2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Did I pay too much ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I pay too much ??

Howdy folks---this is my first post here and I am getting alot of enjoyment out of your board !

I recently bought a 97 standard cab 4x4 CTD with the 5 speed . 170000 miles . Power windows and the usual other electric stuff . Interior is very good . The truck handles nice and tight and runs down the road like a dream . I haven't pulled anything yet but this sucker feels like a brute for tourqe ! Shifting is nice and slick but not sloppy . Tires around 50-60% . It has a flush mounted gooseneck ball and a reciever hitch . There are a consirable number of scratches around the top of the box and the paint in the box is well worn . No big dings or dents though .

I payed $9600 and the dealer was stubborn as hell . I felt like it should have been a few dollars less with that many miles but I wasn't as patient as usual when dealing . I have wanted one of these Cummins rigs ever since they first came out . (grin)
I have been driving a '88 K3500 454 for 14 years and was so sick of putting gas in the old girl I almost puked at every fill up !

When I got home with the Cummins , I just drove around the countryside here for about 2 hours grinning from ear to ear !HehHehHeh .

But I still feel like I payed some too much ??

What do you'all think ?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:18 AM

Re:Did I pay too much ??

I can't speak for everyone but........ I always feel that I have never gotten a "good deal" from a dealer. If you don't have to soak too much money in the 'ol girl, then you got a deal. If you have to start doing what has happened to me (a small rant on my money pit, sorry)then you either grin and bear it, or get something new. I can't wait til the warranty is up. Seems like everything that goes wrong is not covered, but I'm a little scared to touch other things on the truck. My life will get better. Thanks for listening.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:29 AM

It sounds like a fare price for the truck to me. Bottom line is if your happy and it's everything you want, than it was a fare deal. Enjoy your CTD ;D<br>Big dawg
Old 12-18-2002, 09:08 AM
Chapter President

I can tell your happy with your new truck ;D next step is to make it more personal with add ons I feel the first step should be a set of gauges...before you bomb your rig (bombing is catchy if you hang out here)<br><br>Be sure to get the KDP fixed so your engine will live a long life
Old 12-18-2002, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site, I think You paid about the right money for the truck. Any doubts you have about spending the money will be put to rest in time and fuel savings over your old truck.<br>Like Pappyman says, get your KDP fixed. If you don't know what this is, just surf around the site a bit, then you'll know and wake up in a cold sweat every night until you do get it fixed!
Old 12-18-2002, 11:10 AM

??? I don't know where your from but around eastern Pa. here you would pay that much for it if it was a 1990 an had twice the miles on it. I just bought a 97 3500 in great shape with 184,000 auto &amp; all options for $ 13,000 an that was from a really nice amishmen that deals just in diesel trucks. I've been looking for about 6 months an he gave me the best buy of any I found. Also he had the trans just rebuilt for $1,800 an gave me the warrenty papers on the trans. Also a 6 month 50/50 warrenty on the truck. (I think I did good)<br> I think you did great (for around my place anyhow)<br> Hope you love the truck an have fun with it. I do mine.<br> Bob ;D
Old 12-18-2002, 07:04 PM

Can't find a copy of the Black Book at the moment, but doesn't sound too bad for the year, even considering the miles. I agree with the otheer comments in that I too was shown much earlier trucks for more money; took 5 months to find mine. If not many repairs needed, sounds good. Where to get the money for BOMBing is another thing...<br> I look forward to getting in mine and driving home at night; like the noise and feel of it. Not so excited that it makes me want to go to work though....<br><br>Enjoy,<br><br>Rob
Old 12-18-2002, 07:11 PM

Sounds like you got a very good deal to me. These cummins sell quick. They are hard to find at all. I looked for about 2 months for mine, and I called every dealer in Washington State, Idaho, and Oregon.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:36 PM
yz

Sounds like you got a good deal. I seen many trucks like mine that were 96 or 97 with that much and more miles going for around $15,000 or more. Good luck with the truck. -Anthony
Old 12-18-2002, 07:41 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Try www.KBB.com (Kelly Blue Book)
or www.edmunds.com Edmunds Pricing guide.
Input what you've got and see what it's worth.
Old 12-18-2002, 07:45 PM

I think you did alright. I bought mine from a small dealer in Ironwood, Mi. for $13,000 with 132k a year and a half ago. I also traded a '89 Chebby r-30 with a 454, auto, and 4:10 gears. The best I did for mileage was 9.5 mpg EMPTY!!! If I put my 10' camper on it got 5.5 :'( . I took my camper from home to Branson, Mo and back and averaged 15.8 mpg with my Cummins. Yes it was the same camper!!<br>Tom
Old 12-19-2002, 12:07 AM

I believe you did very well. Sounds like it is setup to tow already so enjoy your 97 because I do.. 8)