2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake drum removal hint: It really DOES work!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake drum removal hint: It really DOES work!

Did a brake job on my truck today. Rotors and pads up front went easy. Decided I should check the rear drums while I was at it.

Pulled the rear wheels off and saw that the drums still had the push clips on them from factory assembly so I knew they had never been off before. "OH NO" I thought, 63,000 miles with 4 Minnesota salt filled winters. I thought "Boy are these drums going to come off hard."

Then I remembered a hint I read on the ol' DTR.

I removed the assembly clips, removed all the lug nuts, (kept one on each side just far enough to catch all the threads, started the truck, put it in reverse, gave it just a little throttle, and STABBED the brakes.

I heard a CLINK and I said "No way could it be that easy."

I shut the truck off, got out and removed the last two lug nuts, the drums had popped out and I slid them right off.

In the past, I have done the "get a bigger hammer" and the "grab the torch". I now have the right way and I don't even remember who to thank.

So a big THANK YOU to everyone that posts these great tips for all the rest of us to learn from. I hope I can return the favor someday!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That tip is surely gonna be in my archives.. Sounds a little scary, but get good jack stands I suppose..

J-eh
Old 05-26-2004, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by Lil Dog
but get good jack stands I suppose..

I'm glad you mentioned that. I was on a 10,000# two post lift so that wasn't a problem, but others that don't have that luxury should remember to use good stands and block the front wheels if they are not off the ground.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:46 AM

Just loosen the bolts. Nothing is going to fall off.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Lil Dog
but get good jack stands I suppose..
and make sure you're not in 4wd!

The bolts have to be removed, not just loosened in order to remove any clips and remove the wheel. Doing the stomp on the brakes with loose lugs and the wheel on can damage the rim or stud threads.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by infidel

The bolts have to be removed, not just loosened in order to remove any clips and remove the wheel. Doing the stomp on the brakes with loose lugs and the wheel on can damage the rim or stud threads.

Absolutely Right!! I should have made that clear in the first place. I removed the lug nuts and wheels, then reinstalled one lug nut loosely just to "catch" the drum.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:41 PM

Never heard of doing it that way ... but I am sure gonna give it a try on the next brake job that comes in to the shop !!!

We had a guy in an old Monte Carlo come in the other day and I swear, the groove that was worn into his rear drum was at least 1/4" to 3/8" deep.
I was watching to see just how big a hammer the guy was gonna grab for that job .

Thanks for the tip,
PISTOL
Old 09-10-2006, 12:14 PM

You guys are freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I knew who the first guy was to come up with this idea, I'd send him a check!!

I've got nearly 200,000 on my 2000 Dodge Ram and never had the rear drums off. Everything is working good, but I figure with that many miles I needed to at least look. I've tried several times to get the drums off in the past and given up - beat on them, tried the torch, even tried jerry-rigging some clamps to make a wheel puller. Saw this and had them off in less than a minute!!!!

Thanks a ton guys!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by durhamd
You guys are freakin' awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I knew who the first guy was to come up with this idea, I'd send him a check!!

I've got nearly 200,000 on my 2000 Dodge Ram and never had the rear drums off. Everything is working good, but I figure with that many miles I needed to at least look. I've tried several times to get the drums off in the past and given up - beat on them, tried the torch, even tried jerry-rigging some clamps to make a wheel puller. Saw this and had them off in less than a minute!!!!

Thanks a ton guys!!!
Now you need to add the GM 1 ton cylinders so your rear brakes actually work.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by durhamd
PM me and I'll give you my address.
I was the first to post it here but admit I learned of the trick at least forty years ago from an old timer.
He also told me of the easy way to remove tapered shafts like ball joints have. Hit the part the shaft goes into on opposite sides at the same time with a hammer in each hand, pops right out.
The following users liked this post:
Dodgestruck (04-27-2021)
Old 09-11-2006, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
I was the first to post it here but admit I learned of the trick at least forty years ago from an old timer.
He also told me of the easy way to remove tapered shafts like ball joints have. Hit the part the shaft goes into on opposite sides at the same time with a hammer in each hand, pops right out.
How in the world did that guy come up with the tapered shaft trick?????? Man I'm storing that one in the 'ol memory bank !!!
Old 09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Bill (infidel) is a virtual GOLDMINE of handy tips and info on many varied subjects.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:31 PM

The same old timer probably told me how to remove a pilot bearing using grease and a bolt
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 AM

Man, these are some good tips. I will remeber to use these next time.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:23 PM

you should write allof this down and sell it to me cause i'd buy it

Quick Reply: Brake drum removal hint: It really DOES work!