2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

clunk under left foot over small bumps

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk under left foot over small bumps

Well, I just replaced the pitman arm side tie-rod today, still got my clunk.... seems to all but disappear when you take the left shock out( truck almost rides better without the darn shocks).
the shocks are new (second set, first ones were too short) rancho RS5000's bottom bolts and holes are perfect and TIGHT!!! Feels exactly like that would be the problem but that ain't it.

new moog track bar(put the old one in just to check and have the same clunk with both although no play in the new one.)

new rear sway bar bushings (clunk is still there with the front and rear sway bars removed)

new upper and lower control arm bushings.

new tranny mount

new front axle u-joints(hub bearings look and feel great)

the rest of the front-end checks out well, well within spec including the ball joints.

I've even tore the body mount apart on that side and replaced the bolt but???

The problem began after 150km trip on very rough logging road with a camper and boat on.The front end just feels like somethings loose. I did have a little trouble at the lake when I tried to peel my drivers door off on a tree, but it didn't mess up the cab, just the door.?? oh, and it seems to rumble a little more in the cab @ idle, as if the cab was resting on the frame somewhere but its all clear and all bolts are tight??

this has been driving me nuts since June and I can't find it I've checked everything!!!

Any input would be awesome!!

Oh, and I just put on the Jerry Jardine 4" and she sounds sweet!!

Heeeeeelp
Old 12-08-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put some serious torque on those lower bolts.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 AM

Yeah, my shock mounts needed a breaker bar and a cheater to get them tight enough to quiet down.

Dave
Old 12-09-2007, 07:10 PM

Could be a loose sector shaft bushing in the steering column.Do a search.There is a bushing fix out there. I used a stock bushing out of another column on mine.Or it could just be a loose battery. I left for a trip the other week and imediately noticed a clunk and turned around. I just replaced everything on my front end not that long ago but rechecked it anyway finding nothing.Then I grabbed the passenger battery and to my surprise it was loose.It's been in there over a year.Tightened her up and guess what, no more clunk,go figure.
Old 12-09-2007, 08:12 PM
C2O
Banned

i'm goin with the loose shock mounts. could be something else but i would start there
Old 12-10-2007, 07:24 AM

One time I got a trackbar with the wrong taper on the ball joint stud. It would move around in the hole on the frame on small bumps making a clunk and very loose steering....something else to check
Old 12-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Ive got the same clunk as well coming from under the floorboard how only problem is I haven't replaced near as many parts as you have keep us posted if you can get it to go away.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:19 PM

had same problem it was the lower rubber in the lower shock mount. new shocks rubber sucks ,so i got some from energy suspention,they were realy tight and pain in the Edit but they worked great
Old 12-11-2007, 12:28 AM

I got a bunjee on the drivers battery 'cause the hold down got a little acid burn from a leaky battery...so maybe I put a ratchet strap on just to be sure.
I did try the old track bar with no change so the taper should be right, but if I have to, I'll pull that end off again and check.
I know every one points to the lower shock bolts, I know a mechanic who has personally had to deal with that on a couple of trucks and he is friend of mine so I'm going to call him this week and see if he can't triple check those for me(and he might have a longer bar for tightning them).

the bottom bolts are super, super tight(It's even hard for me to get the shocks out because the steel mounts are holding pressure on the shock even with the bolt out) but, it does get better with the shock un-bolted so I'm hoping that they can be tightened more to solve my problem??

It's just that it does it over such small bumps/uneven-ness in the road or road seams that it feels like what ever it is must be extreamly loose almost like something is flopping around. (something of decent weight, not plastic)

thanks again!
I will definetly keep everyone informed, even if its something that makes me look like an *ss
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Ok, an update

so I put the original shock(it is still in very good shape) back in on the driver side and from what I can tell right now the clunk is almost unnoticeable. I won't know for sure if it's gone completly until I change the passenger side on Sunday.
So, a little ahead of time I'll pose the question:

Is it possible that a stiffer shock could amplify a problem elsewhere on the truck and with the stock shock in place the problem is less noticeable???

keep in mind that the only place you feel the clunk is with your left foot.
So I'll see what happens when I get that other rancho out of the passenger side. but for now it feels 95% better

Thanks again
Old 12-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Had the same issue with my dad's truck and a cheap set of Ranchos.

The crush sleeve in the shock was a little shorter than the stocker. No matter how tight it got, the shock could moce slightly.

Might be something to check since you have both a new adn old shock on the bench.

Dave
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

My truck it was the track bar also, I thaught i had it tight enough, but for some reason it bounced up and down causing a vibration under my feet drove me nut's, I screwed up and got my track bar from autopuke, not napa, never again, at least now my after market parts i get come from napa,car quest or the dealer, good luck lets us know what is was if you will