owner). If that was the case-youd be golden on the upgrade!
Old 09-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by biododge1
If possible, maybe he can give you the diamater of the bar/ and the tierod end-then we would know how much clearence you would have. At this piont, we know there is an inch to play with. I assume mine is the factory size, but with luck it may have been changed to moog parts(previous owner). If that was the case-youd be golden on the upgrade!
I don't think I'd be able to talk Rip now until Monday and that truck is probably loog gone by now. I dought he has the truck and bars to measue and it would be going by what he remembers. I was wondering it your 98.5 knuckle is the same as my 97 knuckle. If they moved that arm in the knuckle in a little it would help the rub.

Here is another cross-over setup I've been considering. It's $499 for the cheapest setup for the 94-06 Dodge 3/4 -1 ton PN SS9406D60. I need to talk to them and see if it will work on a stock truck and if wheel rub is an issue. Also I may have issues with the 3rd gen track bar and DSS under the sway bar.

http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/d...ngoptions.html

Still, the 98-99 T setup is about $350 compared to $500 for the Bullet Proof Steering setup.

Thanks,
dave
Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM

I'll go out in a bit and take a few mesurments that you can compare to. I do think the axle components are the same on our trucks( minus the T vs y bars)
Old 09-14-2009, 10:09 PM

Theres no pics of the bullitproof steering on that site,anyone got pics of it.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
Theres no pics of the bullitproof steering on that site,anyone got pics of it.
When you enter the main page you need to click on the pic of the of the Bronco below the bumper where it says "Click Here To Enter the Site" as shown in one of the pics I have included in case you missed that Here:

http://bulletproofsteering.com/

Here's some pics:

http://www.bulletproofsteering.com/steeringsystems.html

http://bulletproofsteering.com/news/photos.html

I did not see pics of a Dodge but here is the link to pricing for Dodge Rams:

http://bulletproofsteering.com/dodgepricingoptions.html

Note: Double Click your mouse on the pics to enlarge them...in case you didn't know that.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Inverted y to T steering linkage-bullet-proofpic-1.gif   Inverted y to T steering linkage-img69.gif   Inverted y to T steering linkage-img70.gif   Inverted y to T steering linkage-img6jpeg.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Installed Finally

T-steering set up and dt pro-fabs adj trac bar. parts were from napa.
Attached Thumbnails Inverted y to T steering linkage-t-steering-001.jpg   Inverted y to T steering linkage-t-steering-002.jpg   Inverted y to T steering linkage-t-steering-003.jpg   Inverted y to T steering linkage-t-steering-004.jpg  
Old 09-17-2009, 12:03 PM

Thumbs up Good job

Good job. You'll like the new setup. Now all you have to do is figure out the steering damper. When I converted mine earlier this year, I went without the damper for about a month until I got off my @ss and installed it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...teering+damper
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
seen someplace that around 1998,and 97 and or 99 Dodge put a T steering linkage on some trucks,suposedly Heavy Duty,before and after those years they used a inverted Y steering linkage,now I see Dodge is supplying the HD T to be put on the 3rd gen trucks, question is-does someone know if the T linkage will fit on a 2001.5-2500-4x4,and if so,what are the part numbers.
look at my write up on this with part numbers and pics with a adjustable trac bar search this topic on thread Inverted y to T steering linkage.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 PM

To those who have done this. I am thinking of doing this upgrage to my 96. I had once herd that the tie rod can can hit the diff cover with this setup. Any truth to this? If not how close is it to the diff cover once relocated? I need to change my tie rods soon and want to know if I should just buy new stock stuff or go inverted T. Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 08:07 PM

I did this on my 96 and it does not hit at all. You can't use the stock steering stabilizer strut, but I just left mine off. No real difference for me since the old one was broken anyway.

I like the inverted T setup, but if you have other steering issues it won't solve those (like me). The tie rods are about 2 times the diameter.

Joel

Quick Reply: Inverted y to T steering linkage