2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

idlin your truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
The factory manual is pretty vague regarding the PTO although you'd think there would be more information regarding BUT.....I remember reading on this topic many many years ago when the 2nd gens were a bit more popular and back then there was a few forum members who figured out that by somehow grounding one of the PTO wires via a switch or however they were able to have the engine automatically ramp to around 1200 RPM. I dont remember there being a need to disable anything in the ECM when this occurred either like the manual says it does. Matter of fact, there used to be a guy by the name of Harold who had a company which sold a solenoid that would mount on the APPS and push the throttle to your desired high idle setting at the flip of a switch. There was no reference to setting off any codes or anything by using it either. Unfortunately his company is no longer around since he used to sell other cool items which he custom made for the 2nd gen trucks, like grid heater savers which stops the grid from cycling EVERY time you got in the truck in cold weather if it was already at operating temp. We all know how annoying that gets. Anyways, I know that there is something which lies with the PTO wire laying against the firewall. Sorry I cant remember back that far and the forum searches dont archive that far back either so unless someone wants to try and figure it out again, this info is lost forever.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KATOOM
The factory manual is pretty vague regarding the PTO although you'd think there would be more information regarding BUT.....I remember reading on this topic many many years ago when the 2nd gens were a bit more popular and back then there was a few forum members who figured out that by somehow grounding one of the PTO wires via a switch or however they were able to have the engine automatically ramp to around 1200 RPM. I dont remember there being a need to disable anything in the ECM when this occurred either like the manual says it does. Matter of fact, there used to be a guy by the name of Harold who had a company which sold a solenoid that would mount on the APPS and push the throttle to your desired high idle setting at the flip of a switch. There was no reference to setting off any codes or anything by using it either. Unfortunately his company is no longer around since he used to sell other cool items which he custom made for the 2nd gen trucks, like grid heater savers which stops the grid from cycling EVERY time you got in the truck in cold weather if it was already at operating temp. We all know how annoying that gets. Anyways, I know that there is something which lies with the PTO wire laying against the firewall. Sorry I cant remember back that far and the forum searches dont archive that far back either so unless someone wants to try and figure it out again, this info is lost forever.
I remember Harold's high idle kit. I actually had one on my truck until the solenoid died on me. It never set any codes, and I didn't really see a way that it would since it was manually moving the APPS arm just as if I were pressing on the accelerator.

The only high idle solution that I've seen set codes was the electronic high idle box that was originally discussed on her using a POT to control the APPS voltage. If you didn't address the idle validation signal, it would set an APPS code if you turned it up too high since the ECM thought the APPS signal was out of range for the arm being in idle position. But once you addressed the idle validation signal, even this solution was code free. That's why I'm not sure what purpose this ECM input has if it doesn't ramp the idle automatically.

I guess I'll have to track down the wire later on, put it to ground and see what happens.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
I remember Harold's high idle kit. I actually had one on my truck until the solenoid died on me. It never set any codes, and I didn't really see a way that it would since it was manually moving the APPS arm just as if I were pressing on the accelerator.

The only high idle solution that I've seen set codes was the electronic high idle box that was originally discussed on her using a POT to control the APPS voltage. If you didn't address the idle validation signal, it would set an APPS code if you turned it up too high since the ECM thought the APPS signal was out of range for the arm being in idle position. But once you addressed the idle validation signal, even this solution was code free. That's why I'm not sure what purpose this ECM input has if it doesn't ramp the idle automatically.

I guess I'll have to track down the wire later on, put it to ground and see what happens.
Hey, thats awesome that you remember Harold. He had some cool stuff which I cant find anywhere else. And keep everyone informed on what you find out.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did anyone try grounding that wire out yet? did it work? would that be the same on an 02?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:29 PM

Been to busy to do anything but "try" and stay ahead of the economy. So as I'm sure the same for the rest of the crowd. But maybe between the two forums, someone will.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:42 PM

it shouldnt hurt anything to just ground that wire out right? i'll try it as long as i know im not gonna wreck something
Old 10-27-2010, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1dumrednek
it shouldnt hurt anything to just ground that wire out right? i'll try it as long as i know im not gonna wreck something
well if the wire is hot, and you run the switch to ground your going to cause a short to ground. this could potentially damage your computer. the way to protect yourself from is by putting a fuse inline with the switch. dosent matter what side of the switch you put the fuse it on. i wouldnt put anything higher than a 10 amp on, and personally would use a 5...

