2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?

Hi all,
I've been looking for a good used Gen 1 or 2 Dodge Cumming 3/4 ton to put a reasonable-sized truck camper on and head out on long N-A road trips post-retirement (starting next year). I will be traveling alone (maybe a canine companion) most of the time, and joined occasionally by my GF who unfortunately won't be able to retire for a few more years yet... I'd like to get a truck that's reliable and reasonably comfortable to drive for long days (seating, noise level, etc.).

I understand Gen2's are a bit (or a lot?) better in the comfort factor than Gen1's.
I understand that 2wd have a better ride than 4x4's.
Manual tranny's are more reliable than autos.
12v cummins are more reliable than 24v.
Extended cab useful for storing stuff in the back seat.

Is there any reason I should consider or dismiss a nice Gen 1 for that use, if one should come my way? Or should I limit myself to a Gen 2 12v/manual (to '97, which many said was the best year, reliability wise)?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Banned

I'd get a 1st gen if it was in good shape & cheap. I drove a gasser 6000 mi from Nashville to San Diego to Seattle to Chicago to Nashville. Had lots of fun drinking wine & partying with 1st wife who was young & pretty while parked between the airstreams. Life don't get much better. Perhaps I'll get another go round.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
All I can say is that our 1999 3/4 ton makes us smile, mile after mile. We pull a 30ft TT behind us and can spend many, many comfortable hours in our rig when we are on travel days. I have never driven a 1st gen. so I can't say one way or t'other how they are on long trips. As far as reliability is concerned, yes, the 24V can be a bit of a worry when it comes to the lift pump - VP44 issues. However, it is what it is. You just gotta be prepared and put some gauges in the truck so you can keep an eye on things. If your fuel pressure sucks then it's time for a new lift pump. Whether your VP44 dies or not is a crap shoot. My friend Harvey drove his rig for 320,000kms before his VP44 died.

Just my humble opinions, of course - YMMV.

Cheers!

Mike
Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM

The 2nd is a big improvment over the 1st.
I prefer a built auto over any stick.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:33 AM

I figure a 2wd might be more comfortable to drive than 4x4 for long highway runs, and I don't expect to be driving this truck a lot in the winter, nor off the beaten path (though I'll be driving on marginal roads up north, they will be roads and not cowpaths or offroad sites like Moab etc...).

I'll try to find one with a stick, but there is appeal to just putting it in Drive and pressing on the gas, plus someone else could more easily share the driving on long runs if it was auto.

I'll let condition and reasonable miles be the primary consideration, Gen 1 or 2. I'll try to avoid a truck that's been worked on the farm or used as a snow-plow commercially (I'm in the north-east), and try to get one mainly used for highway runs.

Up here, rust is also a consideration, so I'll try to exercice patience to avoid rust buckets or bondo buggies. I understand Dodges have a tendency for leaking rubber seals, around the windshield etc., so I'll watch out for that.

Ideally, I'll try to get the truck mechanically inspected before buying (though I know that's not always an easy thing to do if buying from someone out in the country, so will educate myself on things to look out for to assess overall condition prior to buying).

Cheers!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might look for a second gen with the camper package. That'll give you the 3500 springs and rear sway bar. I can barely feel my Northstar 850SC back there until it gets above 85mph. Then maybe a little.... A good clean second gen with gauges and a built tranny will take you anywhere you want to go, especially with 4WD.... Good luck!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I've put 200,000+ miles on my 2wd '95 2500 and I love traveling in it. Seat is comfy, the AC blows cold and the ride is fine. I've probably taken it across I-40 from Mo. to Cal. 30 times, sometimes pulling an 22 ft. trailer. It's a great truck to travel in.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by sheriffav8r
You might look for a second gen with the camper package. That'll give you the 3500 springs and rear sway bar. I can barely feel my Northstar 850SC back there until it gets above 85mph. Then maybe a little.... A good clean second gen with gauges and a built tranny will take you anywhere you want to go, especially with 4WD.... Good luck!
The odd Cummins/camper package comes on the market locally, usually snow-birds who have given up on driving South every winter, or looking to down-size or move to something else. They are usually rust-free trucks, with high mileage, and have generally been well looked after (since these people live on the road and can't skimp on maintenance). However the package deal means that they usually want to sell both the truck and camper, and so far the ones I've seen had a HUGE camper, way too big for my needs. I keep my eyes peeled...
Old 09-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Rausch
I've put 200,000+ miles on my 2wd '95 2500 and I love traveling in it. Seat is comfy, the AC blows cold and the ride is fine. I've probably taken it across I-40 from Mo. to Cal. 30 times, sometimes pulling an 22 ft. trailer. It's a great truck to travel in.
Thanks. Cold AC is obviously one of my other criteria to contribute to the Comfort Factor (especially since I envision some trips down in SW US at some point). Glad to know a 2wd 2500 is a comfy travel truck, that's what I"d like to get. I heard a 96 or 97 12v is about the best to get (end of breed) in the Gen 2's, but I suppose that's up for debate... And it comes down to condition and quality of truck, not so much the year.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:18 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
The 12V motor lasted till mid year '98 when they changed to the 24V, not '97.
I all fairness add this question on the 1st gen section or you won't here from too many of them.
Personally I like rolling down the road in my '85 4x4 crew cab with a '90 cummins and custom air bag over leaf spring supension all the way around.
Lots of room for my gear, friends, or my four English Mastiffs, decent power [dead stock motor] good mileage too. [20 plus].
I also I love road trips in my '01 [towing my 10,000 trailer, I REALLY like it]. With the Edge w/ Attitude programmer, 4 inch exhaust and intake, which gives it a boat load of torque.

It is a tough one.

If you are on the north east coast, I would focus more on not getting a rusty Cummins truck more than if it is 1st or 2nd gen...
I hate rust.
Good luck
Old 09-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Banned

Before I bought my 00, I ignored all of the "issues" that come up repeatedly on the boards. Now that I've dealt with most of them, I wonder "what's next". I also wonder how anyone thinks that these are reliable vehicles with low cost of ownership. Many people that I talk to don't even have gauges. Some have told me with a straight face because they've believed it that they had the upgraded LP in the tank. One guy had 3 dealer installed VPs at $3000 each. The only comfort my wife has is that she believes that I can fix whatever breaks - because I've had to do them at least once.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rstl99

I'll try to find one with a stick,
I'll let condition and reasonable miles be the primary consideration, Gen 1 or 2. I'll try to avoid a truck that's been worked on the farm or used as a snow-plow commercially (I'm in the north-east), and try to get one mainly used for highway runs.

Up here, rust is also a consideration, so I'll try to exercice patience to avoid rust buckets or bondo buggies. Ideally, I'll try to get the truck mechanically inspected before buying (though I know that's not always an easy thing to do if buying from someone out in the country, so will educate myself on things to look out for to assess overall condition prior to buying).

Cheers!
Any interest in the truck in my sig?
Old 09-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Banned

Consider buying a truck from down south. Even if shipping is $1000, that will be less than repairing rust. Crazedlist to search multiple craigs list areas. There is also an app for android phones.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Junk Man has a point.
I bought my '01 off of E-bay.
I flew to AZ. three years ago and drove it home after two days of snowboarding in Colo.
I brought the girlfriend and made a little vaca out of it.
Did I mention I hate rust?
I got back home and the frame looked better than my buddies 6 month old Dodge from VT!
Old 09-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Did the same thing with my '00. Bought off of eBay, flew to Phoenix and drove it back to Alberta...rebuilt trans and not a speck of rust.

Quick Reply: Gen 1 or 2 for long-distance trips with truck camper?