2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

intermediate steering shaft problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
intermediate steering shaft problems

I've just worn out my third intermediate steering shaft in 26K miles. All stock from Dodge. Can find no issues that might contribute to this, and neither can the dealer. I know it's a weak part to begin with. I drive a lot of potholed dirt roads, so that contributes.

Has anyone got a solution? Anyone tried the Borgsen (??) replacement unit? Or any other?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
A lot of 1st gen guys are running Borgeson shafts with good results.
Old 07-26-2004, 04:40 PM

How can you tell the intermediate steering shaft is bad? I had mine replaced at 20k miles by the dealer. Now at 50k I'm having a "clunk" in the steering again.
Old 07-26-2004, 06:44 PM

I also have a clunk in steering, I think that is where it is. How can you tell that this is the problem?
Thanks, dave
Old 07-27-2004, 03:51 AM

There's a slip yoke in the middle of the intermediate shaft. Reach in, grasp the shaft near the slip yoke, and try to move it up and down -- not along the axis of the shaft, but away from it. If the shaft deflects more than 1/8 inch at the yoke or the U joints or rag joint, the shaft needs to be replaced.

Problem is, the stock shafts are so poorly built, even the new ones have a large amount of play. I just put a Borgeson unit on mine. A lot of money, but it made a difference.

Grease the slip yoke before you put any replacement on. It helps.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Gear Poet
I just put a Borgeson unit on mine. A lot of money, but it made a difference.

Grease the slip yoke before you put any replacement on. It helps.
So the Borgeson was not too hard to install? I read a post a while back and he had big problems and was not happy with the product.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 07-27-2004, 12:39 PM

Is this just an annoyance or is this play effecting the steering?

The reason I ask, I put big vice grips on either side of the rag joint on my truck and I could not detect any play in the steering.

Also, a worn track bar is notorius for causing the clunk felt throught the floor board, steering wheel and pedals.
Old 07-27-2004, 04:26 PM

My truck was back to the dealer twice for the clunk. Once the track bar was replaced. Second time they replaced the intermediate steering shaft. Both times the truck was perfect when I got it back. Now 30k miles later the clunk is back. It drives fine. I just want to fix it before it developes into the "death wobble".
Old 07-27-2004, 11:18 PM

I think mine is worn too. It is real sloppy and also has the front end clunk. All new front end stuff, except this piece. I also tightened up the steering box, and still has that clunk. I guess this is next, but it looks like a real bear to change out.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:26 AM

The Borgeson unit was easier to install than the replacements I bought from DC. The slip yoke and shaft are far heavier and tighter than stock, and there's no rag joint. The U-joints are of a much higher quality. We'll see if it's durable, but it looks like it should be.

Yes it made a big difference for me in handling and steering. And my truck has quad shocks, dual steering stabilizers, Darin Tessier's steering box stabilizer, and a 2004 track bar modified with a bracket to fit. It was sort of the last stock part I had to replace -- but it's not going to fix a bad track bar, etc., I agree. There are a number of weak points on the front end of a Dodge truck; the ISS is one of them.
Old 07-31-2004, 02:41 PM

Ive been happy with my borgeson...completely got rid of the clunk and trightened up the steering significantly. But now my steering column itself is clunk/rattling...they're known for going out on dodges also, but theres no aftermarket fix for them
Old 07-31-2004, 10:16 PM

Intermediate shaft fix!
Jeep CJ's use the same design shaft, they have a hole drilled thru 1 side with plastic poured in to keep it from rattling.

I just drill a small 1/8 hole thru both sides and screw a small sheet metal screw in both sides then slide the rubber boot to cover them. This keeps the shaft from rattling and will still collapse in an accident.