3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How much did you pay for a hood silencer?

Old 05-21-2004, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did you pay for a hood silencer?

I just picked up the hood silencer, part # 55365043aa and 12 clips, part # 6003351. I don't know whether to bend over or say thank you.
List on the silencer is 91.66. Sold to me at 79.70
List on clips are 3.75!!! Sold to me at 2.10 (I bought 12 - I think that is the number I need.)
So for the silencer and the clips (with my discount?? hum??) I paid104.90 plus tax. Is this a good deal or did I get hosed?
The price on the clips was ridiculous. I could use regular Christmas tree type clips with a wide flange.
Where can I get this at a reasonable price?
Thanks
PS I do need the silencer because of a hearing problem.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty sure you can get the clips from NAPA for a lot cheaper.

Packet of 12 for a buck fifty, or something like that.

You could also try a body shop, they might just throw some clips at you no charge.

(sounds like you already have them, will the dealer let you return them if you find them cheaper?)

phox
Old 05-22-2004, 12:22 PM

What is a hood silencer?
Old 05-22-2004, 01:11 PM

Most of the 3G did not have an underhood mat / silencer. DC did that to save $$, did not think we needed it, forgot it,??
Because I have a hearing problem and will not give up my CTD, I'm doing everything I can to make the equiet 3G even quieter.
Jim
Old 05-22-2004, 01:22 PM

If you are after silence above all, you might want to read this thread:
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...m&pagenumber=1
mishkaya
Old 05-22-2004, 09:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The hood silencer is a molded mat that clips to the underside of the hood. In early 03, even the top of the line laramie package did not come with the silencer or an under hood light, though the hood has holes in the proper places for both.

I paid $71.73 for the silencer and .32 each for the clips. I believe it takes 11 clips. I don't think it made much of a difference for sound, but I hope less heat on the hood will protect the paint.

I also did the hood light and wiring harness.

I would guess the full blown thermal liner thing (valve cover, oil pan cover, turbo cover) would be the best way to reduce noise, but way high $$$.

http://www.atpwrap.com/dodge2003.htm

Otherwise, Fatmat would be worth a look.

http://www.fatmat.com/

For me, the factory mat seemed to make the most sense.
Old 05-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Chapter President

339K&Counting
I paid just like you did, I hope your's has more of an effect than mine did. I was dis-appointed to say the least. Heck, I've spent a lot more on a lot less though....
Old 05-22-2004, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the replies and info. What I paid for the silencer may be in the ball park, but the price for the clips was out-a-sight. I haven't opened the box - I now wonder if I will notice the difference? The silencer is a non returnable item once it is installed.

I did some checking. Newdodgeparts.com near Houston sells the silencer for $63.76. Another local dealer will sell to me for $71.73, the same as what you paid, Jeff in TD. And I checked out FatMat web site. I'll call them on Mon

Thanks mishkaya for the thread on noise reduction on TDR. Looks like I need to do the back panel of the cab.

I found a local Clip House.

Jim
Old 05-23-2004, 10:59 AM

Please be careful purchasing anything from Fatmat. I believe they are out of business.

Its a good product however some of the liners I've ordered never arrived but they took my money. After a month or so of trying to get them to reply to me, I went to my credit card company to get my money back (which I did) and fatmat replied back to me

" In the past weeks Gem Deals was basically forced out of business. We struggled to hold on, but now realize it's not going to be possible. Understanding the irritation and aggravation this has and is going to cause you we felt we owed you an explanation as well as any assistance we possibly can offer you in order to get your full refund ..."

Gem deals = fatmat Like I said, I got my money back from my credit card company. the above note was sent 4/1/2004

Just be careful....
Old 05-23-2004, 11:21 PM

Henson motors in Texas sells the silencer for $59.00. Here is their email.
artk@hensonmotors.com
Old 05-24-2004, 01:02 PM

I got mine through a friend at a body shop for $54.

Really can't hear any difference. Before I mounted the pad, I cleaned and sprayed some clear coat over the uncoated flat paint. Bought two cans at Autozone. Adds a liitle more thickness to the pint and is shiiny .

Pete
Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Beware fatmat - I was the one who originally installed one and posted about it. It was a POS, the glue didn't stand up well to the heat over time, and again, they also screwed me out of money on a further order, due to their bankrupcy..

Edit, woops sorry guys, I was searching and forgot this was a really old thread
Old 01-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Banned

I paid $38k for a hood silencer thats collecting dust in the garage.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:53 PM

Mine too! lol You've got to remove it to get the hood to shut right after installing the AFE kit. If anybody wants one, mine is laying in the garage after only being on the truck about 150miles!!! lol Com'n get it, I'm in Missouri
Old 01-29-2005, 06:04 PM

339K&Counting---Geno's has a underhood kit they sell for $42.00, comes in a sheet with the openings under the hood marked out, all you do is cut on the dotted line, they have a pressure sensitive tape for mounting so no over priced clips to buy. Looks like a clean custom installation.

rob

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much did you pay for a hood silencer?