2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

96 Fog light wiring colors

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 Fog light wiring colors

When I purchased my 96 last year the fog lights where working but the PO had them wired very strange. So I started cleaning up the wiring on the truck right after I purchased it and disconnected the fogs. Now I am trying to figure out which wire should go where.

Here is what I have. I have five wires coming out of the fog light switch. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that would show me where each one of these wires should go?

Thanks.......

Old 09-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Are you sure those aren't going into a relay.

Relays usually have 5 or 6 connectors: ground, power in, trigger, load 1, load 2.

The switch triggers the relay to open the line to the lights, so the switch isn't carrying the current load and getting hot.

Sorry if you already know all this, just trying to save time before I head out!!
Old 09-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Kurt they where going into a relay. But the problem is I can find any other wires that would turn on the lights. They worked when I got the truck. I just forgot to make mental note when I disconnected the PO wiring disaster. I want to just cut the wires are the fog lights and make a new harness into my switch. But I read somewhere that the fog light have a positive ground? My fog lights have two wires coming from them. Blue and Red. I am assuming one of those wires is hot and ground? I guess I am looking for some info on how to wire up the fogs with a new harness that I will go through a relay into my switch. I understand how to wire a relay. I just don't want to hook up my light the traditional hot/ground and blow something if they are truly running a positive ground. That is why I am trying to figure out what each wire color is coming out of my factory fog light switch. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Ok good! I am gonna hope someone with a 96 FSM can post up on this, its still early so somebody who knows will hopefully get in on this one.

Sounds like they weren't factory, some trucks got prewired some didn't.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:13 PM

So far this is what I have found. The wiring harness from the lights have a blue and red wire. The left and right lights come together at one plug. From that it looks like the PO has the blue wire grounded and also going back into a wire harness that goes back to the cab under the battery. The red wire in the fog light harness is cut and not plugged into anything. The lights did work when I purchased the truck. But with the rats nest the PO had I unhooked everything and cleaned up the wiring. The fogs are the last on the list. But it's almost like the wires that trigger the fogs are now missing. LOL

So this is what I need.

Where do the wires from the factory switch go?
What current do the red and blue wires carry from the fog lights?
How should I build my new harness to activate the fogs from the factory switch. I will be using a relay.

I will keep searching this forum. There has to be something already on this topic.

Thanks in advance.....
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You really need this> http://www.genosgarage.com/products.asp?dept=241

The stock fog light switch has a positive, two grounds, a switched ground and a dash dimmer light circuit terminals.
Hey that's five!
Have no idea which wire goes where on the switch, that's why you need the manual.
No positive ground but the ground is what is switched to activate the relay.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:47 PM

Infidel thanks for the link. I have a manual. But have not found it in my shop yet.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 PM

I found this on the net....

http://www.stupidproductions.ca/cf-p...ght-Wiring.pdf

http://www.stupidproductions.ca/cf-p...g-Interior.pdf
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Be careful.
One thing I've found with the year to year changes on these trucks is wire colors consistently change.
Use a wiring diagram for the correct year or it might lead you astray.