2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man
RSTL,
The Ram is not anywhere close to reliable as an 81-85 Mercedes diesel. (I have an 85SD so have lived with it.)

All of the Rams have front end issues and the 24V has the VP to deal with. For hauling not much weight with reliability, a 3/4 ton gasser will be less expensive. I had a 93 F250 with a 351 Windsor that couldn't be killed. Current status is I'd trade my 00 for a comparable 12V in a heart beat.
Yeah, there aren't many vehicles anywhere with the durability and reliability of the old W123 diesel Benz's. It's the reason I always hesitating parting with mine, even though I hardly use it at present. I tell myself it will be my car for putting around town when I'm an old geezer (I'm just a young geezer now)

Although the allure of the gasser is there, and makes sense on some levels, I strongly feel like having a Cummins in my truck. I must love the smell of diesel in the morning, or something like that...
Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Hodge
I would say that any of the three would serve you well. But, Dodge has never been known for good fuel mileage in their gas trucks. A Ford of Chevy will probably do better. But, with your budget, you will probably not find a gas engine truck that gets the mileage that they do today. I think that you will get more like 16 or so with the camper on the truck, if you have a diesel. Gas? A little less, or a lot less, depending on what engine. But, if you can find a gas truck for considerably less, and you aren't driving the truck day in and day out, then you can buy an aweful lot of gas for what you saved. Tough choices, for sure.

It is funny how people dog on Dodges, like they are really inferior. By the nature of the beast, Chrsyler has to sell a comparable truck, or the public would'nt buy them. Plus, Many Ford and Chrevrolet's share some of the very same parts- Dana axles, transfercases, etc. When you get rid of brand loyalty, what your daddy drove, who your favorite NASCAR driver is, yada yada yada, they all shake out about the same.
Thanks for that. Tough choices indeed. Maybe for fun I should run some spreadsheet calculations of what the fuel cost difference would actually be between a gas and diesel truck, for cross-continent trip of x,000 miles. Then figure out if the extra cost associated with diesel truck (purchase, repair) is balanced out by fuel savings. As someone said, price of diesel often is HIGHER than gas, which is another factor to consider...

Cheers.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 AM
Banned

I went with a Cummins because of experience with my SD & diesel. I'm planning on giving the SD to my 8yr old son when he starts driving. Big, slow, safe & reliable - perfect for adolescent. The only thing better would be to lock him in a closet starting with his stupid years & ending when his brain reengages.

Get a 12V if you can live without the back doors. I hate my VP.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
i have a 2wd and have never been stuck, the secret is never try to go where you wouldn't take your car
Old 10-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
I went with a Cummins because of experience with my SD & diesel. I'm planning on giving the SD to my 8yr old son when he starts driving. Big, slow, safe & reliable - perfect for adolescent. The only thing better would be to lock him in a closet starting with his stupid years & ending when his brain reengages.

Get a 12V if you can live without the back doors. I hate my VP.
I hear you about W123 and teenagers (I have 2 of the latter, though one is out of the house and soon to leave teeanage-ness). I had an old Volvo 240 wagon that I would let them drive, for the same reason.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:36 AM

I would suggest the 4x4. There are times when the safety factor is worth every penny it costs. Ride is fine. The single wheels should work great with the Alaskan. Standard cab I can fairly easily do the turn around on any logging road, extended cab I know wouldn't have worked, but I can imagine the added space is convenient.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:56 AM

My vote is for the 4x4. Even if you don't go off the road much - during the winter it will be a godsend. There have been quite a few times I have been driving in 2WD in the winter - only to have the rear of the truck suddenly swing out of control. To be able to reach down and engage that 4WD and straighten the truck out without having an accident, is well worth the extra cash.
When you get around to selling the vehicle, the 4x4 will repay you by getting you a higher selling price.
The extra fuel used in normal driving is negligable, in my opinion.

I bought my first 4x4 in 1985 and would never go back to 2x4.

HTH

mariner
Old 10-22-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If your set on a 12v, then given your requirements, you may have to settle on finding the best truck, not the specific truck. I have a 2wd and have had no problem in wet grass and field type stuff. I would rather have 4wd, but, I bought what I could afford for the cash I had to spend. I live in Florida so no worry about snow!!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Just another thought, Canadian & Northern 12V will have seen at least 12 winters of salt. Rust could be a real issue.
2WD has independent front suspension vs soild axle for a better ride.
Decent snow tires or aggressive AT's should work in winter, with some sand bags or steel.
4x4 will get you further, but, as you say, cost more to pull it out, since you will be WAY out there.
You may want to buy a Southern truck if that is feasible, due to rust/salt.
Good 12V are hard to come by, so an extended search may be required.
A Gas 3/4 to will NEVER get 20mpg, except down a mountain in neatral, at least , not a 10k one.
Good luck on your search!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:21 PM

