2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Drivers window fell inside the door

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivers window fell inside the door

Was heading to town tonight to finish up some stuff for work when I went over a set of RR tracks, and my window simply fell. It seemed like if fell right out of the door off the truck, but I saw a little bit still sticking up. Immediately tried to pull it up, but it went completely into the door. Tried hitting the switch to raise, all it did was make a screeching sound, as the glass was getting scratched I assume. I have no clue what went wrong, or if anything is completely destroyed as of yet. It's 3* outside right now, and getting colder, I don't have time to mess with it in this weather. What could have broke? What are the odds the window is still in one piece? And is there any way to rig it closed until springtime if it is in one piecce? Driving 65 mph with a window down in this weather sure isn't any fun. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:53 AM

you probably need a new window regulator. you usually dont see those things just fall inside of the door completely. someone may have worked on it before and not put the bolts back in the bottom of the window correct.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:04 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have seen the nuts come off the window, where it bolts to the regulator, and have seen the tab on the bottom of the window break off too. They flex a lot. Roll the window up sometime with the door open so you can watch the door panel, and see how much it flexes the enitre door!
Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 AM

This happened to me a few years ago on a day that was probably 10F so I feel your pain. The bottom of the glass is held by a bar that pinches it to hold it. If your window was frozen shut and you tried to roll it down, you may have pulled it off the bottom. One of my friends was riding shotgun and he tried to roll it down without my noticing and pulled it off but the window was still iced in place. Once we had been driving for half an hour and the cab got hot enough to melt the window out, it fell into the door. We pulled over and fixed it in a gas station parking lot in maybe half an hour.

It really isn't that bad to get the door apart. You need to take off the window crank(c clip) and I believe there are a few screws holding the trim on. Then, the plastic panel has a few of those plastic clips which you can force out by putting a screwdriver or something behind the panel. Once that is off, there is a plastic sheet to keep out the weather which you can peel back. Then, you will be able to get the window out of the door and go about reattaching it.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:47 PM

this is a common problem on these dodge ram's.the attachment's on the glass come unglued.you can have an autoglass shop re-glue them for a fee.i've done plenty of them,because i'm a certified auto glass tech.
a little pic of my work van,ferd e250
Name:  Dsc00165.jpg
Views: 2276
Size:  60.6 KB
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would appear that the window has to be able to move inside the retaining clips due to the angular motion of the regulator. How would glue help?
Old 01-03-2008, 02:21 PM

2500superram hit it on the head. I got the glass back into the little channel and got the window rolled up. It was below 0 while doing this whole deal, and I broke every single plastic clip holding the door on. Oh well, at least my window is still in one piece and back in place. Better than driving around cold all the time.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

So are there bolts that hold the window to the regulator track or is it GLUED to the track

My DS window fell down inside the door this AM.

My window apparently fell out of the regulator track for some reason. It's sitting outside my work now with the window down.

Anyone have pics of this repair ???