let me know what you find out. if you use the fuse you wont hurt your computer, the fuse will blow first.
Old 10-31-2010, 12:26 AM

Well, I tried to ground the wire, had no luck with anything to do with high idle. After reading a post on cummins forums on this 'pto wire', my understanding is..... it "shuts down" the OBD II so a manual lever can be used to ramp up the idle with out throwing any codes.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:49 AM

well i went to the dealership and they said that they can enable the high idle on my truck(not sure what years it works on) didnt have em do it yet, prob have em do it this next weekend. ill let you know how it goes...

hey Cody D fill out your signature so we all know what kind of truck you have...
Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by cowboykilla235
well i went to the dealership and they said that they can enable the high idle on my truck(not sure what years it works on) didnt have em do it yet, prob have em do it this next weekend. ill let you know how it goes...

hey Cody D fill out your signature so we all know what kind of truck you have...
The "high idle" that the dealer is refering to is the 3 cylinder high idle feature. And unless you live in some seriously frigid climate temps then it probably wont work anyways.

Here's the spec's on the 3 cyl high idle feature:

Extended idle operation, especially in cold weather, can lead to stuck valves and bent push-tubes due to insufficient cylinder heat. This allows varnishes/oils to condense on the exhaust valve stems, leading to stuck valves, and damaged valve train components. A new software feature, enabled or disabled through the DRB III (See instructions under Repair Procedure), reduces the chance of valve sticking and improves cab heat warm-up time.

Once enabled, idle speed will slowly ramp up from 800 rpm to 1200 rpm when all of the following conditions are met:

1. Intake Manifold Temperature less than 0°C (32°F) and,
2. Coolant Temp is less than 60°C (140°F) and,
3. The Transmission is in Neutral or Park and,
4. The Service Brake pedal is not depressed and,
5. Throttle = 0% and,
6. Vehicle Speed = 0 mph

Additionally, if Intake Manifold Temperature (IMT) is less than -9°C (15°F), and all of the parameters above are met, three of the cylinders will be shut off upon reaching 1200 rpm, creating a slight change in engine sound which is normal. This allows the engine to create increased heat in the cooling system, allowing more rapid engine warm up and cab heating.

Both features will automatically disable when one of the following occurs:

1. The Automatic Transmission is placed in gear (forward or reverse) or,
2. The Service Brake pedal is depressed or,
3. Throttle position is greater than 0% or,
4. Vehicle Speed is greater than 0 mph or,
5. Coolant Temperature is greater than 79°C (175°F).

Engine speed will return to normal operation at 800 rpm. If the engine continues to idle and coolant temperature is at or below 60°C (140°'F), the feature will reenable. In order to operate properly, the Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor (APPS) must stay at idle.
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM

Sorry, I tried to edit it a while back and it must have deleted it. I've got a '98 2500 24 valve
Old 11-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
That is the auto high idle for the 98-02's, he seems to have stumbled upon a manual high idle that isn't a stick from the seat to the pedal.
ya i went to the dealership today, and they said that there is a high idle feature that is automatic... is this what you are talking about?

my truck used to do it, till i took it to a shop, and had them check my fuel pressure, boost pressure and other stuff... (he hooked into my compter port thingy-ma-jig under the dash) after that it wouldnt work... if i have the dealership enable that automatic high idle... is that the 3 cylinder high idle?
Old 11-11-2010, 12:51 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's some more info on the subject.. print this out and take it to the dealer..

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-033-04.htm
Old 11-11-2010, 07:03 PM

well i went to the dealership today, and had it installed, cost me $50. ill post my results tomorrow, its supposed to be a cold morning!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Colo_River_Ram
Here's some more info on the subject.. print this out and take it to the dealer..

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2004/18-033-04.htm
I'm gonna have to print that off. When I was in OH, I went to 4-5 dealerships, and none of em had even heard abt the hi-idle. I even pulled out my manual where it says "see dealer abt a high idle feature". they couldnt find it in their computer. I wanted to tell em if ur gonna rely on what your computer screen tells ya, you should be working at auto zone, not here

Quick Reply: idlin your truck