Cargo and third brake light - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Cargo and third brake light

Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #1  

Cargo and third brake light

Seeking Info, 98.5 Dodge/Cummins
I have searched and can not find information, even from the dealer, if anyone can accurately inform me, please do.
My truck has a cargo light and I am wondering if Dodge had the "Third Brake Light" available as an option. I believe that later models 99,2000,2001,2002 have them. I may have to add a wire for the brake light.
Thank you, kerley
Kerley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #2  

My 98 has cargo and CHMSL, I believe factory. I thought all 2nd gens had that. Actually I think all trucks legally come with the 3rd stop lamp on the cab. Unless you are talking at the end of a bed cap, not sure if all came with a CHMSL wire run to the rear bumper, mine did though.
gorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorms View Post
My 98 has cargo and CHMSL, I believe factory. I thought all 2nd gens had that. Actually, I think all trucks legally come with the 3rd stop lamp on the cab. Unless you are talking at the end of a bed cap, not sure if all came with a CHMSL wire run to the rear bumper, mine did though.
Im talking about the lights on the cab above the rear window.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 PM   #4  

Yea, there should be a brake light there. Some years had a clear looking lense but light up red in the middle when the brake is applied. Have you opened up the lense?
gorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorms View Post
Yea, there should be a brake light there. Some years had a clear looking lense but light up red in the middle when the brake is applied. Have you opened up the lense?
Not yet.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM   #6  

I recommend to look at the gasket before reassembly.
Some of these trucks had water in the cabin because the gasket dried out and leaked.
I usually use "Armor All" to soften the gasket before reinstalling the light.
AlpineRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlpineRAM For This Useful Post:
Kerley (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #7  

A 98.5 should have the CHMSL--Center High Mount Stop Lamp. Sometimes if a canopy or capper was installed they took the bulb out because it back lit the cab,,,,
SIXSLUG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SIXSLUG For This Useful Post:
Kerley (02-23-2018), nothingbutdarts (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 PM   #8  

Third brake/Cargo light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG View Post
A 98.5 should have the CHMSL--Center High Mount Stop Lamp. Sometimes if a canopy or capper was installed they took the bulb out because it backlit the cab,
I installed new light bulbs and tested last night, the third brake light works and is really bright and you are correct, the PO did have a camper. I have my headlight switch out so I cant test the cargo light at this time. Thank you
kerley