3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

06 Drivers mirror glass fell out

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thumbs down 06 Drivers mirror glass fell out

So early this morning I am backing my 35ft boat trailer uphill and into a door that has 3" of clearance on each side of the boat, behind my mile long Mega Cab in the rain, and trying to rotate it in because there is not enough room to get lined up straight......when just as I need the mirror the most it simply falls off This by the way was the ONLY mirror I could see out of because the truck was turned enough so i could not see the passenger side, but not enough to be able to turn my head far enough to see backwards

Anybody else been this lucky?

Hard to fix in the downpour but I managed to get it on well enough that I could duck real low and sit with my head almost on the steering wheel and almost see if I was destroying my boat

I now have it back together,(quit raining) amazing that it simply slides downward (when in tow position) and is held fast by 3 VERY flimsy spring clips....I am surprised it doesn't just fall off every single time you shut the door.

Just curious if I am the only one with this great lucky streak today?
Old 08-11-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had the same issue on my 06 mega cab. I had the extended warranty so dodge took care of it. They actually replaced the entire assembly.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It has not happened to me, but seldom am I towing something where I need my mirrors flipped up in the tow position.

Seems like there was a thread about this many moons ago.....
Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by ssandlin
It has not happened to me, but seldom am I towing something where I need my mirrors flipped up in the tow position.

Seems like there was a thread about this many moons ago.....
I should note that my mirror was not in the tow position when it fell out....having now seen the design I can't help but wonder what the Engineers were smoking when they designed it
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I should note that my mirror was not in the tow position when it fell out....having now seen the design I can't help but wonder what the Engineers were smoking when they designed it
Thanks for clarifying the mirror position. What was your fix?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:19 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by ssandlin
Thanks for clarifying the mirror position. What was your fix?
I used the factory service manual which shows to put mirror in tow position to slide the mirror on over the 4 dog ears then the 3 flimsy springs hold the mirror in place. You have to press on the center of the mirror to get all 4 to slide together.

The problem is the 3 springs are so weak I can see no reason why this won't fall off again simply by closing the door a tad too hard if the mirror is not in the tow position.

As a Gunsmith I have access to all kinds of spring steel here and when I have the time I am going to see about modifying the unit with some stronger springs.

My truck although being a 06 it only has 36,000 easy miles on it, I am surprised the mirror set up is so weak. I want to note that if you leave your mirrors in the tow position they would have to jump up to dislodge from the mount and I can't see that happening on highway miles.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM

Thanks, so noted on the fix. As already said, I almost never have mine in the tow position, have 151k miles on the truck and so far so good, knocking on wood!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:33 PM

Mine did that too, and I managed to get it attached again and so far it is holding up. Happened last winter.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:29 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Said mirror saw said driver and got skeered...and ran away.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine hasn't fallen out yet but I sure do get a vibration in the mirror at highway speeds. Does that mean she's on her way out so to speak??

Jim
Old 08-21-2014, 02:31 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

I've been watching my mirror vibrate pretty good at highway speed, especially in heavy cross & headwinds. When it falls off, I'll think of you Lary

You should see about upgrading to the new fangled mirrors that fit the 3rd gens and have the blinker light built in. Some aftermarket company was suppose to be coming out with those. Probably cost an arm and legg too
Old 08-21-2014, 05:32 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I used the factory service manual which shows to put mirror in tow position to slide the mirror on over the 4 dog ears then the 3 flimsy springs hold the mirror in place. You have to press on the center of the mirror to get all 4 to slide together.

The problem is the 3 springs are so weak I can see no reason why this won't fall off again simply by closing the door a tad too hard if the mirror is not in the tow position.

As a Gunsmith I have access to all kinds of spring steel here and when I have the time I am going to see about modifying the unit with some stronger springs.

My truck although being a 06 it only has 36,000 easy miles on it, I am surprised the mirror set up is so weak. I want to note that if you leave your mirrors in the tow position they would have to jump up to dislodge from the mount and I can't see that happening on highway miles.
Not to derail the thread, my hood has been opened maybe 25-35 times for oil/batteries/injectors/fuel filter/jump starting a few cars. My hood shocks are shot. They won't even attempt to hold the hood up.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:36 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

55372200AA

That's the pn for the newer cheaper mopar hood shocks that fit the 3rd gens. Put them on my truck a couple months ago.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by Shorts
When it falls off, I'll think of you Lary
That's what a guy likes to hear....when something falls off, the girls
think of him
Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thx Shorts

Quick Reply: 06 Drivers mirror glass fell out