2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Ah, Lawdy, I Got 'Dem Steerin' Pump Blues....

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ah, Lawdy, I Got 'Dem Steerin' Pump Blues....

I have searched but can find no definitive answer as to why my newly installed steering pump is making noise, only info on old pumps going bad. No leaks, fluid is at correct level. Bled the new pump like this:

1) Engine off - Filled with fluid, jacked up front end and cycled the steering from stop to stop 20 times. Watched bubbles and filled as needed.

2) Engine on - Cycled steering stop to stop 20 times. Watched bubbles, no noise present.

3) Waited a day and cycled steering 5 times with engine off, 5 times engine on. Few more bubbles out, still no noise.

4) Road tested truck and get a humming vibro effect when steering wheel is at 7 o'clock position on left turn and 5 o'clock on right turn.

The noise and vibration is not excessive but who can tell when they're sitting behind a Cummins? Even the old pump didn't make noise so I know this is not a good thing. Do I need to keep bleeding? Or what other scenario am I looking at here? Many thanks for your kind suggestions.

littlebuddie
Old 09-08-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Try some PS fluid additive.
I've been extremely impressed with LubeGard from Napa.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this the Auto Zone rebuild you spoke of in a previous post?
Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 PM

Hi infidel, that is sure easy enough to do and I'll try it. Yes GAmes, it is the ATSCO reman from AutoZone. Since my core had been recycled and I was stuck with the reman, I installed it. If I can't make this noise go away and I end up getting nicked for the reman, I will buy a new pump as you discussed in an earlier thread. I should have known better than to buy a remanufactured anything, but I still have a little hope...
Old 09-09-2009, 03:13 PM

I'm just sorry I didn't post in time to save you the hassle and expense of replacing it more than once.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:06 PM

I am still getting small bubbles, especially with engine off and truck off ground. No noise at all with engine running and truck is off ground. No leaks. Can it sometimes take this long to purge the system on these trucks? In all, I think it has been cycled about 50 times. I spoke with the tech support guy at ATSCO today, very nice people, who said that the recommended fluid is MOPAR MS5931. There's Prestone in it now. Is MS5931 a dealer only item or is there an equivalent? I am going to troubleshoot this a bit more before I pull the pump again. Thanks!
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by littlebuddie
I am still getting small bubbles, especially with engine off and truck off ground. No noise at all with engine running and truck is off ground. No leaks. Can it sometimes take this long to purge the system on these trucks? In all, I think it has been cycled about 50 times. I spoke with the tech support guy at ATSCO today, very nice people, who said that the recommended fluid is MOPAR MS5931. There's Prestone in it now. Is MS5931 a dealer only item or is there an equivalent? I am going to troubleshoot this a bit more before I pull the pump again. Thanks!

You may want to try Amsol or Royal Purple fluid, it may have more lubing qualities. Also try bleeding with engine on and no weight on tires then just a slight weight and then more weight until you have full weight on tires. This is the way I always bled highway and off road trucks when i was working on heavy duty and never had problems.It just takes time to remove all the air.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:44 PM

Thanks for sticking with me on this GAmes, I appreciate it. Sawyer1, what you say about putting increasing weight on the truck while you bleed makes sense. I don't know anything about Amsol or Royal Purple but I will definitely look into them. All I know is that there are a confusing amount of variations and contradictions about what fluid should be used in the 1999 year. I hope this thread amounts to something useful to someone else as well. Thanks!
Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM

I blew a seal in my pump right after replacing the steering box, I installed a Napa reman. I used Honda compatible fluid since no synthetic was available locally, about 10 full turns and it was good to go. Sounds like a bad pump to me, any reman is a bit of a crap shoot.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM

Hi Stormin Norman, there may be nothing wrong with my pump, just the installer of said pump. Your '02 runs on ATF or Honda compatible fluid whereas up to 1999, it is different. I use the 'not for use in Honda' fluid but I will put in an additive as Sawyer1 suggested when I get this issue ironed out. I am glad your installation was so successful.

This popped into my head today, at time of installation, I put in new hoses that I bought from NAPA. The only hose they had in the correct diameter was industrial Weatherhead brand, very stiff and inflexible, with spiral wrapped rubber impregnated cloth. You see it typically on tractors and bulldozers. Very durable and heavy walled. I thought, 'this is great, it's tough'. Here's what I think now, this stuff is too rigid and it transfers natural movement and vibrations excessively, whereas, the factory hose is softer and absorbing. The pump makes no noise or vibrations when truck is tested on jack stands as there is no way for the vibrations to bounce back like there is when it's on the ground. I am going to replace the hoses with something closer to the original and see what happens. I'll report back after the hose change. Thanks everyone for your replies, I learn so much from you guys!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:53 PM

Smile !Resolved!

Today I changed out the industrial type hoses to something more like the stock hoses and the noise and vibration problem is gone. Those ultra heavy duty hoses and that sort of noise and vibration is fine on my tractor (where it belongs) but not on my Ram. I Thank you all for helping me through this venture, you guys and gals are GREAT!