24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

wrong tranny oil in 99

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrong tranny oil in 99

My truck leaks transmission oil & on my way to work yesterday while fueling up I checked my transmission oil & it was 2 quarts low...they didnt have any of the proper oil (what is it called anyway... mopar 4?) so in a panic I put in 2 quarts of pennzoil atf....now im imagining my transmission slowly dieing...should I be in a big panic & change all the oil? Is this a big job? Where is a common place where they leak? Everything is oily under there!
thanks
Doug
Old 06-10-2010, 07:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
No, it won't kill the tranny, especially with so little of the other stuff in there. If you were to change all of it for another type it might perform differently, but I doubt you can notice any difference with your current ratio. I used to put Type F in GM transmissions to get them to shift harder. This is because Type F had a higher viscosity than ATF. I have even heard of experimentation with using hydraulic fluid in them.
Put the right stuff in at your next scheduled change and you'll be fine.

Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamey
No, it won't kill the tranny, especially with so little of the other stuff in there. If you were to change all of it for another type it might perform differently, but I doubt you can notice any difference with your current ratio. I used to put Type F in GM transmissions to get them to shift harder. This is because Type F had a higher viscosity than ATF. I have even heard of experimentation with using hydraulic fluid in them.
Put the right stuff in at your next scheduled change and you'll be fine.

Chris
+1 on it not hurting the tranny. the reason for using type F in hotrod trannys had NOTHING to do with viscosity but the additives used because of the bronze clutch plates that ford used and it did give a more aggressive shift with old type (probably asbestos) organic plates that GM used. I have also used a hydraulic wet brake oil to help with converter clutch shudder and to soften the shift's . was in the transmission biz for 35+ years.