2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

idlin your truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
From the sounds of it, the PTO wire is just used to fool the ECM into thinking nothin is goin on while you idle up. It just prevents a DTC. If someone figures out wether that PTO wire needs a gnd, 5v signal, 12v+ or what, they might be onto somethin, using the APPS h.i. mod, or a hand throttle
What is that?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick02Ram
From the sounds of it, the PTO wire is just used to fool the ECM into thinking nothin is goin on while you idle up. It just prevents a DTC. If someone figures out wether that PTO wire needs a gnd, 5v signal, 12v+ or what, they might be onto somethin, using the APPS h.i. mod, or a hand throttle
Exactly what I'm hoping. Someone should just go for it and start grounding and/or connecting power. If their worried about shorting something out, then just fuse it.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by KATOOM
What is that?
One of the best DIY electronic high idle options that someone has come up with I think.
The basic overview of the project is you tap into the APPS (Accelerator Position Sensor) Signal that connects to the ECM with a potentiometer. By adjusting the potentiometer, you trick the computer into thinking you are giving it gas, so in turn, you can idle up the truck. However, the only problem is that if you try to idle it past about 1500 RPM, the ECM reads it as the idle being "out of range" and it throws a code. We're thinking if you can use the PTO wire to "shut off" some of the parameters of the ECM, then you could idle practically wide open with no problem.

Here's the whole thread which tells what it is, how to make it, etc.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...+High+Idle+Box
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Racer26
One of the best DIY electronic high idle options that someone has come up with I think.
The basic overview of the project is you tap into the APPS (Accelerator Position Sensor) Signal that connects to the ECM with a potentiometer. By adjusting the potentiometer, you trick the computer into thinking you are giving it gas, so in turn, you can idle up the truck. However, the only problem is that if you try to idle it past about 1500 RPM, the ECM reads it as the idle being "out of range" and it throws a code. We're thinking if you can use the PTO wire to "shut off" some of the parameters of the ECM, then you could idle practically wide open with no problem.

Here's the whole thread which tells what it is, how to make it, etc.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...+High+Idle+Box
Uh.....thanks.....I think. I be back when I have time to read 19!!! pages of that thread.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 PM

OK.....after reading A LOT.....I think the question now needed to be asked is, has anyone ever hooked up a PTO device to their 2nd gen Cummins? If so then there should be some switch that comes with that device and therefor that switch should connect to the PTO wire. Lastly, however that switch connects or whatever it tells the APPS or ECM must determine a high idle feature. I tried searching for some PTO device for the 2nd gen but I cant seem to find anything. The factory manual is more descriptive as to whats going on with the PTO wire in the gasoline section but the diesel section is much more vague. Not sure why either.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:04 PM

k i know you can use a smarty to activate the factory high idle, what about a superchips programmer?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1dumrednek
k i know you can use a smarty to activate the factory high idle, what about a superchips programmer?
The factory high idle is the 3 cylinder high idle feature, not just a high idle.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:51 PM

Talking

Well, pretty pumped about the info I found regarding a high idle solution. Feeling this could be the answer we've been looking for.

First of all, found some more info regarding the PTO Sense Wire in my 01 Ram Service Manual. Here's the excerpt below:

PTO SWITCH

DESCRIPTION
This Powertrain Control Module (PCM) input is
used only on models equipped with aftermarket
Power Take Off (PTO) units.
OPERATION
The input is used only to tell the PCM that the
PTO has been engaged. The PCM will disable (temporarily
shut down) certain OBD II diagnostic trouble
codes when the PTO is engaged.
When the aftermarket PTO switch has been
engaged, a 12V + signal is sent through circuit G113
to PCM pin A13. The PCM will then sense and determine
that the PTO has been activated.

When it refers to a +12V signal being sent through the circuit, it seems like it infers that a regular 12V switch, when connected, will turn the function on. Also, it doesn't seem like there's anything special about the switch since it refers to an "aftermarket PTO switch."

The real answer I wanted to post about was some information I found on the Diesel Bombers forum about a high idle switch. Towards the end of the thread, some guy posted how he rigged up a high idle switch very similiar to the APPS High Idle box, however, he also used relays to tap into the remaining wires, the Idle Validation wires, to tell the ECM it was "off idle." What I'm thinking it that by telling the ECM it's off idle, no codes are going to be thrown about the idle being "out of range." This was the main flaw in the original APPS high idle box design, and if it's solved, maybe we can finally get a trouble free DIY electronic high idle box.

