2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Excessive front brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Excessive front brake wear

I have been going through front brakes about every 15,000 miles. I notice when I brake empty, the fronts will grab then lock prior to the rears. I've spent tons of time and money to no solution… The "experts" say this is the way they work, but I'm not convinced… 75% of the mileage is done towing, about 10,000 lbs. There are no warning lights and no codes. A couple years back the ABS sensor was replaced and also the right rear brake line. We are taking another trip soon and I'd like to solve this issue.
Thanks Tim
Old 01-15-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
Is all the slack in the rear shoes/drums adjusted out? Sounds too simple... but often its the simple things.

When I used to drive autos, I found changing cheap pads often was quite affordable vs higher-$$$ aggressive pads that ate rotors fast. Now that I drive manual trans just about always, brakes last forever. Or they rust out before they wear out.

Have you considered an exhaust brake?
The following users liked this post:
cohocoal (01-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:40 PM

Thanks. I have been relying on the auto adjustment to keep the brakes adjusted.For some reason the last 12 months the rears have shown little wear, yet the front pads are over 60% gone… It may be as stated that is "the nature of the beast" I have replaced everything again so I'm at factory specs for the trip..
I have and continue to look into and fantasize an exhaust brake… I just spent almost an equal amount in redoing everything. I will hope to install an e brake system this fall… The truck sits from mid may till mid august, then we use it regularly
Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I was going to say your rear disc calipers are seized, then I saw it was a 2000 year truck with drums, then I was going to say install an exhaust brake, but in the last post you are already thinking that. Are you sure the front calipers are lubed up and smooth, maybe they are dragging a little. The front brakes do most of the braking but perhaps whatever you are towing doesn't have enough hitch/pin weight and activating the rear abs. I would definitely take apart the rear drums and lube the auto adjusters then adjust them up. Installing an exhaust brake will pay for itself, I couldn't believe the difference it made to my 2001 2500 5 speed plus I got on board air from the deal.
cohocoal (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 01:25 PM

That is my next inquiry here.. I've been reading up on exhaust brakes and want some input from folks that have installed them.. My truck apparently has some "extras" necessary for the proper instillation.. 60 lb valve springs and a switch for the torque converter. The info I saw was a few years old so I'll be looking for updated technology and information..
Again Thanks
Old 01-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manually adjust your rear brakes, keep them adjusted up and wearing your front brakes out will likely go away. Grabbing will also go away. Doing this solved both issues on my '01 also worked for others over the years.
cohocoal (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i have been on my second set of front brakes in 280000 mils and no indication of needing to be replaced....w t f is going on?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
WOW! I go through a set of front pads every 18 months or so. I have tried numerous different brands from Raybestos, NAPA, Bendix, Wagner etc. I have also tried to keep my rear drums set properly as much as possible. I have rebuilt and or replaced all of the caliper hardware including pins, viton o-rings, calipers and such. I just figured it was the nature of the beast with a heavy diesel motor and buckets of power and heft to try to bring down from speed. I also tow our heavy RV for two to four trips per year up, over and around the Rocky Mountains when we are moving to get away from Alberta winters.

Cheers!

Mike
cohocoal (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 11:27 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Excluding the variable that not everyone's driving habits are the same, there's no need to go through front brake pads so quickly. Yes braking with less force over a longer distance will help, but still it sounds as if the rears arent doing anything in this situation.

I would second making sure the drums are properly adjusted is very important as the auto adjuster commonly seizes from corrosion or just lack of use. In saying that, using the e-brake while rolling backwards is one way to allow the star adjusters to move.....if they're free.

And then I would suggest assuring that the rear brake proportioning valve is working as well because it directly changes the amount of power the rear drums have in a given braking situation.

Lastly, I cant stress enough how much exhaust brakes are something which should be considered as necessary when towing with these, and any diesel pickup. They not only can make a scary potentially unsafe braking situation safe and enjoyable but they take a tremendous amount wear and tear off the service brakes. And.....exhaust brakes can be used all the time, not just when towing.

I just changed the OEM front pads on my truck at 115k miles. I also tow a 14k 5th wheel in the norther CA mountains too. There was still around 1/4" of material on them too which means they probably would have went another 50k miles, but I had things apart and figured spending $50 now would keep me from doing this in another 50k miles.
cohocoal (01-17-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 AM

I've wondered if that ( portioning ) valve is faulty. That is my next assessment. I at least have new brakes and hardware all around so if the issue remains unsolved at departure time the brakes should see us through the trip. The ABS and "brake" lights function when energizing the key/pre start/pre heat mode, then go out so I've presumed that part was good. It's worth the effort to confirm/deny if it is functioning properly… I'll post the results
Thanks
Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Did they still have the rear mounted prop valve in 00? My 98 had it, linkage arm between rear axle and valve was missing so minimal pressure was applied. Works a lot better without it, and again very important to keep drums adjusted. My manual specs manual adjustment every 3k miles if I recall.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM

It was whether or not you have RWABS or AWABS. Only trucks with RWABS had the rear proportioning valve.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:40 PM

The valve (combination/proportioning) tests out as functioning. The auto adjusters were gummy() but not frozen.. I will presume that is the source of the increased wear on the front pads. As stated earlier I'm up to factory snuff with the brakes including the adjusters being new and lubed. Cost a bit, but so did college!!!
Thanks, I will be researching exhaust brakes and plan on new fall when we have time and $'s...
Old 01-18-2017, 02:46 PM

I should have mentioned that with rear drum brakes, if you suspect the rears arent pulling their weight then you can test your theory by slightly applying the parking brake while driving on a safe roadway. Dragging the parking brake a little effectively adds "adjustment" to the shoes. Then if the overall braking performance is better then its clear that the drums are out of adjustment.

Obviously you cant drive with the parking brake like that either but just for a quick test.
cohocoal (01-19-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 11:52 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '95--the fronts were doing all the braking. I got SO TIRED of crawling under the truck and adjusting the rear brakes. Finally........

I pulled the drum brake rear-end and bolted in a 2001.5 disc brake rear-end. Problem solved. The truck brakes SO MUCH EASIER now.