2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Brake drum removal hint: It really DOES work!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Leprecon and Strong, the reason your drums aren't popping off is that they are so far out of adjustment that you're not getting the sudden shock it takes to break them loose.
Turn the starwheel on the backside of the drum while rotating the wheel.
Stop when the shoes just start to rub.
Now the trick will work, it has never failed me.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info Infidel but my brakes are always adjusted up.I learned when I first got this truck that the auto adjusters don't work so I adjust them at least twice a year,once when I rotate the tires and at each oil change.My drums aren't scored so the pads weren't holding them on either.This trick just didn't work for me.I think my problem was I could not lock up the rear axle with the brakes, it would slow down and gradually stop but not stop quickly.The driver's side drum came loose but the pass side was rusted badly and would not come loose.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I guess it's time to break out the sledge hammer then.
Been a long time since I used one but I've never damaged a drum wailing on it with a sledge.
Use anti-seize when you put it back together so it doesn't happen again.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by leprechaun
Thanks for the info Infidel but my brakes are always adjusted up.I learned when I first got this truck that the auto adjusters don't work so I adjust them at least twice a year,once when I rotate the tires and at each oil change.My drums aren't scored so the pads weren't holding them on either.This trick just didn't work for me.I think my problem was I could not lock up the rear axle with the brakes, it would slow down and gradually stop but not stop quickly.The driver's side drum came loose but the pass side was rusted badly and would not come loose.
if the rear axel did not lock up when you were applying the brakes, they are not adjusted enough!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by jughead
in my 40 years in the business i have used all of the above but the candle on a frozen bolt. so i guess one doesnt get too old to learn. ps they all worked for this old man when special tools failed
Apparently its a well kept secret. I believe its the first time I have ever unscrewed a fastener and the threads were actually lubricated when they were backed out! (and not because the penetrant leaked on it as it was being unscrewed)

Never too old to learn tricks, sometimes folks are too ornary to try them though, Me I'm all for learning something new
Old 01-12-2009, 10:05 PM

nickg,
I was thinking that the anti-lock brake system was keeping the axle from locking up - or does this only work when the truck is in motion?
Old 02-22-2009, 02:05 PM

**** sure glad i looked here after the last hour of banging, i did exactly as the post states and what do u know they both fell right off. all I have to say is **** you guys are good. thanks again guys

PS WHEN IN DOUBT LOOK HERE ON DTR IM SURE THERE ARE EVEN DIRECTIONS ON HOW TO PERFORM CPR HERE TOO HAHAHA