2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

BFG Commercial TA

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 04:33 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFG Commercial TA

Anybody have any experience with these? Was ck'ing out Costco ... wow did Michelin take a price jump.

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=Q&Width=235

Here's the Commercial TA.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...aallseason.jsp

Here's the All-Terrain TA for comparison.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...erraintako.jsp
Old 10-15-2004, 04:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm running the 235/85's on my 3500. They wear good, but they are amoung the worst tire for comfort that I have ever owned. Very hard sidewall and will get into almost a "basketball" bounce if you are unloaded. I run 55lbs rear and 65 front unless loaded.

I'll put them on again cuz of the life they lead, but for a hiway tire, don't recommend them.

Ed
Old 10-15-2004, 08:56 PM

just bought a set of six for my 01 dually. i have put on about 1500 miles on them. so far...good results. quiet at high speeds, solid feel in pouring rain. had the truck in my yard(off road),bed loaded with logs and pulling a dual axle dump trailer also loaded with logs. needless to say, no slouch in the dirt.

i run the tires inflated high...85lbs. any lower than that they look really low and running flat. i read the above thread. "bounce", you are driving a 3/4 ton to a one ton vehicle. you have to expect that kind of ride.

i did get them at costco. can't beat that price and warranty that they come with.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had Michelins on my 93 250. Put BFGs on it around 15K ago. Initally it felt like I was driving on iced roads, actually scary in comparison to the worn michs. not sure what it was, but now there fine or I just got used to it. They are wearing great, a little hard riding even at 50 psi. Overall they seem to be pretty tough, and for the price I couldent do better. I think the 4 were $420 OTD.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:51 AM

Running the traction version on mine. So far so good. Used balancing beads...no weights. Very slight hum. Ride is just fine, but I'm heavy at 12k #'s. Buddy saw mine and bought 6 for his dually too. He has more miles than I do. We're both happy so far. Wearing even so far. With regular rotation they should do well. Hopefully they stay quiet.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:10 AM

i notice that they have consistant bad traction... I never got stuck in regular driving and I felt I had more control over the truck with the commercials than I do with the A/Ts

if I needed to turn sharper than the truck wanted to and I had enough room I'd just throw it into a slide and it was just as if not more predictable than driving without sliding

it might be dumb but when your faced with almost a foot of snow with drifts up to 2 ft and no one else is on the road... you get from point a to point b how ever you can.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:59 AM
Muted User

I wonder what up with these on the traction front. Real hard compound? Lots of edges designed into the tread, so one would think all would be ok.

I checked Tirerack for a tire comparison ... didn't have them. I'd like to find a site that'll compare, other than BFG.

Great responses, thanks.

The Michelin counterpart does not have a treadwear warranty ... i'm guessing this is a mfg thing, not a Costco thing. I kind of like the idea of the 50k mileage warranty. They don't check for BOMBs.

http://www.costco.com/Tires/Product....ed=R&Width=235
Old 10-16-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Like I said, They wear good, but for my usage I doubt I'll see the stated life. I chose this tire based on the recommendations of the dealer. Our local EMS units run them and if they will stand up to that usage, I figured it would be good enuff for me.

Only traction problems I find are sloppy slimey mud around construction sites and farms. But, any dually will have it's moments then.

Like earlier, I'm going to buy'em again. Just hope it's a while down the road.

Ed
Old 10-16-2004, 10:46 AM
Muted User

Yep, agreed Ed.

I notice that the Michelins are "hard" after rotation ... they inflate to max load. After I balance the pressures to solo levels, all is well. The 9000's can tune out the rest.

With 99.9% of my driving on dry roads, both pavement & dirt, all will be well. 0.1% is on snow, packed snow.

Forrest
Old 10-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Try here for an evaluation: http://www.4x4tires.co.uk/

Seems to really impress the land rover crowd.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:37 PM
Chapter President

I've run the BFG Commercial TA on the rears since I bought my truck 4 years ago they work ok with all the heavy loads I pull I've also used them on my trailers with good wear
Old 10-16-2004, 09:14 PM

Watch the BFG's commercial TA's!
I kept hearing a noise from the front tire like a rock in the tread, but I could never find the rock.
After dragging the 5'ver 3000 miles for vacation, I found that I one (just one) of the outer treads to be separating from the tire. It had about 8 inches missing, and you could feel the inside the tread grooves where about another 10 inches was coming off.

I bought mine at Sam's about a year ago, and they all have about 10,000 miles on them. Sam's replaced it without incident, but now I watch them all very closely. I have also found BFG has a recall on some tires but not the commercial TA.

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/bfgap...?source=bottom

Do I trust them? Yeah, sorta I just may have gotten the only bad one....Well it could happen right.

James