Here's the link to the thread. The part that's awesome is he gives a full, easy to understand schematic on how to do it.

Lastly, he does it all on an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. Perfect.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-lit...high-idle.html
Old 11-30-2010, 09:16 PM

The factory high idle is the 3 cylinder high idle feature, not just a high idle.
i realize that i wass just wondering if the superchips cold be used to activate it?
Old 11-30-2010, 09:32 PM

Cool

Upon reading over that thread again closer, he himself added a potentiometer and stated now it is "indefinately variable."

So it looks like were good to go!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1dumrednek
i realize that i wass just wondering if the superchips cold be used to activate it?
Sorry. Just making sure you knew and that the 3 cylinder high idle feature isn't what everyones trying to achieve. There's ways to force the 3 cylinder feature but I personally dont want that.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Well, pretty pumped about the info I found regarding a high idle solution. Feeling this could be the answer we've been looking for.

First of all, found some more info regarding the PTO Sense Wire in my 01 Ram Service Manual. Here's the excerpt below:

PTO SWITCH

DESCRIPTION
This Powertrain Control Module (PCM) input is
used only on models equipped with aftermarket
Power Take Off (PTO) units.
OPERATION
The input is used only to tell the PCM that the
PTO has been engaged. The PCM will disable (temporarily
shut down) certain OBD II diagnostic trouble
codes when the PTO is engaged.
When the aftermarket PTO switch has been
engaged, a 12V + signal is sent through circuit G113
to PCM pin A13. The PCM will then sense and determine
that the PTO has been activated.

When it refers to a +12V signal being sent through the circuit, it seems like it infers that a regular 12V switch, when connected, will turn the function on. Also, it doesn't seem like there's anything special about the switch since it refers to an "aftermarket PTO switch."

The real answer I wanted to post about was some information I found on the Diesel Bombers forum about a high idle switch. Towards the end of the thread, some guy posted how he rigged up a high idle switch very similiar to the APPS High Idle box, however, he also used relays to tap into the remaining wires, the Idle Validation wires, to tell the ECM it was "off idle." What I'm thinking it that by telling the ECM it's off idle, no codes are going to be thrown about the idle being "out of range." This was the main flaw in the original APPS high idle box design, and if it's solved, maybe we can finally get a trouble free DIY electronic high idle box.

Here's the link to the thread. The part that's awesome is he gives a full, easy to understand schematic on how to do it.

Lastly, he does it all on an 01 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. Perfect.

http://www.dieselbombers.com/5-9-lit...high-idle.html
Racer26, that verbiage is from the gasoline section of the manual. The diesel section is much more vague.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Whoops, yeah, you're right. Maybe it will be close to the same though...
An idea I've read about is to get in contact with a wrecker assembly company or something and see what they do. Granted, these trucks would be at least 10 years old, but maybe they'd have some general info.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:45 PM

Whoops, yeah, you're right. Maybe it will be close to the same though...
An idea I've read about is to get in contact with a wrecker assembly company or something and see what they do. Granted, these trucks would be at least 10 years old, but maybe they'd have some general info.
My latest thoughts is trying to locate anyone who has used a PTO device on their 2nd gen truck or finding any manufacture who builds a PTO driven device for the 2nd gen trucks. Then there might be some indication as to how to connect that PTO device electronically to the trucks wiring. The trucks equipped with a PTO and is wired for one so.....there has to have been something available for them.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:06 PM

My latest thoughts is trying to locate anyone who has used a PTO device on their 2nd gen truck or finding any manufacture who builds a PTO driven device for the 2nd gen trucks. Then there might be some indication as to how to connect that PTO device electronically to the trucks wiring. The trucks equipped with a PTO and is wired for one so.....there has to have been something available for them.
Exactly. I believe that is going to be our best bet as we both know we are getting nothing from info from Dodge. I might try to look into a few places tomorrow. I looked on a couple sites that had install instructions for PTO gears, but they dealt with like 07-09 Rams, so the only info about the high idle was through the cruise control buttons, which is like the high idle feature already available for those model years.

Quick Reply: idlin your truck