1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS

Anybody knows who sells Front Brake Pads for my 1990 Dodge D250 2WD with a Cummins.

Having trouble finding pads with Wear Sensors / Mechanical Tabs.

Tired of needing to replace the rotors every other time, the pads go away. My truck is automatic and that fact makes it a little harder, to be kind on the front brakes. (Cummins keeps on pushing, even @ 800 Rpm idle)
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by vintageracecar

Having trouble finding pads with Wear Sensors / Mechanical Tabs.

Mike
I have been looking for the same thing. Wear sensors I could care less about. The mechanical tabs is what I want. Getting tired of the trashy stick on/ fall off anti rattle garbage they are using now.

The only rattle my truck has is the front brake pads.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:08 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
How quickly are you burning through a set of pads? Why not make changing front brake pads part of a yearly service procedure?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by thrashingcows
How quickly are you burning through a set of pads? Why not make changing front brake pads part of a yearly service procedure?
I never let my pads (on any of my vehicles) get below half worn. This prevents the intense heat from the rotor, transferring through a thin brake pad into the caliper, to heat up / boil / contaminate the brake fluid in the caliper.

Cheap insurance, IMO.

Once a year, or ever other year sounds about right. If the rear brakes are working well, then it can last even longer.
The following users liked this post:
thrashingcows (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
At times I'll only get 35-40K Miles out of a set of Front Pads. I usually do that in less than 6 month, so to make the changing front pads part of a yearly service does not work well for me.
I switched to Synthetic Oil to be able and go on a Cross Country Trip, without having to change Oil while out of town.
For the Front Brake Pads all I want, is for the darn pads to tell me when they are almost done, so I can replace them, without having to buy new rotors.
That should not be too much to ask for. They are making such pads for most other vehicles, why not our 1st Series Dodge's ????
Old 03-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by vintageracecar
At times I'll only get 35-40K Miles out of a set of Front Pads. I usually do that in less than 6 month, so to make the changing front pads part of a yearly service does not work well for me.
I switched to Synthetic Oil to be able and go on a Cross Country Trip, without having to change Oil while out of town.
For the Front Brake Pads all I want, is for the darn pads to tell me when they are almost done, so I can replace them, without having to buy new rotors.
That should not be too much to ask for. They are making such pads for most other vehicles, why not our 1st Series Dodge's ????

You put 70 to 80 thousand miles on your truck in a year ???????
Really ????????????

Amen, brother.... that's awesome..

If you're handy with a welder, bend up a piece of 16 or 14 gauge sheet metal, and weld it to the pad.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman

Really ????????????

If you're handy with a welder, bend up a piece of 16 or 14 gauge sheet metal, and weld it to the pad.
Funny you mentioned that T-man...I was thinking the same thing. PITA I know, but if it saves you the cost of rotors might be worth it.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman

Really ????????????

Yup, most of it is hauling a trailer. Cummins got almost 500K on it and is still working the way it should.
Guess I could weld tabs on the sides. Probably better off buying Riveted Pads, to make sure the glue does not come loose after welding them. Not even sure if you can get glued pads for a 3/4 top PU.
Would you put them on the front or rear of the pads ? Considering the way the wheel / rotor turns. Probably on the front, so its the last thing the rotor scrapes, after going through the caliper. And on the outside, correct ?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:02 PM

My pads have the squealers on the inside, so that the sound reflects off of the wheel wells. I believe it should be on the trailing side, otherwise the could potentially bend inward towards the pad.
That's so cool your running that king of mileage. The front wheel bearings are , I would think, expected to be repacked every 30 k or so, but I could see where someone such as yourself it's just not practical doing so.
Post pics of the process. Cool project, albeit a bit small
Old 03-23-2016, 07:55 AM

Dodge said front bearing repack every 12K or 12 months.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:53 PM

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Use D350 brake pads instead of D250 bake pads.
The D350 brake pads have more total pad area and fit right in.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
My Raybestos have em. i just dug the loaded calipers I got about a year ago out. and low and behold there they were.
Old 03-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mknittle
My Raybestos have em. i just dug the loaded calipers I got about a year ago out. and low and behold there they were.
Do you have a pic?
Old 03-25-2016, 06:02 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
here ya go.Please excuse the bad pictures I am nit used to my new point and shoot.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS-dscn0029.jpg   Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS-dscn0028.jpg   Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS-dscn0027.jpg   Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS-dscn0026.jpg   Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS-dscn0024.jpg  

Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 PM

Those are the trash type rattle pads. They do rattle. The glue on type just fall apart after a short time. Then the rattle comes back agin.

The original brake pads have a clip riveted onto the back side that clips into the caliper piston.

Quick Reply: Anybody know where to find FRONT BRAKE PADS with WEAR SENSORS/MECHANICAL TABS