Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/)
-   -   Cargo and third brake light (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/2nd-gen-dodge-ram-no-drivetrain-90/cargo-third-brake-light-329855/)

Kerley 02-21-2018 12:27 PM

Cargo and third brake light

Seeking Info, 98.5 Dodge/Cummins
I have searched and can not find information, even from the dealer, if anyone can accurately inform me, please do.
My truck has a cargo light and I am wondering if Dodge had the "Third Brake Light" available as an option. I believe that later models 99,2000,2001,2002 have them. I may have to add a wire for the brake light.
Thank you, kerley

gorms 02-21-2018 05:19 PM

My 98 has cargo and CHMSL, I believe factory. I thought all 2nd gens had that. Actually I think all trucks legally come with the 3rd stop lamp on the cab. Unless you are talking at the end of a bed cap, not sure if all came with a CHMSL wire run to the rear bumper, mine did though.

Kerley 02-21-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by gorms (Post 3344479)
My 98 has cargo and CHMSL, I believe factory. I thought all 2nd gens had that. Actually, I think all trucks legally come with the 3rd stop lamp on the cab. Unless you are talking at the end of a bed cap, not sure if all came with a CHMSL wire run to the rear bumper, mine did though.

Im talking about the lights on the cab above the rear window.

gorms 02-21-2018 09:50 PM

Yea, there should be a brake light there. Some years had a clear looking lense but light up red in the middle when the brake is applied. Have you opened up the lense?

Kerley 02-22-2018 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by gorms (Post 3344499)
Yea, there should be a brake light there. Some years had a clear looking lense but light up red in the middle when the brake is applied. Have you opened up the lense?

Not yet.

AlpineRAM 02-22-2018 10:38 AM

I recommend to look at the gasket before reassembly.
Some of these trucks had water in the cabin because the gasket dried out and leaked.
I usually use "Armor All" to soften the gasket before reinstalling the light.

SIXSLUG 02-22-2018 10:50 PM

A 98.5 should have the CHMSL--Center High Mount Stop Lamp. Sometimes if a canopy or capper was installed they took the bulb out because it back lit the cab,,,,

Kerley 02-23-2018 12:38 PM

Third brake/Cargo light

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG (Post 3344564)
A 98.5 should have the CHMSL--Center High Mount Stop Lamp. Sometimes if a canopy or capper was installed they took the bulb out because it backlit the cab,

I installed new light bulbs and tested last night, the third brake light works and is really bright and you are correct, the PO did have a camper. I have my headlight switch out so I cant test the cargo light at this time. Thank you
kerley

Kerley 10-28-2018 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kerley (Post 3344580)
I installed new light bulbs and tested last night, the third brake light works and is really bright and you are correct, the PO did have a camper. I have my headlight switch out so I can't test the cargo light at this time. Thank you
kerley

when I opened the light fixture all four bulbs were burnt out, I replaced all four and now the brake light works.