2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

ABS activating under (very) light braking at almost stopped...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgetech77
Id pull the diff cover and check to see of the tone ring is damaged. I had one a couple months ago at the shop that the trac lock retainer came apart and smashed a tooth on the tone ring and caused the same condition

dodgetech77 - This does make sense to me. Here's a bit more detail about what my truck does. When braking lightly at 5 mph or less, and the ABS unit kicks in, it somewhat seems like its ABS'ing the rear wheels. However, in reality, the ABS unit probably "anti-locks" all 4 wheels at the same time, and probably does not have the option of "anti-locking" one axle or the other independently. I'm not sure about that, its just my guess.

What makes me think its feels like its "anti-locking" the rear is because the ABS unit seems to run about a 1.5 second cycle, then shuts off. If my foot is still pushing on the brake pedal when the ABS unit shuts off, the rear tires will occasionally lock-up for a brief moment, before continuing to roll.

This action makes me think your idea about the tone ring being damaged may be right on. If you don't mind, could you answer these questions?

1) If the tone ring is damaged, would I even have heard or felt this damage when it occured?

2) Is there any indication while driving that its damaged? Like, if this trac lock retainer came apart, would I hear noise ... feel something?

3) Does this tone ring signal anything else besides the ABS unit / ABS PCM/ECM?

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:46 PM

The one i fixed the customer had no indication nor did i the the diff was damaged internally until i pulled the cover. Its worth the look because the symtoms you are describing are the same as the truck i worked on being a 99 2500
Old 09-22-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had trucks that have come in with the ABS light on and upon pulling the rear sensor it resembled a porcupine egg (magnet full of metal). If that's the case it's a dead give away. On the "guessing" side I have had a couple over the years....including my 95 with RWAL, that would energize the ABS just as you described. Ended up being the rear sensor. No codes stored or active.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Banned

Guys, I've been on vacation. Will give a real response later today or tomorrow.

- JyRO
Old 03-31-2020, 12:09 PM

Same exact issue and scenario

I also had ball joints replaced and mine is doing the exact same thing only it's hasn't stopped and been going on for over a month. Did you figure out a fix? And if so could you describe the process please?

Thanks,
E
Originally Posted by Joe Diesel
I had the same prob a couple weeks ago. I replaced upper & lower ball joints when I went for a test drive under light braking the ABS kicked in and swerved to the right, the mechanic & I figure some dirt got into the ABS sensor when we put it back together, 3-4days later it went away. I'm going in tonite to get front diff fluid changed & I'm going to pull out the sensor & clean it out just incase
Old 04-05-2020, 08:48 AM

ABS Wheel Tone Ring Issue - after ball joints install

I saw this on another thread. I think you and I have some debris dropped in around the tone ring while the ball joints were being replaced. "Why would teeth break off the ABS tone ring in the front hubs? I just removed the front hubs and axles (as one piece) to do u-joints, upper and lower ball joints and axle seals. Put back together and within a few miles of driving started noticing the ABS pump going off at 10mph or less (foot on *or* off the brake). I thought the sensors might not have been seated right but when I saw they were and looked inside the hub this is what I saw. 3 broken teeth on driver side, 1 on passenger side. These hubs have no play in them and were replaced 57k miles ago. Truck doesn't tow or see off-road use."

To give credit where due... https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads...s-why.1409657/