2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Big Brake update

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coalburner400
I hate to pull another cliff-hanger, but I just got my truck back from the shop.

As soon as I got home though, I took the passenger front tire, caliper and rotor off.

I dry fitted the 03+ disk and caliper without hooking up the banjo bolt, and I did not put the 2006 17" wheel back on. The bolt holes line up and there do not appear to be any clearance issues whatsoever. I will not even have to goof with the dust shields

So far, I'm very satisfied that this is a bolt and go solution to the MY2001 brake problems I've been dealing with since I've purchased the truck.

I'm VERY optimistic that this will work just fine. In fact, so pleased that I'll have my wife take some pics while I change the brakes. Now all I have to do is find time to do the job - too busy at work Well I feel a cold coming on. TBC
does it have to be a 17" wheel? thats still great news to hear.
thanks!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:35 AM

anyone know the size of the roater on one of those half ton dodge's with the v10? I know they have a big old brembo upgrade caliper. My dealer had the caliper and roater sitting around. I just cant recall the size of ther roater or my 98's for that matter. But if we can get a caliper for the same size thickness roater why cant we just fab up a new bracket?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Success!

Well, the confirmation is here. 2003+ brakes fit and operate perfectly on the 2001.5 - at least it did for me There are no clearance issues, or distribution problems that I can see. Modulation is pretty much consistent with the original brakes until you get on them. Then the 13.9's start to grab nicely.

I'll spare the details but it was pretty much business as usual to install. I had to bleed like 4 times till I figured the truck was on an incline That's what I get... I should have waited for the weekend. This is one of those common sense things like making sure the bleeder is at the top.. if anything make sure the back of the truck is higher than the front. The reservoir is a good indicator of level.

The performance of these brakes are much better than the last, but this does not say much since I was in need of new brakes anyway. The truck has always stopped pretty well, I just hated having to take apart and lube the brakes every fall... otherwise I'd only get 8 months on a brake job.

At the end of the day it was worth it to me. I'm very happy with the added performance, but even more happy to have a revised brake that will have a longer service life (it does not have to work as hard to stop)

My wife did not want to assist, so here are some snapshots I took for you folks.
I'll make some long-term posts here after I get a few miles on these brakes, but I promise to make a second post with the napa part numbers I used (I'm waiting to return the cores so I can find out what part number goes with what caliper)

I was going to try my 16" wheels to see if they fit, but after looking at the 17" wheels there was only about 1/2" to 5/8" of space. If they did fit, it would probably be too close for comfort.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:51 PM

What was your total cost and part #s.

I will have the cross #s from the dealer soon.

I bet it stops a whole lot better!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by slowflyer2112
What was your total cost and part #s.
I will have the cross #s from the dealer soon.
I bet it stops a whole lot better!
It was around ~$820 for all 4 discs, calipers, and pads (minus the core).

Here's my receipt with all of the part numbers and amounts.

BTW, thanks again for making this thread. I realized I waisted way too much time trying to figure out the compatibility. Napa said they would refund all but the freight ($15 or so) if I returned the calipers. I would have rather spent the $15 to return the parts then the hours trying to figure out diagrams, and calling dealerships/body shops.. Lesson learned.
So much for what the Dodge dealer said, "It will never work. American Axles are different than the Dana... Its completely redesigned"....

You'll definitely notice a difference in the stopping, but its only when you get into them. Stop lights and stop signs feel pretty much the same to me. My eyebrows went up once I put my foot into the peddle though. I guess I was hyping my self up for something dramatic (like you could throw a q-tip at the peddle and you'll fly through the windshield). The benefits are definitely there, but I don't think I'll notice them during standard, every day, driving conditions.... I've already got 24 miles on these brakes and I have not really had to adjust my driving to compensate for the added stopping power. All that being said, I'm sure that the benefits would best be realized when towing, or during a panic stop.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:40 PM

Hmmm my last update did not show.

I put 43 miles of city driving (vs my previous country miles) and I can now vouch for the 30% claim. There is a huge difference in daily driving when going through stop and go.

I'm very happy thus far with the upgrade!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:57 PM

Just a thought for the older trucks, could they get one of the free spin hub kits from Dyanatrac or other places and then be able to do this? This would also give the 2wd low and lockout hubs with better breaking. Just a thought
Old 07-01-2007, 10:58 PM

Its a possibility. This ideal started because of my discussions with EMS.

I asked them to make a bracket and they thought the ideal was great. When they checked into it and looked at the newer trucks, they told me that the brackets looked the same but bigger.

So now you know the rest of the story.

Mark
Old 07-02-2007, 05:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgecaveman
Just a thought for the older trucks, could they get one of the free spin hub kits from Dyanatrac or other places and then be able to do this? This would also give the 2wd low and lockout hubs with better breaking. Just a thought
From what I can see on the Dynatrac web site, it will have no affect on the brakes as it does not require a steering knuckle change, which is the problem with the older, 99-, trucks.
http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_dodge.html

Chris
Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by CTD NUT
The 00 - 02 outer knuckles, bearing hubs, calipers, caliper mounts and rotors are all different than the 94 - 99 parts to allow for the slip on rotor assembly and twin piston calipers. That said, the outer knuckles are interchangeable so it is possible to covert all the knuckles-out parts on a 94 - 99 to the later 00 - 02 set up.....that certainly wouldn't be very cheap though!
Since the newer brackets, calipers, and rotors are going to be purchased anyway wouldn't a kit like this change out all of the rest of the parts? I personally don't know enough about this to argue much over it but it seems to me that these kits change things to use the slip on rotors. Just trying to add something to the discussion. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:30 PM

Does anybody have the part number to the '03 brackets handy?
Old 07-16-2007, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by bangin6
Does anybody have the part number to the '03 brackets handy?

you can look on the receipt.
http://img46.imageshack.us/my.php?im...age0001wv1.jpg
Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM

no luck for us 99 and older trucks yet huh (my truck does not have the removable rotors, I got the unlucky 99)

Sure is an easy job for the 2000 and up trucks, too easy really good find!
Old 07-20-2007, 08:25 PM

Big Brake upgrade

He Guys, How do I get in touch with these EMS guys? I have a 2wd and want an upgrade too. To know me you'd understand.Mark
Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kayakit
He Guys, How do I get in touch with these EMS guys? I have a 2wd and want an upgrade too. To know me you'd understand.Mark
So am I to understand this this only works on 4WD?

Quick Reply: Big Brake update