A friend has a 08 F350 5.4 liter and would KILL for 12 miles per gallon empty Gets 10 loaded. Perfectly maintained truck with less than 40k on it. I get unloaded hand calculated using the GPS for miles instead of the ODO 16 around town and 20 unloaded on the highway (long trips).
Old 10-22-2010, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by supr
Just another thought, Canadian & Northern 12V will have seen at least 12 winters of salt. Rust could be a real issue.
Decent snow tires or aggressive AT's should work in winter, with some sand bags or steel.
4x4 will get you further, but, as you say, cost more to pull it out, since you will be WAY out there.
A Gas 3/4 to will NEVER get 20mpg, except down a mountain in neatral, at least , not a 10k one.
Good luck on your search!
Most places in Canada, or atleast Western Canada, don't use salt on the roads, as it would just refreeze. My truck has some rust, but its not bad. Trucks out east are way worse than they are here.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by DragonSlayer
If your set on a 12v, then given your requirements, you may have to settle on finding the best truck, not the specific truck.
Good point, a great, well cared for 2x4 is better buy than a worn-out 4x4, for long-term ownership.

Originally Posted by supr
Yes indeed, the dreaded salted roads! Some vehicles fare better than others, and at least we have some shops that do good rust-prevention treatments on an annual basis, that can keep the rust at bay. BUT: a good southern (or western) truck is something I'd rather wait for, if I have a chance to get one.

Thanks for pointing out the better ride in the 2WD, that's what someone else had told me and it makes sense, due to the independent vs solid front axle! Maybe a factor to consider for long highway runs and comfort...
Originally Posted by Tate
Most places in Canada, or atleast Western Canada, don't use salt on the roads, as it would just refreeze. My truck has some rust, but its not bad. Trucks out east are way worse than they are here.
Yes indeed. The occasional "western truck" I see around here is always very noticeably in better body shape than a local salt-rust-belt truck.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by MrKen
I would suggest the 4x4. There are times when the safety factor is worth every penny it costs. Ride is fine. The single wheels should work great with the Alaskan. Standard cab I can fairly easily do the turn around on any logging road, extended cab I know wouldn't have worked, but I can imagine the added space is convenient.
Thanks for vote of confidence on single wheels for the camper. Indeed, standard cab would have that advantage on logging or other roads, if I end up going with 4x4 it might be the way to go.

Funny thing about double rear wheel trucks: I saw one the other day that was fitted with single rear wheels, yet had the DRW extended fenders . Man, did that look silly! And as I read somewhere else, someone was saying that his young daughter didn't like the look of DRW trucks, saying "trucks weren't meant to have HIPS".
Obviously, for the right use DRW is probably indispensable, but I'd rather spare myself having to own a truck like that. Ditto for 3/4 tons with huge lifts and huge tires...
Old 10-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Bought a truck!

I just put a downpayment on a truck!!
96 Cummins 4x4, 1 ton, extended cab, auto, sliding rear window, with only 60,000 miles on it.
Original owners, retired, who pulled a 5th wheel with it. They sold the 5th wheel and bought a cottage, and don't need the truck anymore.
A few minor surface rust spots, otherwise the truck is in very good condition and drives well.
Will get a full mechanical inspection done on it this week, and adjust price if something costly is identified as needing repair.
No, the KDP has NOT been replaced on it (it's on my list!). The owner said the original engine blew up after only 150miles, and Dodge had to put a new one in.
He also said that some years ago, he had to get the "entire injection system" replaced on it, which cost around $5000! Not sure what would have necessitated that, on an engine with such low mileage. Anyway, it's been done. Exhaust is only 3 years old, tires have cracking in the threads so will need replacing eventually.
I could get it in 4H but not 4L (maybe the linkages need lubrication below, he probably never had it in 4L).
Hope all goes well with the inspection this week. If so, it will be mine and I'll be all set to put the truck camper on it in the Spring and head out!
I had passed up on a very similar one last week (97 with 150,000 miles but only 2x4) recently, and was able to get this one for $1000 less than the lowest price on the other one, which makes me feel I got a reasonably good deal.
I attach some pics for your pleasure
Cheers,
--Robert
Attached Thumbnails 2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?-96cummins1.jpg   2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?-96cummins2.jpg   2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?-96cummins5.jpg   2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?-96cummins6.jpg   2x4 or 4x4 - which is best for my use?-96cummins4.jpg  

Old 10-30-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My opinion....get the 4x4. I will never own another truck without it.

1. You have the 4wd if you need it. (insurance)

2. You have 4 low when pulling really really heavy or backing up heavy loads

3. Whatever you pay for it, it will always be worth that much more over the 2wd and most likely easier to sell

4. The biggest reason to me is looks! 4x4s, imo, simply look better and stand up tall and proud. 2wd trucks sit to low.

Good luck with your decision.