2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Inverted y to T steering linkage

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody running this setup with stock 3rd gen wheels? Just want to make sure everything will clear fine
Old 08-27-2009, 08:17 PM

Lots of interest on the subject,now has anyone with the T linkage ever have the Death Wobble?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM

Does this seen like a good price for the front end pieces? And will this work on my 1997 2500 diesel? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Mikek13; 08-29-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: adding
Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

I "read" that the taper where the drag link connects to the pitman arm may be different on some years. This was on a thread with pics & many pages. From what Dieselwrks said, it looks like the threaded part of the drag link interchanges so you just use your current part from the upper end of the drag link. Can someone confirm?
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 AM

Mikek13-if you get this setup off ebay,let us know how it looks,sure is cheap enough,everyplace else is over $300.00, only thing that aint included is the adjusting sleeve for the tie rod between the wheels, which is ES3498S,one would have to buy this sleeve seperate as my understanding is that you cant use this sleeve from you old Y linkage as it is too small, the adjusting sleeve on the drag link however wll fit from your old setup, which is ES2012S-sleeve which is also not included in the kit. Got the above info from Dodge dealer,by the way their price for the above with the adjusting sleeve for the long tie rod was over $600.00, wonder if its better quality that after market parts,kinda doubt it.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:56 PM

my 2 places will be either www.rockauto.com the prices are not bad. or I go to napa and get the napa line (moog) that have life time warranty. and its down the street. probley will go local no shipping or no warranty issues other than just down the street. I will post pics when I do this as well as post pics of the dt pro fab adj trac-bar when I get this in. (I havent heard of any death wobble with this steering version) but there is more to the death wobble than just these parts. on my 02 I have aftermarket 17 rims I dont think they will have a problem with clearance.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 AM

Update-Ordered the Heavy Duty T linkage from Spicer today,yesterday I put a floor jack under the frame in front,and stretched a tape accross the front of the tires,then started to jack the frame up,as soon as the body went up 1/2 inch the tires started to toe in,I jacked it 2-1/4 inches and the tires were then 1/4 + in. toed in,no wonder the inside edge of the tires wear,and probably the cause of the DW,theres no way in the world that the alignment can stay constant,everytime the wheels hit a bump or hole it changes the toe in,also if one puts a litlle weight in the box,the back end goes down and the front end lifts, thus throwing the alignment out of whack, proven by how it acts when I lifted the front end up with a jack. Heavy engine with a Mickey Mouse steering linkage, great ideas from Dodge!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge Demon
Mikek13-if you get this setup off ebay,let us know how it looks,sure is cheap enough,everyplace else is over $300.00, only thing that aint included is the adjusting sleeve for the tie rod between the wheels, which is ES3498S,one would have to buy this sleeve seperate as my understanding is that you cant use this sleeve from you old Y linkage as it is too small, the adjusting sleeve on the drag link however wll fit from your old setup, which is ES2012S-sleeve which is also not included in the kit. Got the above info from Dodge dealer,by the way their price for the above with the adjusting sleeve for the long tie rod was over $600.00, wonder if its better quality that after market parts,kinda doubt it.
I'll let you know when I get it. Free shipping. I'll get the sleeves from NAPA probably. I have scalloping on the inner edge of the right front tire also. So I'm going to change front shocks too.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:49 PM

ditto

I will post pics of mine I did mine from napa thought they were moog but life time spicer pricey but hopefully the last time. doing this and doing traction bars and dt pro-fab trac bar. post when All is done.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:15 PM

My parts are supposed to come today or tomorrow, I hope it helps.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys are making me consider again doing the T upgrade on my 97.

I looked at my buddies stock 99 and his steering does not look as beefy as show in the Ram Mod pics in beginning of this thread. It attaches different at drivers end than mine and looks like the T setup but parts don't look much thicker than my stock 97 3500. Has me puzzled?

I want to be sure I get the thicker bars with this mod.

I have also considered the Cross-over steering like Thuren has here:

http://www.thurenfabrication.com/crossover.html

Those bars look very thick but the knuckles need drilled to 3/4 inch and it may not work with stock rims according to the web site.

Still deciding which way to go.

Dave
Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 PM

Put the T steering linkage on today,also put new shocks on,took it out for 10 miles,different truck, none of my tie rods had any wear in them,shocks were little spongy,total miles on original parts was 200,000, didnt put the steering shock back on,didnt have the clamps that goes on the tie rod,old one had a hole in the tie rod for the shock,didnt see any advantage for it,we will see after I drive it for awhile,might get some clamps and put it on but i doubt it,truck never felt so solid even when it was brand new,2001.5.

DSS steering bracket
DSS Steel track bar
DSS Steel adjustable control links
Spicer T linkage steering system
Adjust a gas shocks.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the T conversion a good upgrade for my 97 3500 4x4? I notice most posts on this T conversion are for 2500 trucks. Anyone out there do this on a 97 4x4 3500 and are the parts the same?

The tie rods on my friends 99 3500 4x4 do not look any bigger than my 97 but the geometry is definitely T on his 99 and Y on my 97. Will my pitman arm fit on this setup? I have a DSS and 3rd gen Adj TB right now and I have had death wobble this week even after replacing my LH outer tie rod end.

I still need to check for loose tie rods and my front tires are wearing but I am tired of this crappy front end.

I'm ready to order 99 T parts if it will work on my 97 3500.

Thanks guys,
Dave
Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Dave, bolted right up to my 97......... The only thing I saw was the link from the Pittman arm to the tie rod end was almost too long to get my steering wheel centered, we had almost butted up when she was straight. If there had been a problem, I could have easily cut 1/8" or so off....
Old 09-07-2009, 04:11 PM

I had to cut off a bit,maybe needed 1/4 in,sliced of a 1/2 in. I did put the steering shock back on,made a clamp to go around the tie rod,bolted it on,went for a drive, went over the same hole that made the DW everytime before,this time went right on thru,no problem. 2001.5

Quick Reply: Inverted y to T steering linkage